Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's back! Sunday Game Theme Tune

• 10-05-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

The theme tune is back.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/0510/sundaygame.html?gaa

Yipee, at long last RTE have listened to the masses and done the decent thing.
    It's makes me tingle everytime I hear it and the memories as a younger lad of going to the game then watching the Sunday Game every evening.

Are you happy the theme tune is back? 38 votes

I am happy. Best news today!
    0% 0 votes
    No. Keep the old one
    92% 35 votes
    Don't really care
    7% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

link to the tune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

Sorry forgetting my age, even though it was still around until 1998 I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tyENZOXdRo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Sorry forgetting my age, even though it was still around until 1998 I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tyENZOXdRo

The remastered one. It's not going to be the exactly same at the one above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

The Sunday Game tune was around until 2004.I thought the tune from 2004-2006 was better than last years tune.I thought last years tune was a bit too tame and inappropriate and more suitable for a soccer show.It will be interesting to see the new show setup and listen to the re-mastered original tune tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kram_araman

Its great that its back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

great thats it back . hopefully the remastered version wont tamper too much with the original version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I actually preferred the last one to the spanish generic trance tripe.
    A sad day for modern Ireland:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

About time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Great to have it back...but is that chanting along to the music really necessary! Also the tempo's a bit slower than the original arrangement.

The original wasn't used the whole way till 2004 incidently - in the late 1990s they used a differnent arrangement (this was the version with the gold background and the huge GAA logo, and the BBC Sport-esq graphcis)

Lots of clips of old episodes in the last few minutes.

Talking of graphics, I see RTÉ have unvieled revised corporate style graphics today, similar to previous but given a be-leveled look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Yea, not as good as the original one. When i heard the news i thought it would be the exact same as the original but still great to have it back anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A bit slow to be honest.Its like they mixed the background music for "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel with the Original Sunday Game tune and added in humming and chanting whilst slowing it down.

Don't know what to make of it.Might warm up to it then maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I was expecting the old one. What I heard today was awful. Can my vote be changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

Didnt like it much either. everything fine bar the chanting. 'remastered - eh no???.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just heard it there, it's updated so much of been re-recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

I want the original-original tune back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Interesting changes to the 2008 series of TSG.

Anthony Tohill doing some video/statistical analysis outside of the usual panel discussion, and also this 3D graphic that uses freeze frames to pause and look at incidents. Looks like it might be something like 'HawkEye' that's used in cricket and tennis.

Not sure about the funky camera angles; it reminds me of the French producers in RWC 2007!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I like the new RTÉ Sport graphics and studio (I presume these will be rolled out to other sport programmes soon, the All-Ireland (rugby union) League final today used the old graphics, didn't catch the Premiership). They're clearly an evolution of the previous graphics but are just implemented far better. The "noise" accompaning them on studio shots is just not needed though.

However the overhead camara angle used was just plain weird. We found out what it was for when they did Man of the Match but otherwise it seemed to serve no point. Meanwhile at one stage Joanne Cantwell looked like she was talking to a CGI-generated wall, only when the cameraman used a different angle did we see Anthony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Dont like it tbh it looks like its trying to be one of those (not sure which cos i dont watch them but have seen them) premiership programs and whats the craic with the seating? What was wrong with them all sittin on the one side? Looks like oul pat spillane is being given the spanish inquisition :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

Great to hear it was coming back but then heard the remastered version its a big no I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

gerocks wrote: »
    I want the original-original tune back!

+1

What the fuk is RTE's gripe with the original music ?
    Why put a tinny studio version of the original in ?

JUST USE THE ORIGINAL JAMES LAST RECORDING !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This new remastered version is crap. It didn't sound right. If they were going to bring back the original at all, why not bring back the 'proper' original in all it's glory? That's obviously what people wanted. I'd happily have the new theme tune (from the last couple of years) over this.
    Whoever reworked this new version isn't up to much if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

With TV3 having some GAA coverage now Rte must be really trying to remind the masses that they're the home of the championship so bring back the tune was a step in doing so. Remastering it gives it the feel of been contemporary yet modern I'd say is what they're after:rolleyes:. Marketing crap, I want the old tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Here is the new remastered theme!!

http://download.yousendit.com/4E62C3812965E7D5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Advertisement