Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider elocution

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

crash_000 wrote: »
    Ah well done, bigoted generalisations good work. Thanks for informing me about my west brit accent and how I and my friends wish to place ourselves over the proles loike totally.

Get over yourself, where people go to college doesn't dictate their views or accent, stop being a spa.

HHmmm I think you might find that actually where you go to college does effect your views and accent (some people not everyone thank god). How else would ross o carroll kelly have made a career taking the piss out of such stereotypes?

Anyway I was more referring to certain professional staff members who you'd swear are English and then you find out that they're from the bog of ballygobackwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Of course, where you go to college will affect your views and maybe your accent. Your at an impressionable age.

Clink wrote: »
    Anyway I was more referring to certain professional staff members who you'd swear are English and then you find out that they're from the bog of ballygobackwards

Agreed... Dubs aren't the only ones that talk with the "roight" accent, I have met people from all over the country that have picked it up. At least the Dubs have an excuse, some of their parents have the accent, it certainly didn't start in 1998, in the seventies people were always slagged over ordering a point of horp....

(Harp)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

MooseJam wrote: »
    Do you have a Dublin accent ?, does it bother you ?, have you considered elocution lessons ?

You make it sound like its a disease!!:eek: I've got a Dublin accent and I'm very proud of my roots. I'm originally from D8 where my parents/grandparents/great grandparents/ great great grandparents are from and I've lived most of my life in Tallaght.
    I have no country cousins, all my extended family are dubs (don't remember meeting a culchie until I was a teenager :D) If I tried to change my accent I'd be disowned!

• Of course, where you go to college will affect your views and maybe your accent. Your at an impressionable age.

And some people just pick up accents more easily than others.

I just hate all this ridiculous judging of people based on their accent and stupid generalisations. I went to Trinity and in my final year class, there were people from Drimnagh, Clondalkin, Blanchardstown and Tallaght, all with Dublin accents, so it´s total rubbish that everyone in Trinity sounds ´posh´ and lives in D4.

Also, a lot of people grew up overseas or have parents from elsewhere - why would they have Dub accents? People sometimes accuse me of having a ´west brit´ accent, well I lived in England until I was 11, N.I until I was 17 and then Dublin for the last 5-6 years. What exactly am I supposed to sound like? Why would I have a strong N.I accent when a) I wasn´t born there, b) my parents aren´t from there, c) loads of the school was foreign and d) I´ve been away from NI for 6 years and don´t come into contact with the accent anymore. It really, really annoys me when people comment on what they think you are supposed to sound like, and act like you´re putting on an accent. Why can´t people just mind their own business?

[quote=[Deleted User];55945389]I just hate all this ridiculous judging of people based on their accent and stupid generalisations[/QUOTE]

Yeah, your dead right. I reckon the OP is trolling to get a reaction from the Dubs, people reacted really well, talked, chatted, commented.... I don't think that was the reaction he wanted.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

grahamo wrote: »
    You make it sound like its a disease!!:eek: I've got a Dublin accent and I'm very proud of my roots. I'm originally from D8 where my parents/grandparents/great grandparents/ great great grandparents are from and I've lived most of my life in Tallaght.
    I have no country cousins, all my extended family are dubs (don't remember meeting a culchie until I was a teenager :D) If I tried to change my accent I'd be disowned!

Typical inbred dub so?

amacachi wrote: »
    Typical inbred dub so?

Doubt it, he's from a bigger gene pool than were you are from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

bug wrote: »
    No never.

Now that everyone has this ridiculous fake Dublin accent which developed around 1998 I feel unique with my actual Dublin accent.

Many say this fake American accent was caused in part by the TV show Friends. Yes, you know the show

Oh, culchie and proud and of all accents I hear I despise the Moore St hawker accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dublin accents lack class.

dublin accents lack class.

Just googled "Classy Carlow" in images and came up with this.

carlow10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

lightening wrote: »
    Doubt it, he's from a bigger gene pool than were you are from!

Yeah, having the previous 4 generations all from the one postcode gives a huge gene pool. Compare that to 3 countries and 4 different counties in Ireland just going back 3 generations from me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

rb_ie wrote: »
    I don't have a "deadly" Dublin accent, I think it's neutral but I've been told it's not.

I knew you were a scummer! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ulichmagee

Im from the Liberties and im proud of my Dublin accent and Dublin humour
    Ive worked with a lot of culchies in the last 18 years and even some of them have said I have commented that i have a brilliant Dublin accent

OP is a ballbag LOL !!

WOULD JA GA WAY OURA DA ME OUL FLOWER

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm never quite sure where my accent makes me sound like i'm from - lived abroad for a lot of years before I was 10, which included an International school and an RAF school for a while (which was entertaining, because we were irish our car got searched for bombs every morning) so I don't think I really have a Dublin accent - have an irish accent but its more neutral and probably weaker than most peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had elcocution lessons when I was younger. I like my accent but I tend to swear alot which I really try to stop.

When I'm drunk though I have this horrible "Howeya" accent though. No idea where it comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My mother is the same: )

She is from Galway and usually has that Dub working class accent from living here for donkeys years...
    But get her drunk or extremely angry and the country accent comes out in full throttle! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm from the Coolock area, yet I've never really had a strong Dublin accent. When I first came to Canada however, I always found that I had to repeat myself. So over time, I've tended to speak slower and more clearly. It's got nothing to do with being ashamed of my accent or anything silly like that, it's just to do with being understood better. Irish people tend to speak really fast and blend all the words together.

When I go back to Dublin, I find myself subconsciously slipping into that Irish way of speaking and using phrases that I would never use over here. And yet, my brother now slags me for sounding "posher" than I did (not that I sound remotely ****ing posh, just that I speak a bit more clearly)

I love accents, and I can mimic probably 10-15 accents/dialects reasonably well (my Scouse accent is spot on) so maybe that explains why I can easily switch my accents depending on where I am.

Speaking of people changing their accents in college, I knew a girl in my neighbourhood who spoke like every one else there, until she went to DCU. She was ashamed of where she came from (I think she even claimed she was from somewhere else in Dublin) and now she speaks with a 'roighht' accent. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I am forever celebrating my husbands Tallaght accent.

Tomahtos (tomatoes)
    Booookies (bookies)
    Roy (right)

Unfortunately this has made him overly aware of his accent and slightly paranoid that there is something wrong with the way he speaks.

But I adore his accent! Guys, women tend to adore the Dublin accent on guys, that's why they can't get enough of you on holidays. Trust me, it ain't the sunburnt skin or the way you refer to your mother as "Maaa".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ That's 'Yore Maaa'.:D Had to be said!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Or of course

"Me aul one"

• Advertisement

• I'm from the Coolock area, yet I've never really had a strong Dublin accent. When I first came to Canada however, I always found that I had to repeat myself. So over time, I've tended to speak slower and more clearly. It's got nothing to do with being ashamed of my accent or anything silly like that, it's just to do with being understood better. Irish people tend to speak really fast and blend all the words together.

I think wanting to be understood has a lot to do with it. I find wherever you go, if you don't sound like the locals, you're constantly asked to repeat yourself so you're kind of forced to adopt their speech patterns to some extent. When I was working in America, a lot of people there just couldn't understand my Irish accent and I'd end up having to pronounce things like them so they'd finally get it. They never understood when I said 'bus' and a pile of other words so I ended up having to adopt an American accent for some words. It was hilarious!

Advertisement