Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii Fit Was A Good Idea

Options
  • 10-05-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

I was around at my friends last night, and his brother got the Wii fit, i had to measure myself out first with a school ruler! :pac: It guides you through the steps,measures your center of gravity and lets you know if your posture is good or not, mine was a bit off the enter...you then enter your height and date of birth, It then calculates if your under weight, ideal, overweight or obese. I got a bit over the middle in ideal, it then calculated my fitness age, i somehow managed to get bang on 19. It then asked how much weight you want to loose or gain, i just picked 2KG in two weeks as a challenge.

So we started doing Muscle Workouts, theres one were you have to do push ups, which gets pretty hard as you progress into the different sections, you unlock new workouts and mini games. The game kind of pushes you, and has you competing against your mates/family members, so it keeps you interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

can't see all the fatties buying it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

was a good idea though, I can see it sell by the bucket load...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    was a good idea though, I can see it sell by the bucket load...

Yeah it has been, it was sold out the other day, mostly mothers buying it for themselves and their children. My mates ma bought that for his brother cause she wanted to use it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

MooseJam wrote: »
    can't see all the fatties buying it though
    The fatties might buy it out of curiousity but once the novelty has worn off it'll be consigned to gather dust on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Would like to see it work with boarding games.

Could be fun

Apart from that, I think it is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Rabies wrote: »
    It's early in the morning so maybe my brain isn't working right but what's a boarding game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Rabies wrote: »

There's a skiing, ski jumping and snow boarding section in Wii Fit.

Probably not the most accurate representation, but still fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

malice_ wrote: »
    It's early in the morning so maybe my brain isn't working right but what's a boarding game?
    surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

malice_ wrote: »
    The fatties might buy it out of curiousity but once the novelty has worn off it'll be consigned to gather dust on the shelf.

QFT

20080416.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I was around at my friends last night, and his brother got the Wii fit, i had to measure myself out first with a school ruler! :pac: It guides you through the steps,measures your center of gravity and lets you know if your posture is good or not, mine was a bit off the enter...you then enter your height and date of birth, It then calculates if your under weight, ideal, overweight or obese. I got a bit over the middle in ideal, it then calculated my fitness age, i somehow managed to get bang on 19. It then asked how much weight you want to loose or gain, i just picked 2KG in two weeks as a challenge.

So we started doing Muscle Workouts, theres one were you have to do push ups, which gets pretty hard as you progress into the different sections, you unlock new workouts and mini games. The game kind of pushes you, and has you competing against your mates/family members, so it keeps you interested.

I assume it's using BMI for this bit, so be careful how you interpret what it's telling you. Although I guess anyone who understands how BMI works won't be buying a Wii Fit anyway.

Out of curiosity, how does the "weight gain" part work? I'm sure "weight loss" would be easy to implement, but I don't see how it could be of any use for weight gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There was a bit in the paper, here, where some guy was complaining that the game called his 9 year old daughter "fat", based on her BMI.

Probably not the best game to buy for self concious children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Blisterman wrote: »
    There was a bit in the paper, here, where some guy was complaining that the game called his 9 year old daughter "fat", based on her BMI.

Probably not the best game to buy for self concious children.

The truth hurts...:D
    I assume it's using BMI for this bit, so be careful how you interpret what it's telling you. Although I guess anyone who understands how BMI works won't be buying a Wii Fit anyway.

Out of curiosity, how does the "weight gain" part work? I'm sure "weight loss" would be easy to implement, but I don't see how it could be of any use for weight gain.

I'm not sure how the weight gain works? I'm pretty sure it advises you to eat well and to consult a doctor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

as far as i can gather from playing it abit it doesnt give diet tips, it's just for some fun workouts and i guess as far as monitoring weight gain/loss it can't really be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

oh man the Wii fit is going to be SOOO much better than the roll & rocker

what is up with nintendo and always having more peripherals than actual games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

mayordenis wrote: »
    as far as i can gather from playing it abit it doesnt give diet tips, it's just for some fun workouts and i guess as far as monitoring weight gain/loss it can't really be beaten.

Well, I guess my point is that weight-gain is probably not achievable with something like this. Weight loss should be easy: just throw in a load of cardio-related workouts, and away you go. If you stick at it and work on your diet as well, you'll see results. But weight-gain needs a proper gym regime (and more specialized diets than for weight loss), so I'd guess that any weight-gain statements the Wii Fit makes are just gimicky (unless it gives you the Irish advice of drinking 10 pints of guinness a day :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

somebody posted a funny parody on the wii fit on youtube there somewhere, anyone got a link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

MooseJam wrote: »
    somebody posted a funny parody on the wii fit on youtube there somewhere, anyone got a link ?

Think it's linked to in the Wii Fit thread in the Consoles > Nintendo forum

Advertisement