Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with Kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.drugs.com/phenergan.html
    Phenergan

Generic Name: promethazine (oral) (pro METH a zeen)
    Brand Names: Pentazine, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Promacot
    What is Phenergan?

Phenergan is an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body.

Phenergan is used to treat allergy symptoms such as itching, runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, hives, and itchy skin rashes.

Phenergan also prevents motion sickness, and treats nausea and vomiting or pain after surgery. It is also used as a sedative or sleep aid.

Phenergan may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What is the most important information I should know about Phenergan?
    Call your doctor immediately if you experience twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs. These could be early signs of dangerous side effects. Phenergan should not be given to a child younger than 2 years old. Phenergan can cause severe breathing problems or death in a child younger than 2. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions when giving this medicine to a child of any age. Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. Overdose symptoms may include severe drowsiness, dizziness, dry mouth, large pupils, flushing, nausea, vomiting, shallow breathing, and fainting. Phenergan can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of Phenergan. There are many other medicines that can cause interact with Phenergan. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor. Keep a list with you of all the medicines you use and show this list to any doctor or other healthcare provider who treats you.
    What should I discuss with my doctor before taking Phenergan?
    Phenergan should not be given to a child younger than 2 years old. Phenergan can cause severe breathing problems or death in a child younger than 2. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions when giving this medicine to a child of any age. Do not use Phenergan if you have asthma or other lung disease.

Before taking Phenergan, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

epilepsy or another seizure disorder;

sleep apnea (breathing stops during sleep);

glaucoma;

a stomach ulcer or digestive obstruction;

bone marrow disorder;

problems with urination;

high blood pressure or heart disease; or
    * liver disease.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take Phenergan.
    FDA pregnancy category C. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether Phenergan passes into breast milk or if it could harm an unborn baby. Do not use Phenergan without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

If you are over 60 years of age, you may be more sensitive to the side effects of Phenergan.

All medications have side effects
    Phenergan side effects
    Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Phenergan and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

twitching, or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;

shallow breathing, weak pulse;

hallucinations (seeing or hearing things);

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or

fever, muscle stiffness, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeat, sweating, fainting.

Less serious side effects may include:

dizziness, drowsiness, sleepiness, or confusion;

blurred vision, dry mouth;

ringing in your ears;

mild nausea or vomiting; or

increased sensitivity to sunlight.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.
    What other drugs will affect Phenergan?

I don't believe in dosing children for no good reason.

I would suggest you do everything else possible to tired them out and get them to nap rather then drugging them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promethazine

And it seems it can have the opposite effect on some children and instead of sedatiing them it can make them hyper.
    http://members.essentialbaby.com.au/index.php?showtopic=327081

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The side effects there look grim.

My daughter used to get very travel sick, we couldn't go more than 5 minutes in a car without her vomiting (I don't drive - so it was always other peoples cars/taxis - no we were never invited anywhere!). Our GP prescribed phenergan, and it was a God send. It also knocked her out, which was a bonus, compared to travelling with both of us covered in vomit. It was a relief to know she wasn't going through the misery of travelling feeling so bad.

But if I had known the possible side effects, I would have been too scared to give it to her.

I'm one of those parents who was so worried about peanut allergies that I gave her a peanut in the GPs waiting room, just in case!

(Ironically, she had her first febrile convulsion in our GPs waiting room, we were there for another matter. I hadn't a clue what was wrong, but the GP just said she was fine. We spent the following week in hospital. :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Thanks Thaedydal for all that info, I had no idea of the dangers involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My father is Russian so my family spent a lot of time going there on holidays. My parents used mess with our sleeping patterns in the days leading up to the plane journey so we would sleep most of the way. It worked fine on all of us (8 kids:eek:), and my youngest sister who is now 3 and recently travelled Dublin - Moscow - Vladivostock problem free. I know relatives who have used Phennergan problem free for years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i don't think dozol and phenergan are the same though. dozol is available for children under 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You should check with you chemist re the under twos.

http://www.paydenspharmacy.co.uk/product.asp?parent_id=2092&dept_id=3556&sku=14700I
    Dozol Oral Solution

Classification:

Size: 100 ml

Dozol is used for treating mild pain like teething pain, headache, sore throat, aches and pains. It is also to treat high temperatures, colds and flu. Dozol also reduces the nasal irritation associated with colds and flu.

