Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who 30x06 The Doctors Daughter

• 10-05-2008 7:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Horrid Horrid Horrid Crap

I've loved every episode this season
    But this was pure tosh.
    Set up only to create the Jenny character.
    Who will no doubt get her own spin off.
    Jennys creation = Crap
    Jennys "regeneration" where she stays looking the same= Crap

If she remains a Time Lord The Doctor would continue to sence her but does not.

Martha = Wasted

Donna works out the maths of the creation but not the Doctor = Crap

All in all one to forget if not for the fact that "Jenny" will be back as a saturday morning kids TV money spinner TV show.

Im really really pissed off with this episode

EDIT
    IO cannot stress how much this episode
    angered me

It was not an episopde of Doctor Who

It was a 45 min product placement

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

I disagree with almost everything you just said...

This was a fantastic episode and
    I can't wait to see what they do with Jenny. I think you're wrong about the sensing her thing, because he didn't even realise she was a time lord to begin with. It was great seeing Matha out on her own, seeing how much she has learned from her time in UNIT, and with the Doctor. I thought it was great that Donna figured out the date thing, showing how distracted the Doctor was with his new "daughter" and the pain he was feeling about his lost family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Well lets agree to dissagree but the Doctor made clear jennys creation was all part of a paradox , and he made it clear before the he knows in his head if there any Time lords around.
    I still stress that Jennys creation and all of this episode was mearly to set up her spin off series and a pure waste of an episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

He made it clear that if he was in the presence of a Time Lord, he'd know. Not if he was millions of miles or time from them. Which was why he didn't know the Master was about even when they ran into him at first. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think they took a good idea and executed it well. I mean, by your thinking, the Captain Jack episodes were purely to lead into Torchwood and that they were a waste, but I enjoyed those episodes for what they were.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Muck, drivel, crap, waste of time - many such phrases could rightfully be used to describe this. Once again I'm wonder why and how the hell Greenhorn got a writing job on the show (he wrote the turgid "Lazarus" for S3 too).

I'll agree with everything Robster said - the premise was poor, the execution was off, and Jenny most of all was uninteresting. Her bonding with the Doctor over so short of a time felt highly unbelievable and I
    cheered when she "died" and was annoyed when she was still alive
    . The plot was nonsensical - Martha's reason for going outside were weak, the idea of multiple generations in hours was daft, the reason for the cloning the Doctor (but not the others) unclear (and why not clone him multiple times) and...

I could on. It was rubbish and I hope the only spin-off for Jenny is her ship spinning off into the core of a star. Crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

1. You don't have to put discussion of this episode in spoiler tags once it has aired.

2. I thought this was an awful episode.

3. Freema is a brutal actor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

I did not like this at all, the fact that Tennant held the gun to the guys head, and you actually taught the writers wanted to convince us the Dr was simply going to shoot someone for revenge. Donna was great, and Martha was wasted, but I dont think it was all THAT bad. It could have been better, like 'Sound of Drums' better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

Well I thought that episode was a really good episode! I actually thought martha's character was put to really good use, showing us the haths side of the battle and her reaction to the death of the hath she helped showed us why martha cant travel with the doctor anymore because she is so effected by the bad things that are a part of traveling with the doctor. Also does anyone else think that martha is the companion whos probably had the worst experiences with the doctor? (being stuck without him in "family of blood", trapped in the 60s in "blink" and having to travel the world alone while her family was tortured during series 3 finale!)
    I really liked Jennys Character too! Seeing how both her and the doctors personalities changed through knowing each other.
    Donna was brilliant as she has been since the start of the series. Overall this will defo be an episode i'll watch again and again when the dvd comes out!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I was disappointed when Jenny was killed, and disappointed even further when the Doctor didn't pull the trigger - I was hoping we'd see a darker side of him.
    However, when Jenny came back to life, I realised that it wasn't another big cop out from the writers. I highly doubt, they introduced her merely to bring her in for a spin-off series (if that turns out to be the case, well then I agree it's crap), however I'm hoping Jenny will return in the finale and become the Doctor's new companion for the specials and for season 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think you're all forgetting the most important thing, jenny was gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

i think you're all forgetting the most important thing, jenny was gorgeous.

Seconded. And apparently she really is the doctor's daughter (Peter Daivdson's, according to IMDB)

I thought the premise was ok, but they didn't really do much with it. There was no drama and no tension. A fluffer episode.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That was a very flat episode for something that was clearly meant to be a momentous event, ie, The Doctor's Daughter. The development of The Doctor & Jenny took place far too quickly (heck, even her creation took place too quickly to register) and we weren't given enough time to digest this new part of the Doctor's character. Add to that Jenny's sudden "oooh, I'm just like my Dad off I go to save the world" & it all felt a bit too pat.

As already mentioned, the script & execution was uninspired & quite poor. The plot twist was nicely done, but otherwise it all felt like filler of the highest order. I don't think Jenny will get her own show to be honest, there's already two spin offs as it is. You can guarantee she'll appear at a later point in the show though, that much is for sure.

I would give it 5 out of 10 if I had to award marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

that was poor. bad writing, bad acting, bad directing, bad effects.

still though, it had a certain something that made me enjoy it.
    jenny was gorgeous.

can't think what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

weakest episode this season.

