Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track/Trails MTB

Options
  • 10-05-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am new and I was wondering is there another way to get up the mountains beside a car. Preferably the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. I'm 14 and my parents don't have a car yet. I have been up once with a friend who is into MTB.It was at a car park in the mountains with a big yellow barrier and a big road leading up to it.I have heard of three rock and Massey's and some place near the hellfire club. I just want to do a bit of jumps and off road down a mountain:D. Also how long would it take to cycle from Templeogue? and what should i bring along with me?. Any help would be great.
    Cathal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Cathal,

You should look into joining a club like MAD (www.madmtb.com) they have beginner spins etc and will be able to give you advice on trails etc. I think they have maps of the various trails on their site too... If you're heading out alone always bring a phone...preferably try get one of your mates into biking aswel, not only will it be more enjoyable with someone else but you'll be safer too. Bring things like a spare tube,pump,water,suitable clothing,lights(if you're planning on staying out after dark) and some money incase you need it and needless to say always wear a helmet! The cycle out shouldn't take too long depending on your fitness..

Oh and if you're planning on doing jumps/serious off road riding make sure your bike is up to it..!

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you are in Templeogue then you are just a stone's throw from the Wicklow mountains. You have it easy!

+1 for Blanco's suggestion of www.madmtb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

-Blanco- wrote: »
    Cathal,

You should look into joining a club like MAD (www.madmtb.com) they have beginner spins etc and will be able to give you advice on trails etc. I think they have maps of the various trails on their site too... If you're heading out alone always bring a phone...preferably try get one of your mates into biking aswel, not only will it be more enjoyable with someone else but you'll be safer too. Bring things like a spare tube,pump,water,suitable clothing,lights(if you're planning on staying out after dark) and some money incase you need it and needless to say always wear a helmet! The cycle out shouldn't take too long depending on your fitness..

Oh and if you're planning on doing jumps/serious off road riding make sure your bike is up to it..!

Hope this helps.

Cheers mate,have friends into it,I have a mongoose comp tyax elite with upgrade shimano deore lx hydraulic brakes and fromt/back mudguard.Would shorts,socks and bmx shoes be ok,eg: Etnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Cheers mate,have friends into it,I have a mongoose comp tyax elite with upgrade shimano deore lx hydraulic brakes and fromt/back mudguard.Would shorts,socks and bmx shoes be ok,eg: Etnies.

That should be fine starting off really. I wouldn't exactly be doing jumps or anything too wild on the mongoose ;) but it'll be fine for some trail riding/cross country. If you really get into it then you can upgrade and get the right gear and clipless pedals etc.

I checked the MAD site there I think theres a beginner spin on the 17th, might be worth checking that out..

Enjoy!

-Blanco- wrote: »
    I checked the MAD site there I think theres a beginner spin on the 17th, might be worth checking that out..

The beginners spin started today May 10th but it'll run again next week

• Advertisement

micmclo wrote: »
    The beginners spin started today May 10th but it'll run again next week

Where abouts and how to get there with no car?

It's all in the link so don't be lazy.
    Hellfire Club today, I also have no car so did not make it

Tbh you are in Templeogue so it's practically on your doorstep

micmclo wrote: »
    It's all in the link so don't be lazy.
    Hellfire Club today, I also have no car so did not make it

Tbh you are in Templeogue so it's practically on your doorstep

looked at link and no worky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

mad are more xc club than DH! if you prefer DH then epicmtb.com is your best bet as a club!

• Advertisement
Advertisement