Dosage/Directions:
    Children 2 years to under 6 years: 1-2 teaspoonful 3-4 times a day.
    6 years to under 12 years: 2-4 teaspoonful 3 times a day.

Paracetamol may cause blood disorders, skin rashes or other allergic reactions.

Due to new government legislation this medicine is no longer suitable for children under 2 years.

To alleviate the symptoms of coughs and colds in children: single-constituent paracetamol or ibuprofen; simple cough medicine (eg, those that contain glycerol or honey and lemon); vapour rubs and inhalant decongestants (which can be applied to a child's clothing); and, particularly in infants, saline nasal drops.

Warnings:
    Do not take Dozol with any other paracetamol containing product, or if you are allergic to paracetamol or any of the other contained ingredients.
    Seek medical advice before taking this product if you have kidney or liver problems, are taking any other medicines including those for epilepsy or fits or if you are taking medicine to thin the blood, control nausea and vomiting or to reduce blood lipids.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100003398.html
    How does it work?

Dozol liquid contains two active ingredients, paracetamol and diphenhydramine hydrochloride.

Paracetamol is a simple painkilling medicine used to relieve mild to moderate pain and fever. Despite its widespread use for over 100 years, we still don't fully understand how paracetamol works to relieve pain and reduce fever. However, it is now thought that it works by reducing the production of prostaglandins in the brain and spinal cord.

The body produces prostaglandins in response to injury and certain diseases. One of the effects of prostaglandins is to sensitise nerve endings, causing pain (presumably to prevent us from causing further harm to the area). As paracetamol reduces the production of these nerve sensitising prostaglandins it is thought it may increase our pain threshold, so that although the cause of the pain remains, we can feel it less.

It is thought paracetamol reduces fever by affecting an area of the brain that regulates our body temperature (the hypothalamic heat-regulating center).

Diphenhydramine is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine. It enters the brain in sufficient quantities to cause drowsiness.

Diphenhydramine drys nasal secretions, by stopping a natural body chemical called histamine from binding to its receptors. Histamine is a chemical produced naturally by the body that has many effects, including the production of allergic symptoms, such as a runny nose. Blocking histamine receptors prevents the actions of histamine, which reduces the production of mucus in the nose.

The combination of active ingredients in this medicine is useful for relieving mild to moderate pain such as teething pain, headaches and sore throat, and for relieving the symptoms of feverish colds and flu in children. The relief from symptoms and the mild sedative effect caused by the medicine can also be helpful for aiding restful sleep.

What is it used for?

* Relieving the symptoms of colds and flu, such as aches and pains, fever, and runny, stuffy or tickly nose.

* Relieving mild to moderate pain, such as headache, sore throat or teething pain.

* Reducing high temperature (fever).

Warning!

* The recommended dose of this medicine varies depending on the age of your child. Carefully follow the dosage instructions provided with this medicine. Do not exceed the recommended dose. The medicine should be administered carefully using the spoon or measuring device supplied to ensure the child does not receive more than the maximum dose.

* This medicine must not be given with any other cough and cold remedies or paracetamol containing products. Many over-the-counter painkillers and cold and flu remedies contain paracetamol. It is important to check the ingredients of any medicines you buy without a prescription before giving them in combination with this medicine. Seek further advice from your pharmacist.

* An overdose of paracetamol is dangerous and capable of causing serious damage to the liver and kidneys. You should never exceed the dose stated in the information leaflet supplied with the medicine. Immediate medical advice should be sought in the event of an overdose with this medicine, even if your child seems well, because of the risk of delayed, serious liver damage.

