Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinks you like/don't like in GTA

• 10-05-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Like:
    • Love the taxi service/Roman's cabs
    • I actually really like the handling and variation between all the cars
    • The city, size and layout, much better than San Andreas with all those pointless fields.
    • The new Cops/Star system and escaping the radius
    • The fact that cars don't blow up when you roll them
    • A trip to hospital doesn't take your weapons
    • The improved AI of pedestrians and the random situations it can lead to
    • The phone
    • The random stuff that happens when you don't touch the controller for a while and just let Niko stand there.
    • Being able to retry missions again straight away
    • The improved graphics
    • The difference between night and day, number/type of people on the streets etc
    • Getting drunk
    Don't like:
    • The stupid mini games and constantly having to take your buddies/girlfriend for food/bowling/darts.
    • Scenery pop-up
    • Getting knocked down takes you too long to recover
    • Causing carnage and walking a short distance away, then coming back and finding it all cleaned up.
    • Chasing a pedestrian or car around a corner only to find them vanish into thin air when you get around.
    • The music
    • Not being able to stand on the roof of a train and let it move away with you still on it
    • No more hidden packages, pidgeons just aren't the same.
    I'll think of some more later.

Comments

Vehicle repetition, come on it's been like this since GTA 4

Lack of cars at times can be very frustrating

Don't like the music as much in this then Vice City and SA, it's akin to GTA3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Like:
    The music, I think it's a pretty good variety. Everything from Jean Michel Jarre to Marvin Gaye and some other weird Russian stuff. Good selection.
    The phone
    The dialogue on the street/between characters when driving around
    Damage on the cars is more realistic as is the handling.
    The internet cafe :D

Dislike:
    The problems loading (now solved on mine)
    A lot more cops, they seem to come after you for the smallest thing.

Can't really think of much more I dislike about it, great game tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Definitely dislike not being able to do anything illegal without having cops after you, especially in algonquin. Fire a weapon or try and rob a car and you automatically get 1 star. Fairly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I hate the wanted level system, bring back the old one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Definitely dislike not being able to do anything illegal without having cops after you, especially in algonquin. Fire a weapon or try and rob a car and you automatically get 1 star. Fairly annoying.
    +1, it's feckin annoying... but i suppose thats what the game is all about...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

If they had no consequences for illegal actions, the game would get bans right, left and centre, get refused ratings, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the city, it's big and totally believeable.
    the statue of hil-dawg.
    car handling
    car camera off centreness.

dislikes:

the pitch of the angle of the camera when in a car, finding myself constantly holding down on the analogue stick.
    the lack of clothes stores, there's 4 and two of them a percius or however it's spelt.

see not many dislikes and one of them is not really a problem (the clothes) but the camera pitch is fecking awful tbh you just can't see where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

Lets see now after playing for a bit im on the third island but not finished yet.

I like
    the detail on cars is unreal the city lives up to the hype, the main character becomes likable..hated him at first.
    The fact that crashing hard brings you out the windsheild in a hail of glass.
    The new sniper rifle that allows quick shots in succession
    The amount of people in the city/people doing different things e.g. sweeping fixing cars generally going about daily business.
    The cut scenes which really feel like they are happening in the place- see the bank job.
    The whole taxi idea...gets annoying driving everywhere
    The mobile phone has become the most innovative thing in any game series ever
    Multiplayer rocks minus a dew things (see below)

Ok dislikes (always gonna out weigh the likes)

The plot line is linear yet there is such non-linear progression not in a good way, somethings dont seem to tie in like you have a new mission on your radar so you go and do it not remembering where that mission came from then you read your text and its advising you but you never noticed getting it,

too many characters in play for too shor a time..doesnt really get you invested in things like if you have to choose if to kill someone or not or deciding one of two to kill you having nothing invested in either person so you dont really give a ****e who you kill because you only know the cliched portrait they have given you.

(these all seem to be plot/character based)

How you can see something coming a mile away in the plot no suprises...(yet to be surprised) for example Michelle i went on two dates with her and my little bro (15) says i bet she is a cop or something and i thought ya know what i bet she is...she was as good as.

will have to ditto the whole appearing/lack of cars thing too so annoying

in a queue of driving taxis sometimes none pull over leaving you stranded like a walk-of-shamer

not enough guns

City not hugemongus enough

the boring "steal a car" missions i am getting constant texts and emails about that are not needed to further the game and yet im being spammed TELL ME ONCE DAMMIT

friends being the most needy people in the world...if you were to keep up with their demands just to ensure you have all the little services they give you you could never play the game just go on constant dates/friend dates aaaaaaall day long.

