Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie: The place to learn to break the law?

Options
  • 11-05-2008 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I fully accept I'll be flamed but hear me out.
    I could point to 15 plus threads in a few minutes of posters making purchases in the USA and looking for advice to dodge customs duty.

If someone asked for advice on breaking the law in the motors forum they'd get a warning pretty quickly. The high horse brigade miss nothing :D
    And if you ask for personal advice on the legal forum you get an infraction.

But why can posters in Mac and Cycling forums for example ask for advice on buying gear in New York for example and how to dodge customs on their return? It's very prevelant on boards and I believe you can't ban and infract posters for suggesting breaching the law and then encourage others.

If I suggesting violence against an abusive boyfriend in personal issues for example I'd be banned. If I told a poster how to buy a new racing bike in the USA and how to dodge customs in Shannon airport the nothing would be said :confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Did you report any of those posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did you report any of these posts? I don't allow customs or tax dodging in Online Buying and Auctions, used to happen a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Most likely because nobody really cares about a bit of customs dodging.

Seriously if this is your most pressing concern you need to get out more!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't think there's a lot to customs dodging anyway. Everyone knows the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

micmclo wrote: »
    If I suggesting violence against an abusive boyfriend in personal issues for example I'd be banned. If I told a poster how to buy a new racing bike in the USA and how to dodge customs in Shannon airport the nothing would be said :confused:

Because of the vast difference in how serious these two things are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'll admit I didn't report these posts and I very rarely report anything.
    This was more of a general question, I'm not looking to second guess mods and their policies.

To be fair the Mac forum did crack down but there's a few threads always on "I'm going to New York and............."

On the cycling forum, nothing is ever said or done

woooo232 wrote: »
    Most likely because nobody really cares about a bit of customs dodging.

Seriously if this is your most pressing concern you need to get out more!

Makes no difference to me, I'm not looking to change a mods policies or looking to set standards.
    It's a general question so Feedback forum is the correct place to post it. So get lost with your "need to get out more" comment

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I don't know, maybe you should direct this question at the Cycling mods. Seems like they'd be the people who'd know.

The only people who regularly read Feedback are administrators and "the feedback crew", which encompasses various regular users and moderators who are interested. Moderators don't necessarily all read this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Is that all you have for worrying about? I know some of the mods are idiots, but unless they were seriously uptight, I can't see why they would ban a user for saying "I went to NY, bought a laptop and customs didn't question me, so I left"

Customs is not an obligitory tax unless you are asked for it by an revenue/garda official. whats the problem dood?
    CuLT wrote: »
    The only people who regularly read Feedback are administrators and "the feedback crew", which encompasses various regular users and moderators who are interested. Moderators don't necessarily all read this forum.
    Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I actually I wonder if the hike in Customs screening measures isnt a direct result of some of the posts that have been made on sites like boards over the years.

Shame too, its caused me to miss out on a lot of great opportunities :(

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    I actually I wonder if the hike in Customs screening measures isnt a direct result of some of the posts that have been made on sites like boards over the years.

Shame too, its caused me to miss out on a lot of great opportunities :(
    Don't worry, it's just being brought into line with the rest of europe... and every christmas, it's all over television (ie. RTÉ news), about people escaping paying customs duties.. not Boards' fault..

Ah yeah but sometimes you just get the feelings that some news stories and the like are sometimes just ripped right off the thread pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

nevf wrote: »
    Customs is not an obligitory tax unless you are asked for it by an revenue/garda official. whats the problem dood?

Car clocking is also not illegal (unless you try to sell the car after) but this type of discussion would not be allowed in the Motors forum.

Double standards if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Why, do the Motors moderators also moderate the Mac and Cycling forums?

Car clocking is also not illegal (unless you try to sell the car after) but this type of discussion would not be allowed in the Motors forum.

who clocks there car if not to extort the fabrication?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

nevf wrote:
    Is that all you have for worrying about? ...
    No, you need to get out more!
    nevf wrote:
    Customs is not an obligitory tax
    Not even a tax, but obligatory nonetheless.
    Overheal wrote:
    Say again. Message garbled.

Not your ornery onager

who goes to the bother of clocking their car if they arent trying to make a gain out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Who cares if people don't pay customs tax? It's easily avoided, I'd be surprised if someone had to actually ask how to do it in the first place.

The government don't deserve the money so just avoid giving it to them wherever possible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

But why can posters in Mac and Cycling forums for example ask for advice on buying gear in New York for example and how to dodge customs on their return?
    Fail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its easy. You go up to the lad and explain your situation, wink, and walk away. Guarnteed.*

May or may not be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

rb_ie wrote: »
    Who cares if people don't pay customs tax? It's easily avoided, I'd be surprised if someone had to actually ask how to do it in the first place.

The government don't deserve the money so just avoid giving it to them wherever possible :)
    That isn't the point the OP is making here. You're right when you say who cares about paying customs tax but the issue is should discussion on how to evade it be allowed on a particular forum when it appears that such discussion is taboo on other forums.

As a comparison we don't allow any debate or discussion on how to flaunt planning laws in the construction & planning forum.

My thoughts are that it should a be a site wide rule that such topics are not discussed.

I acknowledged the great work the Mac forum mods did in Post 7

esel wrote: »
    No, you need to get out more!
    ...and why's that? I'm not the one moaning about a stupid little "excise duty"
    Not even a tax, but obligatory nonetheless.
    It's not.
    It can't be recalled on your tax statement as overdue. You can only be forced to pay for it if you are directly fined on the spot.
    Ah yeah but sometimes you just get the feelings that some news stories and the like are sometimes just ripped right off the thread pages
    Good point. I get that impression too sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My understanding in most forums was that there's no problem with people talking about going over to NY to shop etc., but nothing specifically about evading customs was allowed. Is that not so on most of them?

because thats perfectly fair and legal etc.

crash_000 wrote: »
    My understanding in most forums was that there's no problem with people talking about going over to NY to shop etc., but nothing specifically about evading customs was allowed. Is that not so on most of them?

because thats perfectly fair and legal etc.
    Yep, I agree with that sort of system in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

micmclo wrote: »
    I'll admit I didn't report these posts and I very rarely report anything.
    This was more of a general question, I'm not looking to second guess mods and their policies.

I guess the general answer would be that mods can't be expected to see and notice everything, but can be expected to see and notice everything reported.

If you think a problem is worth someone's attention, the first step should be to report the post(s) in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

if you can get the seller to say that it costs less than 45 dollars you can dodge some charges when importing from usa.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Overheal, English please! We don't understand your crazy Amerobabble on this side of the Atlantic! :p
    pwd wrote: »
    if you can get the seller to say that it costs less than 45 dollars you can dodge some charges when importing from usa.
    Lol! Why do I get the feeling the previous poster missed the point just slightly?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

muffler wrote: »
    My thoughts are that it should a be a site wide rule that such topics are not discussed.

Yeah I agree. No direct discussion of how to evade it should be allowed.

That said, if you're stupid enough that you can't figure out how to do it, you don't deserve to dodge the tax :p

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. No direct discussion of how to evade it should be allowed.

That said, if you're stupid enough that you can't figure out how to do it, you don't deserve to dodge the tax :p
    it's not that hard really... but at the same time,i dont think it should be specifically discussed.

Advertisement