Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with Kids

Options
  • 10-05-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭

We have just come back from a week abroad and the flight over and back was comparable to a 20 hr labour.

My one a half yr old screamed at the top of her voice for virtually the whole flight (there and back). It was hell on earth. I gave her fennergan both times as I was told it would knock her out, but there was no let up..

We are going away again soon and I am dreading it and actually comtemplating cancelling due to the stress of the flight back today.

It wasn't that I couldn't deal with it, it was the other passengers and the air hostess's giving me daggers that made me feel so incapable.

One old geezer in front of me, who could see how distressed I was and had a few whiskeys on him roared at the top of his voice 'F*ck them love if they dont like it they should of gone First Class, this is what you get in economy' and I could of kissed him..

Does anyone have any tips, as the thoughts of doing it again in a month is killing me...

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've no advice. My youngest ( 2 at the time) stripped off his clothes and spent the flight screming. Luckily the poor woman beside him dealt with the problem.

I honestly believe that if the other folk realise that you are stressed out as well then they won't throw daggers.

Daggers are reserved for those who blissfully ignore their kids and their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

We laughed at your story here :D Bloody nightmare. Fair play to the oul' fella!

All the people on that flight were babies once, if they don't get it, I really wouldn't worry about it. Obviously, we all hope our babies will pick the moment of hurtleing along a runway, air pressure crushing their ear canal, confined space, and incredible noise, to be on there best behaviour. But now and then, we're gonna get a FAIL. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

parsi wrote: »
    I've no advice. My youngest ( 2 at the time) stripped off his clothes and spent the flight screming. Luckily the poor woman beside him dealt with the problem.

I honestly believe that if the other folk realise that you are stressed out as well then they won't throw daggers.

Daggers are reserved for those who blissfully ignore their kids and their activities.

I must of been on a flight of un-sympathetic idiots. The funny thing was I found the men to be far more understanding, a lot of them were coming up and trying to distract her but the women were seriously glaring at me, I realise I was probably paranoid a tad but genuinely the hostility I felt was horrible.

As a mother myself, if I saw someone in that situation myself I would try and help or at least try and ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'm the same Looptheloop, I end up being the mental woman hopping around trying to make the kid laugh. To be fair, if I had been on a plane at that age I probably would have hollered too. I was lucky to get a caravan in Quilty when I was a kid..

...what was with the earwigs in caravans???

sueme wrote: »
    I'm the same Looptheloop, I end up being the mental woman hopping around trying to make the kid laugh. To be fair, if I had been on a plane at that age I probably would have hollered too. I was lucky to get a caravan in Quilty when I was a kid..

...what was with the earwigs in caravans???

I know, same!

Jesus, we went to Skerries for gods sake.. (like, every 3 yrs)

It's me that has the problem, not my poor daughter who had never been on a plane and didn't know what the hell was happening.. Normally, I don't give a damn what people think but I felt so unbearably uncomfortable on those flights that I'm thinking a cottage in Connermara instead, although the last time I did that it rained for the whole week...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Skerries. every summer. I liekd the harbour cafe. i also liked Stoops.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ah looptheloop you poor thing. Am I right in assuming it was a long haul flight if it was like a 20 hour labour? If it was long haul I'd assume all passengers were given comfort bags that contain ear plugs.

Good on the old man. I tend to find it's often other older women who have less empathy in comparison to men. I think most women with young children themselves even if the children are not with them can empathise more while breathing a sigh of relief that it's not their own children who're hollering.

I wouldn't give pennergan next time as it's known to work by calming some children but also known to have the opposite effect on others.

I remember one poor unfortunate mum who was on the radio a few years back telling the listeners about how someone recommended pennergan so she tried it out once before the trip and it was ok but she then used it on the flight and the child was hyper for the full journey. She was travelling from Australia to Ireland so you can imagine the stress all round.

I often smile at small children that are nearby and they usually smile back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I once travelled on a flight seated near a few drunken idiots. It was horrible and frightening, I prefer to travel on a plane full of screaming toddlers (provided they're not mine, of course:D!) The poor things only do it because they are distressed, not to try and intimidate other passengers or cabin staff like these guys did. Those passengers and cabin staff who gave you daggers should be forced to board a flight like this.

Actually, my aunt-by-marriage is one of those types that throws daggers and makes snide remarks about "bold" children. Her daughter (my cousin) has 2 sons who are very active lads and don't sit still for 2 seconds. My ABM remarked on this to me one day in front of my cousin, and said that when her children were growing up they were very disciplined and she would take them anywhere and they would stay quiet and rooted to one spot for hours. My cousin retorted "That's because you beat the living daylights out of us and we were afraid of you, Mum!" ABM quickly changed the subject....