-Martha was wasted and she had a bad day acting wise, nowhere near as strong as she was by the end of the third season. In fact for creating such a fantastic character they have wasted her both in season 4 and in torchwood season 2. Really I am a big fan of her character but unless they were going to take it somewhere they should have left it with her strong finale of season 3.

-The plot was very hohumm lots of holes and with little or no pace to it.

-The Doctor neither had the force of nature he can have when he's on a mission, (finale to the family of blood) nor the charm (like he did in the planet of the ood), he seemed to be there just to be put out of place by jenny, which really was for one scene.

-Donna might have been the only character that kept up some manner of interest, her goading of the doctor was good enough, figuring out the puzzle might have been pushing it, but how the episode ending with her affirmation of travelling forever is a really good point for setting up the character for the expected fall near the series end.

-Jenny really felt like a once off character, far too cheery about everything. And the reveal of how the *daughter* came about was either badly handled or just a really bad idea because when it happened all I could think was...*lame*

-the SFX must have been going for a nod back to the original series because they took a huge step down in comparison to all the previous episodes, everything looked really really bad.

Overall the most disapointing episode this season.

EDIT:

one comment i liked that got mentioned a few times was the constant running gag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Desperate episode. I was so looking forward to it based on the premise and maybe that was the problem. To hear RTD and co fawn over it on Confidential = bleurgh. But the actress should know she looks way better with the blonde look than that ginger mop!

linkage to ginger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

linkage to ginger?

Doctor Who Confidential. Y'know, the show in which RTD fawns over the content of each episode. Georgia Moffett had a big head of red hair and looked 10 years older than Jenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

ABSOLUTE DRIVEL!
    It's very VERY annoying that the likes of Greenhorn are consistently allowed to bring this slobber to our TV screens. The entire episode was predictable, nonsensical, and just downright sh1te. It may have had a few cheap thrills, but even those were AWFUL. My 10 year old brother was watching it and said ''I thought Doctor Who was good''. I had to break out ''42'' then...
    I am DYING for a Mofatt episode...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Supposedly the next one, "The Unicorn & The Wasp", is also a bit of a clunker according to early reviews. Though it couldn't be as bad as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Is it an RTD episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No, Gareth Roberts - he of last year's The Shakespeare Code.

• Advertisement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor%27s_Daughter
    Having Jenny come back to life at the end of the episode was Steven Moffat's idea.
    Really? Does this mean that he sees some potential for the character?

After all, everyone seemed to hate Donna at first as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bar the ****e ending, I didn't mind it too much. Hee hee, that means I get to use the catch-all criticism blockers this time round. You know lads, it's meant to be a bit of fun, not to be taken seriously, meant for kids ya know, nothing wrong with mindless hot girl jumping through lasers action on a Saturday afternoon:p I did like the way the Doctor's constant running was ridiculed in this episode. The 10th Doctor should really have chosen a running singlet as his costume with all the running he does :)

Just a thought on the science at the start. The Doctor said the machine worked by causing the parent cells to undergo meiosis, then recombining these cells as you would with a normal mother and father. Since chromosomal crossover occurs during meiosis, this would allow some degree of variation between parent and offspring that you wouldn't get with straight cloning. However since mixing haploid cells from the same source significantly increases the chances that recessive genes carried by the parent become expressed in the offspring, shouldn't that mean that the Doctor's daughter should look like something more akin to Shannon Matthews? :p Then again, Georgia Moffett was the real life daughter of Peter Davison and Sandra Dickinson, who weren't exactly lookers, so I guess some things aren't impossible, just "unlikely" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

So a clone can be fully grown, educated and dressed in about 3 seconds?

Also... was she wearing mascara?

Don't forget the convenient hair-bob.

and the convenient awesome tits

Of course, lord knows what the progeny would have looked like if it was the Sylvester McCoy Doctor ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It stank, pretty much.

I can't add much more than what's already been said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I have no memory whatsoever of this ep............. actually that's wishfull thinking.

Martha on the outside - nice to see Harry from the 70's got one of his plots photocopied. The constant referece to running may have been a cynical script editors jokes on the actual ep.

As for Jenny, please god what a terrible terrible waste. Again RTD has just decided to mesds around with the character of the doctor - lets face it we've been waiting for decades to see his child(ren) - and for what, a cheap trick.

Nice to see Nigel Terry, long time since he was in Wicklow in armour :)

Miud season slump is upon us so. I hope all you newbies stick around...... if tradition is in vouge we'll have two or three stinkers, a fantastic two and then a terrible over cooked finale from head boy himself.

I have no memory whatsoever of this ep............. actually that's wishfull thinking.

Martha on the outside - nice to see Harry from the 70's got one of his plots photocopied. The constant referece to running may have been a cynical script editors jokes on the actual ep.

As for Jenny, please god what a terrible terrible waste. Again RTD has just decided to mesds around with the character of the doctor - lets face it we've been waiting for decades to see his child(ren) - and for what, a cheap trick.

Nice to see Nigel Terry, long time since he was in Wicklow in armour :)

Miud season slump is upon us so. I hope all you newbies stick around...... if tradition is in vouge we'll have two or three stinkers, a fantastic two and then a terrible over cooked finale from head boy himself.
    So thats Gareth Roberts, Stephen Moffat and RTD all in the right running order then :)

• Advertisement

Well considering it's an open secret who is in the finale, to be honest, I'm already preparing myself for the overwrought final adventure (perhaps a swansong for RTD?)

Advertisement