Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Market

Options
  • 10-05-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I would like to start a thread on the market in the city, I feel it really is getting better and better. I have to say that there is a stall on the market inside that sells fish, and the queues are huge anytime I go, fish is fantastic, so fresh and fairly cheap. There are also other great stalls , being Piet the dutch cheese guy, and his competitor the belgian bloke in the corner.

So basically does anyone go to the market, what can they recommend, I have always longed for curry early Saturday morning from the indian guy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

the pig on a spit. THE PIG ON A SPIT!!!!!!!

the guys outside are fairly handy for re-claiming your stolen goods aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Jebus yes Rino, I saw the pig on the spit y'day looked damn damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Curry is excellent. See http://www.greensaffron.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Willstev wrote: »
    I have to say that there is a stall on the market inside that sells fish, and the queues are huge anytime I go, fish is fantastic, so fresh and fairly cheap.

+1 for the fish stall

I also love the stuff from the olive stall, very tasty but slightly overpriced.

That french guy in the corner selling homemade pates, terrines and salamis.

And the crepes are delicious, check www.fleurdesel.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah , I agree that the Limerick market is a wonderful place. It has now become quite cosmopolitan and it is nice to see the variety of food on offer. The plants and flowers are superb this time of the year, I also like the home baking on offer. From time to time, there is a harpist playing there and sometimes traditional music adds to the ambience. Some of the traditional stand holders have passed on and unfortunately their is no one to follow the tradition.
    The fish is superb , fresh and quite reasonably priced. The reason for the queue is that the fish is filleted there as it has only been landed the previious evening.
    There has also been a few painting stands and photography and Paddy who does the copper shaping.
    Long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Has anyone ate from the place that does the pig on the spit. Have had a longing for it since I heard about it!

yes. it's as good as you think it will be. you need to be there early for it though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cathyb03

what time does the market open and close at? Is it best to go early to sample or buy the products or is there a good choice during the day.

I think it kicks off at 8 and finishs at 2.

Anytime I go , I head in for 9am , last week I went in around 10 and it was a disaster far too busy. Only thing about going earlier is not everything is ready yet.

I have to say I havent been around sampling , I generally just buy to take home. Saying that , this is probably the reason, I set up this thread, cause I want to know are the pancakes good, is the curry good etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭limerickwoman

From my experience I recommend going there early ( most of the traders are ready before 8 am.)
    Every Saturday I head in for 8.30. It's nice and still kind of 'quiet'.
    By the way curry is delicious, pancakes yummy...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Didnt know it would be open as early as 8:30 thats good to know.

The Pig on the spit is weird from me. I am a huge animal lover but
    also a huge meat eater lover! the overall image of the Pig on a spit
    seems a but crude for me but there is still a severe urge to actually try
    and taste a bit of it to see if it tastes great!

I suppose its the image of it all. Sad but true but if I see the entire PIG on a spit
    I feel some empathy for the poor creature that was killed so us Humans could eat it. Its all very well to forget about things when we look at our lovely sliced
    ham in Tescos shelves but another thing to see the entire animal dead and cooked.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sure pigs are only waiting for a chance to eat us. Haven't you ever seen snatch?

The market is great, pancakes are a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I found the pig a bit dry though. Really stuck in my craw:D

The Green Saffron curry is fantastic and the French guy has some beautiful seafood pates. His sea spaghetti is really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beatricebutrus

A lot of the stalls aim to be in and setting up around seven, and there are regularly some customers milling about at half seven. And there are always people coming in for curry and hot dogs for breakfast at half eight which never fails to amuse me. Because of the nature of the area, the stalls have to leave around two so the square turns back into a carpark which is a pity as that's when a lot of people are just getting back into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

not to miss the cheese shop/stall. the owner is a real character - especially on her bad days if she is cranky...

