Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider elocution

Options
  • 10-05-2008 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Do you have a Dublin accent ?, does it bother you ?, have you considered elocution lessons ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Not after my last experience. It hurt like hell. I was changing a fuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yes. No. Had them as a kid, thankfully they never worked.
    I'm a Dub and proud of it. I don't need to pretend I am someone else just to fit someone's idea of how I should speak.
    A Cork man or a Donegal man wouldn't be the same without their accents, we Dubs are the same.
    Long live regional accents. They are part of what we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Martly

Dont mind my accent but i swear way too much..Wish i could train myself not to use bold words!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Martly wrote: »
    Dont mind my accent but i swear way too much..Wish i could train myself not to use bold words!!

Im the same ... im not sure if this is just a Dub thing. Im proud of where im from. An accent when its not exaggerated or put on, is a unique part of somebodies personallity.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Martly wrote: »
    Cartman swearing chip?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

No, I can speak With a Netural Accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What do you mean by Dublin accent? Like Dublin accent in general or the Moore Street Dublin accent?

Like the D4 accent is a Dublin accent contrary to whatever people say about it being ''American'' or whatever. If you talked with that accent over in the US, they wouldn't say ''I hear a hint of Long Beach from you''

I don't have a flat Dublin accent, but I love my accent for the most part.

I think(personally) the Dublin accent is the best out of UK and Ireland. I'm not saying its the most animated, but someone like Ed Byrne accent is class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dublin & proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't have a "deadly" Dublin accent, I think it's neutral but I've been told it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I have a sexy accent. Why change it?? :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

MooseJam wrote: »
    Do you have a Dublin accent ?, does it bother you ?, have you considered elocution lessons ?

Yeh. Nah. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I do have a dublin accent,doesn't bother me, Does the Dub accent bother you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

raheny red wrote: »
    Yeh. Nah. No chance.

+1 I'm not bothered by my accent. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I don't have a very strong Dublin accent, but it wouldn't bother me if I did. Some of my friends have lovely cultured Dublin accents.

Are you hinting that a Dublin accent is a speech impediment? Because if you feel that one of the Irish accents is an impediment then your view would be that English should be spoken with an English accent.

Do you speak with an English accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

No need for elocution lessons, just step under the arch of Trinity, it has this magical effect of changing either the most bogger or strong Dub accent into either a West Brit accent or American 'I watch too much MTV' drawl.

Elocution lessons are for snobs, there's nothing wrong with an honest to god accent, be it Dublin, Cork or wherever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Clink wrote: »
    No need for elocution lessons, just step under the arch of Trinity, it has this magical effect of changing either the most bogger or strong Dub accent into either a West Brit accent or American 'I watch too much MTV' drawl.

Elocution lessons are for snobs, there's nothing wrong with an honest to god accent, be it Dublin, Cork or wherever.

What?

This West Brit accent has actually evolved......its a Dublin accent with direct influences from English settlers. I would love to actually see how many people in Dublin have English ancestry.

Why is one form of Dublin accent more acceptable than another?

I like the Dublin accent you're talking about, but I also like the ''west brit'' and ''American'' accent that you hear in town.

Its more diverse, and more diversity is better.

I do agree about the elocution lessons...anyone who would take them is a moron. Speak naturally for **** sake.

*note i believe the people who you describe as ''speaking american'' that is their natural accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The real Dub accent as spoken by people from areas like Ringsend, East Wall and the Liberties is fine; the hugely exaggerated drawl used by skangers in the suburbs is difficult to understand and painful on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

latenia wrote: »
    The real Dub accent as spoken by people from areas like Ringsend, East Wall and the Liberties is fine; the hugely exaggerated drawl used by skangers in the suburbs is difficult to understand and painful on the ears.
    I'm intrigued how you actually figure out where these 'skangers' from the suburbs actually live just by listening to their drawl, or are you confusing junkie speak with suburban accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Do you have a Dublin accent ?
    Yes I do.
    Does it bother you ?
    Not at all.
    have you considered elocution lessons ?
    Why ? I speak very well, thank you very much.

Girls with accents, real honest genuine and not affected, give me the horn.
    I just wanted to share that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

i think there is a few from every county that could use elocution :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

What?