* This medicine may cause drowsiness. If your child is affected they should avoid performing potentially hazardous activities such as riding a bike or climbing trees. Alcohol should be avoided.

* If symptoms persist for more than three days consult your doctor.

Use with caution in

* Decreased kidney function.

* Decreased liver function.

* Epilepsy.

* Difficulty passing urine (urinary retention).

* Obstruction of the gut.

Not to be used in

* Children under two years of age.

* Closed angle glaucoma.

This medicine should not be used if your child is allergic to one or any of its ingredients. Please inform your doctor or pharmacist if your child has previously experienced such an allergy.

If you feel your child has experienced an allergic reaction, stop using this medicine and inform your doctor or pharmacist immediately.

Side effects

Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.

* Drowsiness.

* Blurred vision.

* Disturbances of the gut such as constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain.

* Dry mouth, nose and throat.

* Skin rash.

* Difficulty in passing urine (urinary retention).

The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.

For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.

How can this medicine affect other medicines?

You should not give your child other cough and cold medicines in combination with this one. Different products may contain the same active ingredient(s) and using more than one at the same time could lead to you exceeding the recommended dose for your child. For further advice talk to your pharmacist.

If your child is already taking any other medicines, including herbal medicines and those bought without a prescription, you should check with your pharmacist before giving this medicine, to ensure that the combination is safe.

You should not give your child other medicines that contain paracetamol in combination with this medicine, as this can easily result in exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of paracetamol. Many cold and flu remedies and over-the-counter painkillers contain paracetamol, so be sure to check the ingredients of any other medicines before giving them with this one.

There may be an increased risk of drowsiness if this medicine is taken in combination with any of the following, which can also cause drowsiness:

* alcohol

* benzodiazepines, eg temazepam, diazepam

* sedating antihistamines, eg promethazine, hydroxyzine, triprolidine, chlorphenamine (these are often found in other non-prescription cough and cold or hayfever remedies)

* sleeping tablets, eg zopiclone

* strong opioid painkillers, eg codeine, dihydrocodeine, morphine

* tricyclic antidepressants, eg amitriptyline.

This medicine should be avoided in children taking any of these.

There may be an increased risk of side effects such as dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation or difficulty passing urine if this medicine is taken with any of the following medicines:

* anticholinergic medicines for urinary incontinence, eg oxybutynin, flavoxate, tolterodine, propiverine, trospium

* antipsychotic medicines, eg chlorpromazine, clozapine

* antispasmodics, eg atropine, hyoscine

* certain antisickness medicines, eg promethazine, prochlorperazine, meclozine, cyclizine

* muscle relaxants, eg baclofen

* MAOI antidepressants, eg phenelzine, tranylcypromine

* procyclidine

* tricyclic or related antidepressants, eg amitriptyline, maprotiline.

Cholestyramine reduces the absorption of paracetamol from the gut. It should not be taken within an hour of taking paracetamol or the effect of the paracetamol will be reduced.

Metoclopramide and domperidone may increase the absorption of paracetamol from the gut.

Long-term or regular use of paracetamol may increase the anti-blood-clotting effect of warfarin and other anticoagulant medicines, leading to an increased risk of bleeding. This effect does not occur with occasional pain-killing doses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tara Cosgrove

Hi all and loop the loop,

The stress of flyiong can put many parents off and it is not getting any easier with early morning check ins.Toddlers are the worst age I can assure you as all they want to do is to move about and wreck the plane.

I have lots of tips and to be honest without trying to plug the business if you want to see them all have a look at my site which I lauched last week called Sticky Fingers Travel for more as I have seven articles on flying alone and lots on what to pack etc.

Once your baby becomes a toddler, travelling brings new challenges and in fact many parents feel this can be the most demanding time to travel with their children. They can be difficult to restrain, prone to tantrums and getting lost and it can be exhausting. It gets better I promise!