really touchy cops- i went to jack a car..noticed a cop car was nearby so moved away to stop but my hand had touched the handle of the car so of course i was guilty and deserving of losing all my guns and a night in the cells all because the AI knew that i pressed triangle with intent IM INNOCENT MAN I SWEAR!

no parachutes (that i have found)

no silencers...that would have rocked

not able to hang down off ledges

grenades are too realistic (as in blast radius) i wanna see some destruction dammit throwing into a group always leaves some survivors.

the sheer volume of cops in the city

and thats just what i can think of now...but im whining still the best game i have ever played..and i have played scrabble

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

@ cremo.....yea my thumb is sore from holding down analogue too i cant see over hills when driving so inevitably BAM cop car gets rear ended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

There is one thing that has started to really anoy me
    Your walking along and flip the camera behind you to
    try find a car or what ever there is nothing there !
    then you flip it around again and there's a crap load of traffic !:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

Damn, all this talk of GTA makes me really want it!! would you believe a town of dundalks size, and i cant get it anywhere! from what all of you are saying it sound feckin class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kingcurls wrote: »

How you can see something coming a mile away in the plot no suprises...(yet to be surprised) for example
    Michelle i went on two dates with her and my little bro (15) says i bet she is a cop or something and i thought ya know what i bet she is...she was as good as.

Ok mate you may of had a problem with this or seen it a mile away but not everyone looking at these threads may have got that far so try use the spoiler tags,you could be ruining it for a lot of people as that's part of the storyline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Likes -
    - Taking out choppers by shooting the pilot with a Sniper Rifle:D
    - The aiming/cover system
    - Realistic car damage and being sent flying through the windscreen
    - Huge immersive city
    - The mobile phone
    - Ricky Gervais

Dislikes -
    - The God awful handling of cars
    - Lack of different scenery like the desert in SA
    - Having to buy new weapons when my ammo runs out
    - Apparent lack of cool military vehicles like the tank and fighter jet(Have i just not got far enough or they actually not there?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's no military in GTA4 - they've been replaced by NOOSE.
    Also you don't have to buy new weapons when your ammo runs out - just new ammo! i.e. its a lot cheaper than buying the same gun again and again to get more ammo like you had to in the previous games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭dublander

the spawning of cars wrecks my head. whatever type of car you are currently driving then 70% of the other cars are that. so annoying! its difficult to find a comet/turismo anywhere, as soon as u get one then they're all over the place!

oh & thnks to the guy who gave me that little nugget of info on michelle. i hadnt got that far. a spoiler tag would have been helpful

Stephen wrote: »
    There's no military in GTA4 - they've been replaced by NOOSE.
    Also you don't have to buy new weapons when your ammo runs out - just new ammo! i.e. its a lot cheaper than buying the same gun again and again to get more ammo like you had to in the previous games.
    You sure about that?! I've ran out of ammo with my RPG and I've had to buy the weapon again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Stephen wrote: »

Incorrect. If you use all the ammo in a weapon, it effectively is discarded. This is porving very costly.

Is anyone else milling through their cash. I already earned the $250,000 and fair few other quid, yet i'm down to about $20,000 as the cost of stocking up on ammo for a mission is quite costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

having to restart the game due to glitches in the story line meaning I cant continue the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Incorrect. If you use all the ammo in a weapon, it effectively is discarded. This is porving very costly.

Is anyone else milling through their cash. I already earned the $250,000 and fair few other quid, yet i'm down to about $20,000 as the cost of stocking up on ammo for a mission is quite costly.

Do all of Jacobs missions and you get cheaper weapons. Don't worry about spending it anyway, you never need it for anything other than guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Don't worry about spending it anyway, you never need it for anything other than guns.
    i find that in real life too! :D

oh, and if you have problems with losing too much cash from having to keep buying guns & ammo when you've failed missions, just make sure you save your game with full ammo before a mission (or by doing a little mission like stealing a car for brucie so it saves the game when you complete it.

that way if you get creamed after using up all your ammo, you can just load the savegame and get a joe maxi back to the mission start. much cheaper than having to keep buying guns. ;)

• Advertisement

Ho are people stuck for money?! I was never stuck once the whole way through it! ave the main story done and have over 800,000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Anybody see that new gamer programme on Bravo ‘playr’. They were doing a review of gta and showed news reports of the bad press in america of the game. We think we have it bad. I seriously could not believe what I was hearing form the news channels over there. ‘a man was robbed today at a train station in harlem – right beside a poster of the new Grand theft auto game and blah blah blah…’ I hope somebody else seen it! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ho are people stuck for money?! I was never stuck once the whole way through it! ave the main story done and have over 800,000!

