Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it (il)Legal to run a diesel on Vegetable Oil??

Options
  • 11-05-2008 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Noboby seems to know!! is it legal or illegal to run vegatable oil in a Diesel
    cars in Ireland??
    in the u.k they can use 2500 litres without paying tax!!!!
    row..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

It's legal as long as you pay the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

How much Tax per litre??
    Veg oil burns off less Co2 emissions than diesel,
    so we should be getting money back when we use it!!!!
    row...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Row wrote: »
    How much Tax per litre??
    Veg oil burns off less Co2 emissions than diesel,
    so we should be getting money back when we use it!!!!
    row...
    Getting money back? From whom?

The green party....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Row wrote: »
    The green party....

The green party? They're the ones that stimulate us to dump our old cars and to keep buying brand new ones. They subsidise people who drive lots of miles at the cost of people who drive very little. My V8 Porsche is greener than the green party is these days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

ARGINITE wrote: »

How do you pay this tax? At the end of the year? Keep reciepts from tesco or wherever and send it into the revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You are hardly going to be paying the revenue tax on recycled chip oil. I certainly would not, we already pay road tax and tolls.

Still wondering is it legal or illegal to use the veg oil????.
    Don't want to find out if the customs take me one side after the dip my
    Car!!!!
    row..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've already been answered in the very first response - its legal so long as you pay the tax. Contact Revenue for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

there are certain suppliers approved to create a certain amount of veggie oil for fuel use. you are allowed to buy fuel from them. when it runs out.... it either runs out or they have to sell it with the duty added on... not sure which.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guar

Hi,

Unfortunately vegetable oil is in the minaral oil tax. It is treated as Biofuel (pure plant oil PPO), which is to be taxed with the same rate than substitute fuel, which is taxed the same rate than Diesel with 371,?? per 1000 litre in 2005. After speaking with a customs officer the enduser is responsible to keep track and to tax it. When the greens came into power I wrote several emails to them when they are going to change this and go no answer on this so far. In other EU countries the PPO is not in the mineral oil tax because the name is MINERAL OIL TAX an does not apply to vegi oil.

I just tried to import a 2 tank conversion system to Ireland two years ago.
    Those systems work quite well as long as you have no Lucas/CAV, Rotodiesel, Condiesel or Stanadyne injection pump. You start the car on diesel until the engine coolant is warm enough and the system switches over to the vegi oil which is then preheated with an heat exchanger. Only when you are about to end the drive you have to switch over to diesel with a manual switch or you have a quick flush unit. Then there is no vegi oil in the system for the next start. If used pure the vegi oil has to be preheated and then it burns with the same combustion values than diesel. You lose further the sulfide oxides in total and you would drive CO2 neutral. Only its density stays higher, that is why a Lucas/CAV, Rotodiesel, Condiesel or Stanadyne pump would break. This applies to older chamber diesel engines. Direct injectors(TDI,HDI), pumpe düse and commonrail diesel engines are a bit more complicated. Here it depends on the pump. If the pump cannot cope with the higher density of the PPO, it cannot be converted to a 2 tank system. In most cases it is posible to convert then to a one tank system, where the injectors, the glow plugs, the motormanagement(chip has to be reprogramed), the fuel hoses are changed and a heating unit in the tank has to be installed. Two tank systems are available on the continent from about 500 Euros, one tank systems from about 1000. I have seen also other cheaper attempts, but those are rubbish!

If your chamber diesel engine is with a non Lucas/CAV, Rotodiesel, Condiesel or Stanadyne pump you could mix up to one third (33%) of vegi oil to diesel. This would work without installing any conversion kit. I do not think that that would be seen in a dip test but the exhaust fumes smell a bit like a chip shop. So you would still have to tax the vegi oil you put in the tank.

I cannot advice to do any of the above described procedures because you would break the law!

Special Thanks here to the Green Party, who are useless like an abscess. Thanks for not replying to my mails! That proved my opinion that if a party comes to power they just throw their principles over board. Not only the Irish Greens, so did the German Greens in '98.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

guar wrote: »
    Hi,

Good first post - welcome to boards.ie. Sie sind Deutsch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guar

SteveC wrote: »
    Good first post - welcome to boards.ie. Sie sind Deutsch?

Thanks SteveC :o
    Ja ich bin, but I consider myself more European

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ha! Why would you want to do that? Those **** get enough money from us as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its a grey spot... but tbh, once your car dont bellow out heeps of smoke your generally grand...

Advertisement