Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

upshot of buying a clockedcar

Options
  • 10-05-2008 10:05pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭

o.k. - i looked at a car this evening , nice little pickup , u.k. import , high spec.
    price is about the same or a little less than it would cost me to bring it in myself.
    so i took the vin and did some checks .
    turns out the car has been clocked while it was in th u.k, by about 10,000 miles (back of a fag box calculation)

quick bit of advice - should i run ? can i get the car REclocked back up to the correct mileage (its a digital odometer)?
    How will this affect the vehicle when i go to change it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Would someone really bother to wipe 10k off a car? Are you sure your calculations are correct? Remember any info is only as reliable as the person who inputs it into hpi/dealer service/whatever.
    The reason that I say this is because I had an issue with mileage on a car I was selling, it was a mistake by the dealer on the service history that almost cost me a sale.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

TommyT wrote: »
    Would someone really bother to wipe 10k off a car? Are you sure your calculations are correct? Remember any info is only as reliable as the person who inputs it into hpi/dealer service/whatever.
    The reason that I say this is because I had an issue with mileage on a car I was selling, it was a mistake by the dealer on the service history that almost cost me a sale.

well in jan 08 it had 46000 miles (www.hpicheck.com), it now has near as damnit 40k up on it.
    allowing for "normal " driving of about 10 - 15k per year i would think they took the car back to just under 35k so with the usual amount of driving we arrive back at 40k 5 months later.
    as i say back of a fag box maths, i should have a chance to figure it out properly on monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

2 words: walk away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

E92 wrote: »

+1,000,000

You might get a bargain now, but if you came to me with that car as a trade in, I wouldn't even entertain the notion. I just wouldn't want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why? The only upshot of a clocked car is that you pay more for it than if it had the correct mileage. Otherwise it's no different than any other car and now that can be used to advantage to get it for a really good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why? The only upshot of a clocked car is that you pay more for it than if it had the correct mileage. Otherwise it's no different than any other car and now that can be used to advantage to get it for a really good price.

An upshot is a good point to an otherwise not so good situation. How is paying more for a car because it's clocked an upshot?

Anyway, why not spend less on one that hasnt been clocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AudiChris has covered what I was going to say and why I said what I said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You'd want to be certain theres nothing else done to the car. How could you be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

was gonna post this in a seperate thread but ill stick it in here.my dad bought a new van a few years back and sent his old one in as a trade in with 184000 on the clock the van was in mint condition nearly 4years old huge milage but the line of work my dad is in the van got no abuse (not towing trailers/no heavy goods) i was passing by the garage a few weeks later .went in for a look and and the van had 95000 on the clock.this is supposed to be a reputable garage.how bad is clocking does every dealer do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

yabadabado wrote: »
    was gonna post this in a seperate thread but ill stick it in here.my dad bought a new van a few years back and sent his old one in as a trade in with 184000 on the clock the van was in mint condition nearly 4years old huge milage but the line of work my dad is in the van got no abuse (not towing trailers/no heavy goods) i was passing by the garage a few weeks later .went in for a look and and the van had 95000 on the clock.this is supposed to be a reputable garage.how bad is clocking does every dealer do it?

Did you report the dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

javaboy wrote: »
    Did you report the dealer?

+1

No point in telling us about it here. Write a letter to the SIMI, the Ombudsman, the garage themselves. This is criminal activity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I agree, there are questions on this car............there's plenty more out there.

Yes and I would report the garage!:p

Advertisement