This West Brit accent has actually evolved......its a Dublin accent with direct influences from English settlers. I would love to actually see how many people in Dublin have English ancestry.

Why is one form of Dublin accent more acceptable than another?

I like the Dublin accent you're talking about, but I also like the ''west brit'' and ''American'' accent that you hear in town.

Its more diverse, and more diversity is better.

I do agree about the elocution lessons...anyone who would take them is a moron. Speak naturally for **** sake.

*note i believe the people who you describe as ''speaking american'' that is their natural accent.

Trust me, this West Brit accent hasn't evolved, it's a state of mind for certian people who wish to place themselves above us prolitariat Catholics. And before a heap of folk jump in and tell me I've a chip on my shoulder I'm basing this on where I've worked for many, many years.

As for this American put on accent making us more diverse, I think the level of foreign nationals working here is doing a better job of creating great diversity than silly Irish girls putting on an American tv accent. How can "american" naturally be an isrish person's accent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i like the old inner city one. The D4 one sucks bigtime. As for being "proud" of your accent (as said by some posts here), get a f*cking life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rob_the_cat

trout wrote: »

Girls with accents, real honest genuine and not affected, give me the horn.
    I just wanted to share that.

Thanks for the info! A woman I work with had elocution lessons as a child, so instead of having a Dublin accent you would think she was English. Quite annoying to listen to, yet strangely sexy.

I'm a culchie but living on the northside for the last 5 years. When I get animated, the Dublin accent really comes out. Especially at football matches when I lose the cool. I like the accent, and wouldn't get it confused with the junkie drawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've a Dub accent too :)

I'd prefer to hear a 'west brit' accent from a real Brit and an American accent from a real American than from the fakers who are ashamed of their roots.

People who put on fake D4 dort accents are really insecure people, they are the ones that need elocution lessons in their native tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

gurramok wrote: »
    eople who put on fake D4 dort accents are really insecure people, they are the ones that need elocution lessons in their native tongue.

Note... not all these people are from Dublin! I had neighbours from Cork, they were obsessed with living in D4, I mean obsessed with it! She had the accent, she got the Dort, not the Dart. She is about the fourth Cork female I have met with the accent.

Anyone see "Where's my job gone" last Tuesday? There was a Cork girl on that talking with the D4 Accent... Roight, and yah....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think so. Or else its only "natural" in the way a virus is natural.
    Since tv & films are the delivery system which can cause a whole generation to start "speaking american" at the same time I suppose you could say its closer to a nasty biological weapon than a naturally spreading virus...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lightening wrote: »
    Note... not all these people are from Dublin! I had neighbours from Cork, they were obsessed with living in D4, I mean obsessed with it! She had the accent, she got the Dort, not the Dart. She is about the fourth Cork female I have met with the accent.

Anyone see "Where's my job gone" last Tuesday? There was a Cork girl on that talking with the D4 Accent... Roight, and yah....
    Apparently I have a southsoide / American-type accent and I'm from Cork.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

funny
    i went to elocution lessons for years to get rid of my snotty snobby british accent, lost it, got a nice netural one, went to a d4 school and now i'm worse of then i was with the brit one... in some peoples eyes it seems

personally i find it the best accent going, easy to understand, no stigma attached...unless elitism is a stigma...isnt last time i checked

:p:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

No never.

Now that everyone has this ridiculous fake Dublin accent which developed around 1998 I feel unique with my actual Dublin accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Clink wrote: »
    Trust me, this West Brit accent hasn't evolved, it's a state of mind for certian people who wish to place themselves above us prolitariat Catholics. And before a heap of folk jump in and tell me I've a chip on my shoulder I'm basing this on where I've worked for many, many years.

As for this American put on accent making us more diverse, I think the level of foreign nationals working here is doing a better job of creating great diversity than silly Irish girls putting on an American tv accent. How can "american" naturally be an isrish person's accent?

Ah well done, bigoted generalisations good work. Thanks for informing me about my west brit accent and how I and my friends wish to place ourselves over the proles loike totally.

Get over yourself, where people go to college doesn't dictate their views or accent, stop being a spa.

Advertisement