Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manbags - Yay or Nay ?

Options
  • 10-05-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

With the wealth of gadgetry and general day to day stuff that I have to carry around, The pockets are starting to get a little overloaded (bit of an understatement tbh).

The solution that some of my mates tend to use is "the manbag". I am a little slow to jump on this bandwagon (being very masculine and all that <puffs up chest>) Also am single so don't want this detracting from my chances when chatting to the fairer half....

So simply put, Manbag - Yay or Nay?

and if yay what type?

Looking fwd to your input :)

Manbags - Yay or Nay? 54 votes

Yay! A manbag is essential in todays world / dont see a problem with it
    0% 0 votes
    Nay! Bags are for us women only - men should do without and have stuffed jeans pockets till eternity
    25% 14 votes
    Maybe - depends on the guy
    48% 26 votes
    Atari Bag-uar
    25% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jack bauer uses one.

jack bauer could take it up the ass regularly and still be considered straight.

NAY
    1557.gif

YAY
    jack-bauer-in-action.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

why is there are questionon manbags in the ladies lounge just as a matter of interest, what has it got to do with women, or do you need a women to tell you how to dress now a days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Get a mkVII british respirator pouch, Indiana Jones had one.
    Failing that a P37 officer haversack with shoulder strap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Depends on the man, and the bag.

Yay for Bauer. Nay for:

xin_370503311645517136823.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

why is there are questionon manbags in the ladies lounge just as a matter of interest, what has it got to do with women, or do you need a women to tell you how to dress now a days?

Was thinking the same.

Howandever, blokes are getting far too metrosexual these days. I worry for my children. Fair enough there are more gadgets around these days, but they are also becoming increasingly smaller; so put them in your fookin' pocket. And take off that shirt, it's not salmon, IT'S PINK. :mad:

Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I don't see why not. Everyone needs something to carry their stuff around in. Backpacks annoy me on public transport etc.

Get a mkVII british respirator pouch, Indiana Jones had one.
    Failing that a P37 officer haversack with shoulder strap.

You know too much. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Man bags are a definite Ney, any shape or form... Don't like men with baggage:)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Predhead wrote: »
    Depends on the man, and the bag.

Yay for Bauer. Nay for:

xin_370503311645517136823.jpg

The only bags a man should have are the ones under his eyes and under his lad. ALL OTHER S ARE JUST WRONG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

jsb wrote: »

My guess is he asking if it's a turn off for Women. If thats not the reason he posted here, I will move it to Fashun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

nummnutts wrote: »
    You know too much. :(

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

jsb wrote: »

I posted this because I was just interested in what women in general thought of them? I know the male opinion (usually function vs the loss of masulinity)
    WindSock wrote:
    My guess is he asking if it's a turn off for Women. If thats not the reason he posted here, I will move it to Fashun.

You put it perfectly! Are manbags a turn-off for women?

I sometimes have to carry a bag (like the Bauer one) because of the amount of stuff I have to have. Especially when you're out an about abroad and stuff like that. Also I have one for my laptop and other things I have to carry around sometimes.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's necessary for some people but I don't agree with just having one and having your wallet and a book or something in it!

On a side note: I used to detest those bloody 'one shoulder back packs' and people on put their phones in the front part in a pocket on the strap. Incredibley gay.

If you are not going to college or work all you need are keys, money and phone. What is the purpose of a man bag?

*Shows up on a date, man standing with man bag, not seen me yet, run!*

Don't get me wrong. I don't carry one everywhere. Just on occasion when I have my laptop etc. Also as I said when I'm abroad, like if you're out an about in a city you're exploring; you have maps, maybe a drink, smokes, ipod, sunglasses (when your indoors), this and that you might pick up in a shop, a camera. Basically you don't wanna be walking around with a camera around your neck and map in your hand like a goober.

But no excuse otherwise! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Pockets ftw.

Predhead wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong. I don't carry one everywhere. Just on occasion when I have my laptop etc. Also as I said when I'm abroad, like if you're out an about in a city you're exploring; you have maps, maybe a drink, smokes, ipod, sunglasses (when your indoors), this and that you might pick up in a shop, a camera. Basically you don't wanna be walking around with a camera around your neck and map in your hand like a goober.

But no excuse otherwise! :D

Your right you should get a man bag put all your stuff in it, then walk around like a goober! :D

Ask for directions or use internet cafe, pop into a pub if thirsty sure your on your holidays, whistle instead of listening to music, work on your memory. Done, no man bag needed.

Pockets ftw.

Here here brother.

That's still not an excuse. Apart from a laptop, there aren't enough items there to require a manbag. I need my laptop for college and that is the only time I would ever require anything that resembles a manbag, it's a laptop case though so I hope people can differentiate the two.

iPods and glasses today. Lip gloss and perfume tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

its jsut not good....pockets and if you must a bag on your back!

no handbag type stuff for boyos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I have a wallet, does that mean the next step is a manb....man....ma...m...nope can't even bring myself to say it! The only time I carry bags is when I have to take my gear to a gig, then it all comes out. I only have one padded rucksack for my shiny thing, and that's because I don't always want it out on full view while unpacking the car and to stop it getting scratched. (it has a shiny metal case)

So no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, oh and by the way NO B A G S ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I have a purse.

I argued with my friend for ages that it was a wallet, but then I noticed on the outside that it says "FTX|Women".

So now I just accept it.

Oh and what is a manbag exactly? If I need to carry stuff around with me I'll grab my rucksack, is that a manbag or does it have to have only one shoulder strap to be a manbag?

nummnutts wrote: »
    Here here brother.

That's still not an excuse. Apart from a laptop, there aren't enough items there to require a manbag. I need my laptop for college and that is the only time I would ever require anything that resembles a manbag, it's a laptop case though so I hope people can differentiate the two.

iPods and glasses today. Lip gloss and perfume tomorrow.

Well it is an excuse and you've no idea what I was carrying and for what reason. I was just giving the above as examples. Can't even remember myself but pockets certainly wouldn't have sufficed. As I said I'd only use it if I had to abroad and that. Never here. Apart from the lappy. :)

As I said I'd only use it if I had to abroad and that. Never here.

Don't be fooled. A manbag is a manbag wherever you are. :pac:

I have always managed to do without, and will continue to do so. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Gay/bi guys/trannies pull it off (sorry) or anything that looks like you obviously have a lap-top or moosic in it (DJ ppls).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Work colleague acquired one recently. I've been doing a lot of sniggering at it, but he says his missus likes it :p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mental07 wrote: »
    Work colleague acquired one recently. I've been doing a lot of sniggering at it, but he says his missus likes it :p
    Maybe she bought it and is telling him to use it!
    There is only one bag a man should have and thats tucked away out of sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Yay.

You can get some awesome looking leather ones, canvas ones etc so no way do they look girly at all. Most of them are messenger type bags anyway. I could hazard a guess in saying those men who are anti "man bags" are also ones who would freak at the thought of being gay? Why shouldn't their lives be easier. Unless you're in a full suit, carrying a brief case can look a bit over the top so I'm all for a casual bag to carry all your gear in (be it laptop,paperwork etc etc). Pockets can only hold so much and backpacks can get a bit boring I would imagine and go to the other extreme of casualness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Courier/Messenger bags are handy, I take my laptop round in one, just a plain buckle one.

But I've seen some cool retro/gaming/nerd ones round Dublin.

Anything which starts looking like this is a NO NO

tn_mobius.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I couldn't care in the slightest, in fact I'm amazed that anyone would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I couldn't care in the slightest, in fact I'm amazed that anyone would.
    QFT really.

I mean, what's so feminine about a bag?

Advertisement