Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any sign of a new Golf?

Options
  • 10-05-2008 5:33pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know when VW are going to change the Golf?

I think they brought the current one out in '04. Do they normally change them after 5yrs? With the new Focus will the pressure be on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wouldn't expect a MKVI Golf until mid 2010 at the earliest.

*In Ireland. It may get to LHD markets in late 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Should be out towards mid to late 2009. link to news about it http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/213369/volkswagen_golf.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MkVI Golf is due within 12 months, current MkIV is very expensive for VW to produce that is why it has a shorter life cycle.

Don't expect major changes to the MkVI though as it will pretty much use the same floor plan as the MkV, suspension set up will be simplified to cut costs and nearly all TSi engines introduced in the MkV over the last 18 months will be carried over. Along with the old 1.9 TDi the new common rail 2.0 TDi from the A4 and Passat will be available too.

For those also interested the new Ford Focus is due in about 2 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Yes they're ditching the very expensive multi-link independent rear suspension for the US anyway, and they're "simplifying" it for us too, whatever that could be.

It'll be more a Mk5.5 than anything really, since it will be based on the current car and most of the engines will be carried over too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭GBX

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Those artist pics remind me of an Alfa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

Im waiting for the new scirocco, im getting bored of the Golfs now so hope its abit of a change e.g. the dash and we need afew more gadgets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

1. A new Focus has not been recently released. Its still the Mark 2 Focus with a bit of restyling at the front. It was badly needed as the front of the Mark 2 always took a bit of stick.

2. The front of the Mark 6 rendering looks like a mangled Polo. I seriously hope that isn't going to be it.

3. VW need to focus on the interior more than the exterior. In my mind, the Golf is still the best looking hatchback on the road, even after 4 years.

4. I presume the new GTi will be 4WD if it will have a 280 bhp engine. 280bhp in FWD would be dangerous.

5. I like the look of the new Scirocco. Might take away from GTi sales though.

No new Focus till 2011 at the earliest. And like the original and the new Fiesta, it will be a world car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Niall1234 wrote: »
    1. A new Focus has not been recently released. Its still the Mark 2 Focus with a bit of restyling at the front. It was badly needed as the front of the Mark 2 always took a bit of stick.

2. The front of the Mark 6 rendering looks like a mangled Polo. I seriously hope that isn't going to be it.

3. VW need to focus on the interior more than the exterior. In my mind, the Golf is still the best looking hatchback on the road, even after 4 years.

4. I presume the new GTi will be 4WD if it will have a 280 bhp engine. 280bhp in FWD would be dangerous.

5. I like the look of the new Scirocco. Might take away from GTi sales though.
    GTI will probably still be front wheel drive. 2 reasons, GTI tradition and plus they cant make the GTI better than the golf R32 or the audi s3. Look at the new focus Rs, it will be front wheel drive.

• Advertisement

Sending 280 bhp to the front wheels will prove to be a mistake by Ford, quasi torque differential or not, that's all I can say.

Isn't 220 bhp about the height of what can be sent to the front wheels anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

E92 wrote: »
    Sending 280 bhp to the front wheels will prove to be a mistake by Ford, quasi torque differential or not, that's all I can say.

Isn't 220 bhp about the height of what can be sent to the front wheels anyway?

No i know someone with a 280bhp GTI.It drives perfect and is fun :)

Advertisement