A lot of the stalls aim to be in and setting up around seven, and there are regularly some customers milling about at half seven. And there are always people coming in for curry and hot dogs for breakfast at half eight which never fails to amuse me. Because of the nature of the area, the stalls have to leave around two so the square turns back into a carpark which is a pity as that's when a lot of people are just getting back into town.

yeah, it would be great if it stayed open longer. I have often had great intentions of going in but my bed always seems too bloody comfy!!

come to think of it, most of the times ive been there is when i still happened to be up after work/night out etc..

is there still the sunday market on bedford row?? ive only seen it once or twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

there is a plan to put kind of an "open" roof on it (canvas-like) to make it a 7-day-market. the stall holders and the shop holders can't agree if this is good or bad. there are two different petetitions pro and con now! and objections because the roof would be against the nature of the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Eyeofbuddha

pancakes yummy...;)
    Yes the crepes are gorgeous and reasonably priced- a must- so are the chocolates sold at one of the gates.
    The French guy at the corner does delicious Patés, try his Salmon salad, ideal for summertime!
    There is also a French pastry chef who makes delicious things, for a very good price also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

I found the pig a bit dry though. Really stuck in my craw:D

I also tried the pig and found it very dry.
    not to miss the cheese shop/stall. the owner is a real character - especially on her bad days if she is cranky...

lol, she can be sometimes
    RINO87 wrote: »
    is there still the sunday market on bedford row?? ive only seen it once or twice

Yes, apparently it started again in April, I only discovered it last week.
    there is a plan to put kind of an "open" roof on it (canvas-like) to make it a 7-day-market. the stall holders and the shop holders can't agree if this is good or bad. there are two different petetitions pro and con now! and objections because the roof would be against the nature of the building

It would be great to have a 6/7 days market in Limerick. It's a feature the city should have.

Sorry for bringing this thread from the graveyard.

Did you read the Limerick Chronicle today? Is that petition stupid or what?

I think roofing the Milk Market is a brillant idea, having a 6 day market would add character to the city.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

Sorry for bringing this thread from the graveyard.

Did you read the Limerick Chronicle today? Is that petition stupid or what?

I think roofing the Milk Market is a brillant idea, having a 6 day market would add character to the city.

What do you think?
    I think it would be class having a 6 day market.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Yeah would be a great idea, our own little eastenders.

Be great to be able to nip in there and get stuff I usually get the weekends during the week instead.

I cant help but love the market ;), its got so much great stuff there.

Van Zuylen wrote: »
    Be great to be able to nip in there and get stuff I usually get the weekends during the week instead.

I cant help but love the market ;), its got so much great stuff there.

That's exactly what I think, a great place for getting fresh products. Sadly, it's only on saturday.

I would love to be able to get there during the week, having a market running 6 days a week a bit like the one in Cork would be great for the city.

Are these people mad objecting to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Just a question on the 6 day opening - if the stalls are being run by the food producers and the market is open for the 6 days when do they get the chance to grow and reap their crops?

What I like about the market is that generally you meet the farmers that harvested their crops on Friday evening and are selling them on Saturday morning, if the market was to open for 6 days would we end up with stall sellers buying fromt he farmers and selling it on in the market, if that was to happenn would we be as well of to go to the friut and veg shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Pshan wrote: »
    Just a question on the 6 day opening - if the stalls are being run by the food producers and the market is open for the 6 days when do they get the chance to grow and reap their crops?

What I like about the market is that generally you meet the farmers that harvested their crops on Friday evening and are selling them on Saturday morning, if the market was to open for 6 days would we end up with stall sellers buying fromt he farmers and selling it on in the market, if that was to happenn would we be as well of to go to the friut and veg shop?

Good point, you could just end up a range of open air shops, no different to your grocers. In theory it is a great idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think any move to six day openings will be gradual enough, but clearly it has a lot of room and scope for improvement.

I can see the reason for the objection, but I think there is bound to be a way around it, like having different stalls on different days etc.

It's a pity it's kinda at the edge of the town. Would love to see the Opera centre and hopefully (years down the line) a redevelopment of Watergate into commercial streets. If and when the Opera centre opens, it has the scope to really transform the Market/Watergate area. Hopefully it will be done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i love the sausages the english guys sells.. the ones with the bread rolls and ketchup and mustard.. and the chocolate brownies from the pastry crowd in the corner by the back of the chipper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

I'm intrigued by all this talk of pancakes. Where is this stall located? I'm a huge fan of the pig on the spit. Incredible cure for a hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

This sounds fantastic..where is it located exactly?
    Thanks!

Advertisement