Because guns and ho's can cost a pretty penny.

There ot that expensive though,shouldn't be hitting peple that hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dermy

Waaaay too much stuff to list for likes, so I'll just list my dislikes. There are not many, but they are biggies!

1. Cut scenes, cut scenes, cut scenes. I hate cut scenes. If I want to watch a DVD I'll rent one. I don't mind quick cut scenes to let you know the mission, but some of the ones I've seen so far take absolutely ages to get to the point and before they do get to the point there are REALLY dull. I use to read magazines during them, now I just plain skip them and try to figure out the mission as I go.

2. Needy friends. I don't ever want to do bowling/pool/darts/etc., if I did I'd buy an atari classic arcade pack. I want to drive cars and shoot guns. That's why I bought GTA.

3. Girlfriends. Same as #2 above. My actual girlfriend is demanding enough without having to deal with virtual nonsense too.

4. Internet. Virtual virtuality? What a waste. Can I please get back to driving/shooting and stop doing poxy missions where I have to go to an internet cafe??? And as for email... again I am annoyed enough with real email without having to simulate it in games.

5. Mobile phone. Similar to #4. Don't mind the idea in principle, but I don't want spam messages or calls about bloody bowling or dates etc.

6. Clothes shops. Boring. Don't make me buy clothes, if I must change clothes then just give me free bonus gear the odd time for achieving stuff or something.

7. The camera angle for corners and hills. Nobody ever wants to have to manually adjust camera angles while enjoying drifting around the corner.

8. Music. The music sucks this time around, and worse you can't play your own mp3s. I turn the radio off every single time I get in a car. Channels were pretty good in prior versions.

Generally I wish they kept GTA more like the earlier games and spend time & money on the environments, the cars, the missions and so on, and just completely ditch all the life simulation rubbish. At least you don't have to get haircuts and tats and go to the gym like you did in SA.

Rant over. I love every other aspect of this game.
    d:eek:

One thing i've been thinking off, on the entrance load up screen where a few pictures cycle over it shows two cops in a way like there characters in the game, as i went through it i was expecting to work with them. To represent the cops as a whole they should have just showed a car or someone from a distance, the way its up close and in detail points to them been characters.

Anyone else think this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The car handling is the best part about this game I think. Then the animations. Cars are just awersome, more weight to them, crashes are a lot cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

One thing i've been thinking off, on the entrance load up screen where a few pictures cycle over it shows two cops in a way like there characters in the game, as i went through it i was expecting to work with them. To represent the cops as a whole they should have just showed a car or someone from a distance, the way its up close and in detail points to them been characters.

Anyone else think this?

The woman sucking a lollypop who seems to be in 90% of the advertising material as well as the loading screens isn't in the game at all as far as I can tell.

I think they're all just meant to be evocative of the style of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

topnutz wrote: »
    - Realistic car damage and being sent flying through the windscreen

More realistic damage is cool but flying through the windscreen, while funny, is far from realistic.

I have a lot of likes about this game I really do like it. The main things I like are the city, characters and general gta humour.

Most of my dislikes are gameplay related.

Driving itself while different at first, it can become ok and does not take away from the general gameplay. The camera while driving however is sh1t, sure you can use the right analog stick but it could easily have been better.

Combat is sluggish and awkward at times, switching between targets should have been a button press. Cover is nice but sometimes feels clunky.

Honestly the friends thing is a disaster, they are the most needy fcuk wits. It might be ok if the places to bring them were fun/entertaining but the only one 1 like is darts and that's because you can throw 7 darts and go home.

Then there's the usual stuff like car spawning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Just gonna put my dislikes so far.

The in car camera angle, it was perfect in both GTA 3 and Vice City, then for SA they changed it so you can't see over the car, aka you crash alot. Pisses me off to no end and it's back in GTA 4. You should be able to posistion the camera to where you want it, then be able to lock it there.

The constant stupid side games, they are fun the first few times but are just total effort after that.

The fact that if you shoot a gun anywhere you'll get at least one star.

After 4 stars getting away from the cops is quite hard to do. Also the amount of them, at least 1 on nearly every street, with cop cars being EVERYWHERE!

The taking out of alot of things, planes, parachutes, loads of clothes, buying new houses, businesses, customizing the character, etc...

I miss garages.

Cars pop in and out, making them hard to chase down if you see one you want to nick.

Advertisement