Fair play to that man on your flight, looptheloop! I'm flying out in July with my 18-month-old, and I'm dreading it. I find Phenergen makes her hyper too. Maybe your daughter will be more settled on her next flight, she'll be that tiny bit older. Even if she's not, there will be others in that situation - you always think you're the only one!

kelle wrote: »
    I once travelled on a flight seated near a few drunken idiots. It was horrible and frightening, I prefer to travel on a plane full of screaming toddlers (provided they're not mine, of course:D!) The poor things only do it because they are distressed, not to try and intimidate other passengers or cabin staff like these guys did. Those passengers and cabin staff who gave you daggers should be forced to board a flight like this.

Actually, my aunt-by-marriage is one of those types that throws daggers and makes snide remarks about "bold" children. Her daughter (my cousin) has 2 sons who are very active lads and don't sit still for 2 seconds. My ABM remarked on this to me one day in front of my cousin, and said that when her children were growing up they were very disciplined and she would take them anywhere and they would stay quiet and rooted to one spot for hours. My cousin retorted "That's because you beat the living daylights out of us and we were afraid of you, Mum!" ABM quickly changed the subject....

Fair play to that man on your flight, looptheloop! I'm flying out in July with my 18-month-old, and I'm dreading it. I find Phenergen makes her hyper too. Maybe your daughter will be more settled on her next flight, she'll be that tiny bit older. Even if she's not, there will be others in that situation - you always think you're the only one!

Crikey, Kelle good luck on the flight. I think if you prepare for the worst it wont be as bad. Maybe ask your lovely Aunty to go with you for moral support:D

Yeh drunks have to be worse, have experienced a couple of flights like that too, and it aint pleasant..
    deisemum wrote: »
    Ah looptheloop you poor thing. Am I right in assuming it was a long haul flight if it was like a 20 hour labour? If it was long haul I'd assume all passengers were given comfort bags that contain ear plugs.

Good on the old man. I tend to find it's often other older women who have less empathy in comparison to men. I think most women with young children themselves even if the children are not with them can empathise more while breathing a sigh of relief that it's not their own children who're hollering.

I wouldn't give pennergan next time as it's known to work by calming some children but also known to have the opposite effect on others.

I remember one poor unfortunate mum who was on the radio a few years back telling the listeners about how someone recommended pennergan so she tried it out once before the trip and it was ok but she then used it on the flight and the child was hyper for the full journey. She was travelling from Australia to Ireland so you can imagine the stress all round.

I often smile at small children that are nearby and they usually smile back.

Hi, no it was a 2.5 hour flight but I would rather have had a 20 hr labour than that few hours on the plane:D

I think the phenergan prob had the 'hyper' affect on my little one too. Yeh I found the older people were a lot more understanding than the kinda middle aged ones. But the Flight Staff were no bloody help and one even came down and in a sort of jokey way, said in a very loud voice to my child 'No crying on this plane'. I just very sarcastically said 'yeh cheers for that'. I realise there's nothing they can do but a smile would have perhaps helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you go to a family destination, you'll find most of the flight is families wrestling with kids. With ours, we had a bag full of toys, treats and distractions. We also tried to stagger feeds and pick a flight time so they'd be asleep. If all that fails, and they are just a bad traveller, then perhaps just go somewhere else. In a year or two they'll be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nothing to say really except this: we know to pop our ears: must be totally confusing for the kids.

Whilst some people suck on a hard boiled sweet, would sucking on one of those sucking things be of any use to the kid whilst the plane is taking off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We just give them some food/sweets and/or a drink. Just wait until your actually taking off because sometime you taxi on the groun forever and the kids can have scoffed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

Give the child lots of activity during the day.

Fly late at night and the child will (hopefully) sleep like a log !

It worked for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

You poor thing looptheloop...

Having kids yourself, you can have nothing by sympathy for the kid and the poor parents when you hear an inconsolable wailing child. Previous poster is correct... parents who wont stop the kids behind me from kicking my seat... now that's a different story!

Anyway - you think 2.5 hours was bad? My poor OH was by herself with our daughter on a 9 Hour flight! Our dd was 23 months at the time... so she didn't have her own seat. The flight seemed full and my OH was relieved when the stewardess came and asked the guy sitting beside her to move to an empty seat down the back of the plane. Phew! ... she thought! Then just before take off, stewardess comes back with man in tow explaining that, in fact, that seat was taken and there were no empty seats at all!!!

Nightmare!!

Can you imagine... a 9 hour flight... 23 month old toddler with nowhere to go only your lap!!! She couldn't eat for 9 hours because there was nowhere to put a tray. It was a middled aged guy sitting beside her and he wasn't offerring to take her for a few minutes... she wouldn't have gone anyway!

Moral of the story, when travelling long-haul with under twos, make sure you either have your partner, or you can be reasonably sure the flight won't be full or buy a second seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

What's Fennergan?

