Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octane, whats their problem

Options
  • 10-05-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Whats the story with Octane.ie, they have themselves set up as the elite of Irish motoring sites!! And they mock this site on a regular basis just because some people are asking for info about cars they dont consider cool. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

As far as I can see, that sight is full of Alfa lovin' muppets!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

who cares what they or others think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

kbannon wrote: »
    who cares what they or others think?

Just wondering why they give this forum such a hard time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

MSporty wrote: »
    Just wondering why they give this forum such a hard time

Because they have an idea of what a car enthusiasts site should be, and they view this site as what it shouldn't be.

Most of the guys on there are sound, but like everywhere, there's some idiots there also.

Wouldn't worry about it to be honest. There's plenty of space on the Internet for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

flanzer wrote: »
    As far as I can see, that sight is full of Alfa lovin' muppets!
    But sure you're not a car enthusiast until you've owned an Alfa:p:rolleyes:!

In fairness there are a lot of silly threads(like the thread about too many discs on a windscreen as an example and all the "speeding threads where a few trolls come on and try to ruin a forum that is normally very good) here though that are not consistent with a forum that's supposed to be about cars.

So I'm not surprised that some people do have a go at this forum(btw, where is this criticism of here on Octane, cause can't find any but I probably haven't been looking in the right place no doubt:D).

But nothing is ever perfect, and I enjoy frequenting the forum apart from that really! So ye're stuck with me for another while I'm afraid:D!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ya maybe they have a point. I like this forum, but pointless threads and the constant 'speeding is so evil' threads are not really screaming enthusiast now are they? The forum is good, dont get me wrong, I just wish more genuine petrolheads frequented it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I signed up there a while ago, but stopped soon after mainly because of the constant bashing of boards.ie - not just this forum either.

True, there have been some ridiculous threads here ("windshield clutter", hold your hand up), but the clique-ishness and outright pompousity of some of the regulars on Octane made it an easy choice for me (the amount of boards.ie bashing there did make it feel like an us or them thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Octane you say?

"[SIZE=-1]Family of alkane molecules, formula C 8 H 18 . Several different isomers exist with different structures but the same chemical formula. One of the isomers, 2,3,4-trimethylpentane, is the standard for knock properties in automobile engines. ..."

Maybe they could put that in simple language - without knocking of course.
    [/SIZE]

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Octane to be fair is for die-hard petrolheads and I think you will find a wide diversity of cars (not just Alfa's). People who really drive their cars, do hands-on maintenance and not just pose in them. IMHO Boards would be better called "motoring" than "motors" as it is a more generic forum. I know there are a lot of true car fans here too (minority), but at the same time, there comes a point where another thread about Golf's, Tdi's and the like is really boring. There is a world beyond BMW M3's and Audi A5's as well so with a lack of imagination here at times, I can see where they are coming from. Both sites suit a different audience so best if neither criticised the other, unless constructive criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Im a member on both sites and Octane is more for the die hard petrolhead whereas here is really for anyone that wants to say anything about cars. I would post here more often because i would often post elementary questions:p

not really into all the boards bashing that goes on there. i can see where theyre coming from but it happens too often imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The difference is in the structure - they have technical sections and a boots off/feet up forum whereras here we, dispite all the sub-forums do not have a place for general low-grade motoring chit-chat.

That said thier tech board is pretty quiet for a supposed petrol-heads site as is every forum apart from Back-roads so maybe on reflection we have it the right way.

Mike.

Advertisement