A few well chosen pieces of travel gear will help make your journey easier and you should think about and research a lightweight buggy or pram, reigns for active toddlers and if you're going to a warm climate a baby shade.

Toddlers are very good at exploring and are fascinated by different smells and sites and excited by going on holiday. They do not cope well in confinement however; they find long journeys in a car seat or on a plane very frustrating. They love exploring planes so be prepared for a lot of walking up and down the aisles.

One of the keys to travelling with toddlers is to keep them entertained and you should pack a really good entertainment bag full of interesting activities to keep them occupied.

If your toddler takes formula milk then make sure you take enough for the journey. Check that there will be appropriate supplies in your destination or take enough stock with you. Depending on your choice of accommodation preparing fresh food for babies may not always be possible.

My top five for the plane are

Keep them busy

If you have allocated seats board at the end not at the start.I know the wisdom is to board frist and you need to if you have no seats allocated but toddlers do not ciope well with confinement so the less time on board the better.

Pack to keep them busy and with lots of cahnges of clothes for you both

Do not stress too much about others while still doing your best of course

Take turns and take breaks if you are travelling with another adult

Good luck

Tara Cosgrove

Thanks Tara, Lots of helpful advice there..

Good Luck with the new website:)

Well the OH flew to Sicily yesterday with the little one and it went fantastic.

She was a dream he said. And not a drop of phenergan touched her lips!

I passed on all the handy tips I picked up from Boards to him, so he was well equipped! He said, she sat beside another family with kids watching a portable DVD for most of it. And didn't cry once:confused:

Obviously, because I was so stressed when I flew with her she sensed it big time and that's why it was like a scene from a horror movie (for me:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ahh thats good, Enjoy your break now, Make sure you get some "Me" time for yourself.

Lie ons FTW!!

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »
    Ahh thats good, Enjoy your break now, Make sure you get some "Me" time for yourself.

Lie ons FTW!!

Oh I intend to, the house is eerie its so quiet. Total Bliss:D

I had the day off today and got so much done its unbelievable. Amazing, what you can do when you have no-one else to worry about.

5 whole days to myself.. Yehaa..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Oh I intend to, the house is eerie its so quiet. Total Bliss:D

I had the day off today and got so much done its unbelievable. Amazing, what you can do when you have no-one else to worry about.

5 whole days to myself.. Yehaa..
    Enjoy it, looptheloop!

I'm so pleased that all went well on her flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I tried bringing my son to England last year when he was 3 and 8mths. The minute we got through the door of the plane he started getting nervous. By the time we sat down he was crying and about 10 mins later he was screaming that he was frightened and scared. He was in a complete panic and couldn't be soothed so we got off the plane. I just couldn't put him through the whole engines going on and take off. I honestly believe it would have terrified him and then we'd have had to do it 2 days later coming back!
    He still talk about being frightened on the plane and even gets anxious going to the airport to collect people. I have to promise him that we're not going on a plane. Problem is the inlaws live in England so we are boating it for the time being.

Crea wrote: »
    I tried bringing my son to England last year when he was 3 and 8mths. The minute we got through the door of the plane he started getting nervous. By the time we sat down he was crying and about 10 mins later he was screaming that he was frightened and scared. He was in a complete panic and couldn't be soothed so we got off the plane. I just couldn't put him through the whole engines going on and take off. I honestly believe it would have terrified him and then we'd have had to do it 2 days later coming back!
    He still talk about being frightened on the plane and even gets anxious going to the airport to collect people. I have to promise him that we're not going on a plane. Problem is the inlaws live in England so we are boating it for the time being.

Oh you poor thing :eek: That's very difficult for you all. Pain in the backside getting the boat I imagine..

So no sun holidays for you for a while then.. Meh, they are overrated anyway;)

My daughter and her dad came back on sunday and flight was the same as going. Not a bother.. Cool, calm and relaxed was the way he described it... Must be me!!

Advertisement