Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW and mobile broadband

Options
  • 11-05-2008 2:57am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried WoW on Three/O2/Vodafone mobile braodband and if so what was the result?
    Is it playable at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

YUp I have it and so does my partner, plays on o2 broadband no problem, we are in Dublin but id imagine it depends on the area, make sure u are in hsdpa coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

400ms ping i think, but playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

What sorta graphics card / processor would be required for a laptop to play it on?? Need one so can try and get to do other things while playin it, lol. Dam addiction :mad: Could maybe play on train to & from work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im in waterford and used Three. Lets just say it was so bad infact unplayable. O2 and Vodafone i hope would be better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Berns wrote: »
    What sorta graphics card / processor would be required for a laptop to play it on?? Need one so can try and get to do other things while playin it, lol. Dam addiction :mad: Could maybe play on train to & from work :D

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

On a slightly offtopic note how does playing wow over a wifi connection work? Is it playable/high ping?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm on Three, so it doesn't look good.

I have't played WoW in over a year and was thinking about getting back into when my exams are over next week.
    Doesn't look like it'll be playable however.

To the above poster, you should have absolutely no problems playing WoW on a Wi-fi connection. It should be easily as good as an ethernet broadband connection.

Ok installed it and played on Three mobile broadband with no problems so far.
    Just got a Troll to level 3 in the valley of trials but haven't entered a big city yet, that will be the real test I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

theoreticially, as long as you are connecting useing a 3g signal you should be fine to play.

F uck it.
    Installed TBC and then I was instructed to download the patch - 1.1GB.
    FFS. The direct download address doesn't seem to be working so I was on that P2P snail slow torrent s hit. Basically it was going about 4kB/sec.
    F uck Blizzard and their insinstence of making people use torrents rather than pay for file servers which would make downloading the patches a lot easier.

• Advertisement

just search for a mirror. www.wowwiki.com has a section dedicated to it.

Anti wrote: »
    just search for a mirror. www.wowwiki.com has a section dedicated to it.

Thanks.
    Downloading a mirror now from Rapidshare.

So how does it work? When I join all the rapidshare parts together do I just double click the .exe file and everything runs automatically?

Do I have to put the patch in the WOW program file folder or can I run it directly
    from desktop?

What about the parts of the patch I downloaded already?

Ive never downloaded using rapidshares, but i would imagien so. And yeah, you can run it from yoru desktop, or any other folder id imagine. If not move it into the root wow dir and run it from there.

Thanks.
    Downloaded the 1.1GB file from Rapidshare in an hour and Installed it and I have TBC up and running.
    In 4 hours I downloaded 98MB from Blizzard's patch downloader.

Blizzard should have a long hard think about how they dole out patches.
    With revenues they make they should have proper file servers.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Downloaded the 1.1GB file from Rapidshare in an hour and Installed it and I have TBC up and running.
    In 4 hours I downloaded 98MB from Blizzard's patch downloader.

Blizzard should have a long hard think about how they dole out patches.
    With revenues they make they should have proper file servers.

Completly agree. Myself ive always received max speeds from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I dont think they want to use there main servers to host the patch because that would slow down the game servers or website which gets heavy use during patch time. I think thats the reason.

I dont think they want to use there main servers to host the patch because that would slow down the game servers or website which gets heavy use during patch time. I think thats the reason.

That's crap. If the file servers get slowed then they buy more. Simple as that.

Most people can't get decent speeds from P2P due to port forwarding and firewall problems.
    I went from getting 8kB/sec from Blizzard to 250kB/sec from Rapidshare.

Ok. Popped into Orgrimmar today at peak time to test the Three broadband modem.

Absolutely no problems - no lag or anything. Everything ran smooth which really surprised me.

BTW, and players here in the Dentarg PVP realm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ayreon

on vodafone mobile internet getting a pretty high ms, 500-600 and often 1500ms in Dublin/Kildare.

its fine if you wanna farm AV in work on a laptop but for arena or if you got a job to do in pve like kicking a target or healing a target, you havent a hope.

Advertisement