Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport > Shankill = €88

• 11-05-2008 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I was a fool to send my American friend to Dublin, telling her that she'd pay max €50 to in a Taxi to Shankill.

I nearly killed her when she told me what she was charged.

€88

The friendly Nigerian Taxi driver insisted that it would be cheaper to drive all the way around the M50, even though she requested to go through the city via N11 as I instructed. (it's cheaper to drive through the city off-peak)

But no, he went though the M50 and got lost, of course, and drove willy-nilly around BRAY for 10 mins until my American friend re-suggested that he enter the full address into the Tomtom GPS.

Hey presto, the GPS showed he was WAY of course.

Well, he got her to Shankill eventually, but fking charged her €88 for his troubles.

She has his number and licence plate.

What next? :eek:

It's a fking disgrace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Firstly
    If instructed by the passenger the Taxi Diver MUST go the route that the passenger requests EVEN if he does know a shorter rote.The fact that your friend requested to go through town but the driver insisted going across the M50 means the driver is in the wrong.
    Secondly
    Get onto The Taxi Regulator and give them the details.Whatever you do DO NOT LET THIS DROP.You will try and be fudged off by the Taxi Regulator with forms and Time Delays.Insist on your level of anger and demand this be resolved.
    Please keep us informed.

ps ia m a full time Taxi Driver and am sick of people complaing and not doing anything.Please follow this up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

This reflects very badly on the taxi industry as a whole, as evidenced by your apparent anger. As a full time taxi driver, who knows the city inside out, who goes out of his way to be helpful and accommodating, and to charge no more than absolutely necessary, it is embarrassing on a daily basis to be apologising to customers for incidences such as these that they have all encountered at different times.

Unsuitable and untested drivers are flooding into the industry on a weekly basis, and standards are falling like a stone. The regulator promises jam tomorrow. Everyone and anyone can apply for a taxi licence today, and tomorrow or the next day we will consider raising standards, vetting drivers, age of cars, etc. In the meantime, hardworking and conscientious drivers like myself will have been driven out of the industry.

Everyone complains to their friends and neighbours about taxi drivers. Well complain where it counts. Harass and harangue the regulator, and demand those standards you should rightfully have TODAY, and not at some vague ideal of a future date, when everything in the country will supposedly come right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

By the way, complain to the taxi regulator, and DO please come back here and tell us what response you got. There are an awful lot of decent taxi drivers who would be sickened by your experience, and would welcome active measures to weed these chancers out. What DOES the regulator actively do about complaints such as these? Precious little, I fear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new aircoach service - about €12 one way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

I always thought that a taxi driver had to switch off the meter if he got lost or didn't know the way?

Am I wrong or is this more or an etiquette thing that some good cabbies would practice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

markf909 wrote: »
    I always thought that a taxi driver had to switch off the meter if he got lost or didn't know the way?

Am I wrong or is this more or an etiquette thing that some good cabbies would practice?

Turning off ones meter ends the trip so the passengers may not be covered under insurance in the event of any incident taking place so it wouldn't be an option IMO. Personally if I was to go wayward, I would pull over and check any destinations I am unsure of on the OSI street map and give a discount at the end if needs be be; other guys are more content to drive round in circles and demand payment for it afterwards :mad:

There isn't any specific legal practice to follow about what happens when a driver is lost; indeed there actually is no legal obligation on a driver to sort it out in the event of getting lost; the onus is on the passenger to pay the correct fare or to ask for a discount. The driver is merely obliged to drive the most expeditious route from A to B unless directed otherwise by a passenger (Yes, that is the actual word used over the years under the Statutory Instrument covering taxis and PSV licenses). Daft, I know but as it stands, this is the case. The complaint form is available here http://www.taxireg.ie/files/Complaint_Form_March-2008.pdf I would also suggest it may be fruitful to let Dublin Airport know about this lad to see has he a permit to work from there or if they have any issues with him; 814 4823 or 814 1782.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Definately would be something of an etiquette thing or as most drivers would say " Only Fare it was my mistake.. " but with the influx of new drivers these stories seem to be increasing exponentialy but then when we told people earlier we were only accused of trying to protect our incomes so at the end of the day you're just gonna have to get used to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Lovely example of the taxi industry as it is today. When someone get's into my taxi and asks me to go a certain route I just do it. If I'm not 100% sure what the customer means I just ask for a bit of clarification. In this case the N11 through town would be as follows : Is that the Port Tunnel and the East-link you mean or do you want to go by Gardiner Street and Sandymount and onto the Rock Road or just straight into the center and through Donnybrook onto the dual carraigeway ?

Even going the M50 from the Airport for 88 euro you get a good bit further than Shankill outside peak traffic. Last time I went from the AP to Greystones via the M50 on the customers request it ran about 92 Euro so that gives you an idea where your 88 Euro should get you.

Plain and simple, that particular driver was purely taking the piss and deserves to get the book thrown at him/her.

I've made mistakes myself but I've never asked for what's on the meter in those circumstances. It just wouldn't be proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I've made mistakes myself but I've never asked for what's on the meter in those circumstances. It just wouldn't be proper.
    Similar experience after hailing a cab in central in London, driver didn't know exactly where my hotel was in Canary Wharf (it was new). He only charged me as far as the general area and not for 'looking around'. I tipped him the difference anyway.

In some cirrcumstances, it may be a good idea to (nicely) haggle the fare if you think (wih reason) it's excessive. Might save making a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I use taxis quite a lot, and it really is a mixed bag. You can meet some of the nicest genuine men and women around, who will not rip you off, and then unfortunately you have the horror stories.
    Complain to the regulator and keep following it up until you get a satisfactory resolution

• Advertisement
Advertisement