Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manbags - Yay or Nay ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

my comment to this great thread concluded in one word:BIZARRE:pac:

so any thing abit out of 'old fashion' = gay/metro/bi/perv/whatever.oh,just a reminder ,brad pitt and beckham are the icons of the METRO trendy looking males,they dress nice,look clean.ladies,brad and beck are GAY ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I could hazard a guess in saying those men who are anti "man bags" are also ones who would freak at the thought of being gay?

Well hazard away, but I think that what you said is absolute bollocks imo. I've no problem with gay people, I know some gay people and would not just associate manbags with them, so it's got absolutely **** all to do with that. Imo, men should not require such an item of 'casualness'.

@ellenmelon. Any man that has a man bag is effectively carrying around a handbag., whether they like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Laptop bag for carrying laptop yes but a bag for carrying toiletries or wallet is just plain wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What about some power tools to reaffirm our manliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

power tools are usually in a bag that the handles have been ripped off and have a man u/liverpool logo on the end

• Advertisement

power tools are usually in a bag that the handles have been ripped off and have a man u/liverpool logo on the end

....and are made out of steel with your name welded onto it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Sometimes a bag is just something to carry stuff in, not a declaration of sexuality, fashion statement, or virility barometer!

Also, forget the power-tools-in-bag thing, TOOL BELTS = SEXY

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

couriers satchel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

nummnutts wrote: »
    You know too much. :(

It's for my insulin.... and grenades :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

IMO guys bags should ONLY ever be used to carry the stuff that's simply too big/unwieldy for the pockets and even then only if a coat can't be worn to increase storage capacity.

>_< man bags frighten me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

man bags are shockin.
    i think there are some gay men that can pull them off but thats where it ends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

couriers satchel ?

If you are using it to actually carry something substantial like a load of books or a laptop, then yes.

Otherwise...always no!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I don't get the reaction to manbags - a bag is an item used for carrying stuff in, no? what's so wrong with that? Jeez.
    Do you all smirk at a man walking home from tesco with a shopping bag cos it's somehow a declaration of teh gheyness? Why the abhorrence of a bag carried by a man? So long as it's not a flouncy frilly lacy pink handbag I don't see what the big deal is (and even if it is, well, meh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Why not just get a schoolbag-style backpack? They're handier to carry cause they're on your back and they fit alot more in 'em. I'm female and that's what I use to carry my stuff around with me, purses/little bags are just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

To anyone talking about a guy bringing a manbag on a date.... why would he? :confused: It's really just a stop-gap between buying a schoolbag (could be too immature looking for a business type job for example) or briefcase (could be too formal for the person). Jeans look rubbish with phone, wallet, keys and mp3 player scrunched in, not to mention super awkward to walk around in. If you're carrying around all those things plus a laptop (the only toiletries would be hair wax, thats bout it) I don't see the big deal. I don't own a manbag myself but they're only annoying if they're meant to attract attention and over-the-top. A low-key bag on the other hand, seems fine to me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What kind of 'man' doesn't use something thats functional because he is worried what others will think about his sexuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'll have to give manbags a great-big Mr.Ed style Nay I'm afraid.

I'm sure I'm not the only red-blooded heterosexual male that sees a guy with a manbag and thinks: "hmm.....get madam"

More annoying still are the 20-somethings who bring rucksacks to the office as if they were still in college. Why?!?

All a real man needs is a few 50-Euro notes scrunched into his pocket and a mobile phone so he can ring the missus to tell her that he'll be home late.

All a real man needs is a few 50-Euro notes scrunched into his pocket and a mobile phone so he can ring the missus to tell her that he'll be home late.

Amen to that, brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Weidii wrote: »
    I'm female

How u doin?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also, forget the power-tools-in-bag thing, TOOL BELTS = SEXY
    I disagree (and am always right!).
    Toolbelts may look sexy on wimmins but not on men! (not that men look sexy to me!)
    A real man doing a job that requires tools will have a proper tool case or carry them in the pocket of the trousers.
    Sangre wrote: »
    What kind of 'man' doesn't use something thats functional because he is worried what others will think about his sexuality?
    What kind of man does?
    Thats like saying, "on a fine day like this I might wear a dress because my family jewels will stay fresher"!
    Everything we wear is done (by and large) to impress others. Except for those skanger wimmin who wear PJs outside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

well i'd say the vast majority of what people do isn't to impress but to avoid ridicule by being different. if you don't care whats the problem? doing something only to appear like a manly man worthy of BGRH isn't particulary manly at all. in fact, it sounds an awful lot like following a fashion trend.

I've never owned a manbag but I'd have no problem if I saw one I'd like, off the top of my head a few pros over a rucksack:

Easier on a packed train/bus
    doesn't cause sweaty backs on hot days or if you're cycling
    you can open it without taking it off.

Pretty handy, what more could a man want?

kbannon wrote: »
    Except for those skanger wimmin who wear PJs outside!

Indeed. That freaks me out. Stupid, stupid people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I have a bag that i use pretty much everyday. Normally it contains whatever book i am reading at the time, my logbook, pens, camera and headphones etc. Phone, wallets and keys all go in pockets.

It's not like i could carry around the other stuff in my hands. Anyone who ever has issue with how i look is told to go and **** themselves generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I could imagine you with a bag casually thrown round you alright.

You kind of have to have the cool confidence required to have a man-bag. The "I dont give a shit about what the world thinks, this is just where I keep my man-shit.." attitude. Too cool 4 skool and all that..

/struts away without looking back

:pac:

Actually i must take a picture of me and my man bag ( ohhh-er!!! ) later and pop it into the Lads Photo thread. It might help if i put a normal picture of me in there and help debunk the myth that they instantly make you look like a tosser!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

*Waits for backfire*:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*Waits for backfire*:p

lol funny cause it's true:D:D:D

sorry D

jsb wrote: »
    lol funny cause it's true:D:D:D

sorry D

It's alright dude, it's a picture of me i'm putting up. Not you. :D

Advertisement