A portable dvd player might help?

I fly alone with my one-year-old (he is now 5).

I gave him some drug the GP suggested to help him sleep.

He did not sleep.
    He did not go hyper.

He got diarrhea... for the 7 hour trip to Canada.

I ran out of nappies and had to ask another parent for one.
    Contrary to popular belief the airline did not have nappies.

By the time we got to Canada he had leaked pooh substantially.
    ..met my wife and the first thing we did was shop for new clothes for him!

Only consolation was that he did not cry at all but he was very smelly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Oh dewsbury I feel your pain

What's Fennergan?

Its similiar to Calpol/Nurofen, bit stronger..

Dewsbury, I feel bad for complaining now, that must have been hell for you both.. I'm sorry but I laughed when I read it (in sympathy), you poor thing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Maybe the child has an ear problem and is adversely affected by the pressurised plane. Get this checked first Don't agree with giving any sedatives whatsoever !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I dont agree with sedatives at all. Its just plain cruel.

I usually bring Lots of food to eat for them, Even if includes crisps, treats... stickers are good fun... books and puppets.

You poor thing loop..

• Advertisement

I very rarely give her anything but knew that she would act up as she's a bit of a wild one. Anyway, it backfired so serves me right eh.

I had games, books, food, drink, you name it but 'nothing' would pacify her.

Dewsbury, I feel bad for complaining now, that must have been hell for you both.. I'm sorry but I laughed when I read it (in sympathy), you poor thing..

Actually my 7 hours journey with a 1 year old that had diarrhea was not that bad.
    I hate flying and find it very claustrophobic and tedious. For the trip described above I was busy changing nappies, finding nappies and generally being the man with the ****ty-but-cute child. The flight was not actually that bad - just different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i just came back from a 22 hour journey door to door ( which we did twice in a 2 week period) which included a 2.5 hour flight, 2 hour stopover going through customs all over again and then a 15 hour flight, with a 4 month old baby and a 2 and a half year old boy. was pretty gruelling, but for take off and landing, either a soother in their mouth or a bottle to help them with the pressure, and for the older one we brought with us about five presents, all wrapped up which we would give out one at a time when he got bored with the last one or just bored of the flight. it worked pretty well. we also had lots of carr's crackers (3 boxes), so that if and when he wanted a snack he could have one of those as they're pretty harmless with regards to sugar, salt, fat, etc... The bottom line is... it's tough but we all get through it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I very rarely give her anything but knew that she would act up as she's a bit of a wild one. Anyway, it backfired so serves me right eh.

I had games, books, food, drink, you name it but 'nothing' would pacify her.

Baby probably sensed you were stressed....

I will be heading off with my two at the end of the month.. Praying for a half empty plane!!

My OH is taking our daughter to Italy in a month to see family which I had completely forgotten about. I was with my sis on this flight so he wasn't with me. He asked how the flight was and when I described it his face dropped. Realising he was going himself with her I completely tried to back track and play it down. Poor chap has no idea whats ahead of him. If she's as bad for him I will serious contemplate whether or not to go on the other break as planned.

Dewsbury Ill advise him to bring heaps of nappies, just in case:D

shrapnel222 - Great idea about the gifts.. My little one won't take a soother and each time I gave her the bottle she fired it into the air (hitting 2 people on the head on separate occasions)..

Quality wrote: »
    Baby probably sensed you were stressed....

I will be heading off with my two at the end of the month.. Praying for a half empty plane!!

Yes, she defo sensed it. I was rigid with stress..

Good luck on your flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Does anyone have any tips, as the thoughts of doing it again in a month is killing me...

A nice warm bottle on takeoff and landing helps with the ears, and can also knock them out. :) We got one flight with baby mostly asleep out of that trick. edit: I see someone else has already suggested it and you had no joy. We deliberately had baby a little bit tired getting on the plane and timed it so that it was time for her bottle at take off anyway. Tried the same on the way back but it backfired somewhat....she was overtired and cranky as a result.

Ignore anyone giving you daggers. Like you've got some magic pixie dust that you're not using or something. Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Anyone recommend dozal (not sure how to spell it?). I have heard people mention it for babies. Would it be any good on a plane. We will be travelling with 17 month old to Oz shortly. Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

man1 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend dozal (not sure how to spell it?). I have heard people mention it for babies. Would it be any good on a plane. We will be travelling with 17 month old to Oz shortly. Any advice?

I thought Dozol was a phenergen. Anyway, I tried it with my daughter (not for flying) and it made her hyper instead! I suppose it works differently with every child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

kelle wrote: »
    I thought Dozol was a phenergen.

Haven't a clue what it is myself, (also don't know what a pherergen is????:confused:)
    I just heard that it helps babies sleep. Anyone had success with this.

If it makes babies hyper then thats not good.

Advertisement