Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nobody drives topless anymore.....

Options
  • 11-05-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I notice how there are so many convertibles and coupe/convertibles on the roads but im wondering why the hoods are never down, even on hot days in summer, whether stationary or driving around.....they dont seem to be serving their purpose...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Man that thread title sent my mind totally the wrong way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Maybe they are serving another purpose like privacy for the get down and get durty crowd ?

sorry it was the topless reference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

/disappointment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

because people that drive with the top down are certified gimps.

fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭Esel

G Luxel wrote: »
    I notice how there are so many convertibles and coupe/convertibles on the roads but im wondering why the hoods are never down, even on hot days in summer, whether stationary or driving around.....they dont seem to be serving their purpose...
    So superfluous. Even so, hoods, by definition, are always 'down', Especially in Limerick.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ClioV6 wrote: »

fact.

Indeed.

Under no circumstances should a gentleman be seen in a convertible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, you're just not driving in gimp central, south Co. Dublin. I'm starting to think that people are taking angle-grinders to their cars so as not to look out of place. I always think you know the good cars because on a warm summers day they have all the windows firmly shut, climate control FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I dont think I've ever seen as many convertables with the top down as I have in the last week, theyre every 100 yards in South Dublin at the mo. Where do they all hide during the winter?

I love the idea of a convertable, having one would be awesome in someplace like California. Dont know why youd buy one here where you've to deal with crappy weather 10 months of the year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Despite all the moaning, it actually doesn't rain that much. You'd get lots of use out of a convertible. If you can ignore all the Jezza wannabe's quoting the world according to Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Blut wrote: »
    I love the idea of a convertable, having one would be awesome in someplace like California. Dont know why youd buy one here where you've to deal with crappy weather 10 months of the year though.
    Nonsense. As long as it's not raining, which isn't as much as most whingers and moaners claim, then the hood can come down. In fact one of the best times to drive 'topless' is in the middle of winter on one of those really cold frosty days, with the heating on full blast. All this crap about convertibles only being for the South of France or California is just that, crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC the sales of convertibles (as a percentage of overall sales) on the continent is much lower than the UK & Ireland because the people there prefer aircon and not sunburnt scalps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

esel wrote: »
    So superfluous. Even so, hoods, by definition, are always 'down', Especially in Limerick.

Indeed, I passed a Beetle, Eos, Focus CC, Jag and 3 Series withe the hoods down on my way home from work earlier i the week. The neighbours had the hood off the 335 too;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have my top down as long as it is not raining and above 10c and I love it. Would never by a car that was not a drop top.

OH and I am a man to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What happens these days is that people buy a convertible and then switch the aircon on so no need to go topless:eek:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I hired a convertible in Italy last year, We didn't get the top down too much, it was far too hot during the day. If you got stopped in traffic you just cooked.

Over here I use the convertible roof down as much as possible, Even if its starts to rain as long as you are moving you won't get wet. I think in and around the city I prefer too have the top up, there is just too much noise and pollution. Not that having the top up solves either problem but it feels like it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hah, funnily enough coming home today i saw three, an slk, 911 and a 307. Funny that, i would of said the same myself only for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Having a convertible in California is not much use, maybe at night. Its too hot. In fact we have a pretty good climate for a convertible believe it or not. You only need an hour or two every now and again to get the buzz from open top (or topless!) driving. At least that's what I think anyway. There's nothing like it for a hangover cure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Drove from Dublin -Longford and back again today and saw two 320's , a streetka, and the nicest, a 2.4 A4 all with the roof down.

Then on Griffith Avenue an M3 with top down and a GTR that made me drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I always have the roof down........even in light rain, so long as im moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

fact.

Where can I get my certificate? I've a few days off and I'm making the most of the top down. If you were to drive one with this weather especially like last weekends, you'd wonder why all cars don't have drop tops.

• Advertisement

Where can I get my certificate? I've a few days off and I'm making the most of the top down. If you were to drive one with this weather especially like last weekends, you'd wonder why all cars don't have drop tops.

The certificate comes in the form of a slagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw two hood down convertibles yesterday afternoon on a 3 mile journey. Renualt Megane and something else modern and dull.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The certificate comes in the form of a slagging.
    A slagging from you? That's scary, i'll be sure to keep my top up from now on.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Under no circumstances should a gentleman be seen in a convertible.

Unless the convertible is a classic like an Austin-Healey or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

@OP - Might be cos having the top down makes the mpg fall through the floor. And with the cost of petrol these days thats an expensive habit. Aircon effects mpg as well, but not to the same extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

fact.

Hi ClioV6,

here is a definition of a gimp -
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This gimp speaker.gif
      <LI minmax_bound="true">A limp or a limping gait.
    1. A person who limps.

I have a convertable as a weekend car and in this fine weather i like to drive it with the top down - and I'm neither of the above.
    I'd like you to apologise to all of us who like to drive sports roadsters/convertables with the top down as opposed to driving metal roofed euro boxes with wide rear wheel arches.
    Come on now, do the decent thing and apologize:D

Hi ClioV6,

here is a definition of a gimp -
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This gimp speaker.gif
      <LI minmax_bound="true">A limp or a limping gait.
    1. A person who limps.

I have a convertable as a weekend car and in this fine weather i like to drive it with the top down - and I'm neither of the above.
    I'd like you to apologise to all of us who like to drive sports roadsters/convertables with the top down as opposed to driving metal roofed euro boxes with wide rear wheel arches.
    Come on now, do the decent thing and apologize:D

We're better than you and we're faster than you.
    There shall be no apologizing. :pac:

and btw, my definition of the word gimp comes from the Urban dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

and we're faster than you.
    D'ya reckon?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Anan1 wrote: »
    D'ya reckon?:)

+1

kids these day....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Wouldn't having the top down mess up their hair......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement