Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident in Corbally

Options
  • 11-05-2008 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

This happened at the entrance to my estate last nite,knew something was up when i saw 2 squad cars parked up along the entrance when leaving for work,they have the area cordorned off.Does anyone have any more info on it?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0511/limerick.html

Teen killed in Limerick stabbing
    Sunday, 11 May 2008 07:32

A teenager has been killed in a stabbing incident in Limerick.

It happened in the Corbally area just after 11pm last night.

The victim was aged 16 or 17 and was from Eastern Europe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

dont know but heard there was also a woman in here 70s found dead in suspicious circumstances last night

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

About the killing out by Westbury, One kid was killed after being stabbed in the chest, another is in hospital with similar wounds. A 16 yo was arrested by the Gardai this morning at 8am and can be held for up to 12 hours.

Have heard nothing new about the lady that was found dead, other than she had head injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Kess73 wrote: »
    About the killing out by Westbury, One kid was killed after being stabbed in the chest, another is in hospital with similar wounds. A 16 yo was arrested by the Gardai this morning at 8am and can be held for up to 12 hours.

Have heard nothing new about the lady that was found dead, other than she had head injuries.
    Ya thats exactly what I have heard too. The kid that died was Latvian his family live in Westbury and have only been in the country for six years.

Also heard nothing about the lady found dead

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I heard about this incident first thing after waking up this morning. Scared the sh!t out of me when I found out. I didn't know him, but apparently the guy used to live quite near me, even used to hang around with one of my friends.

How fu(ked up is it that a 16 year can go out some night and kill anther child? I'm no wise old man myself, but 16 years of age is still childhood. It's insane. Stories of this kind would be absolutely dominating every headline if it happened in England. I hate to sound like a reactionist muppet, but this sort of crime can only be summed up as "Grand Theft Auto mentality". I can't think of anything else to compare it to. It's serious violent crime with no thought whatsoever about consequences or repurcussions.

I've got younger siblings, both of whom have friends in Corbally, and it's fu(king scary to think about what could happen, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

(Also, I think RTÉ have changed their headline to say County Clare instead of Limerick.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

well,i live in Carraig Midhe where it happened,you can imagine how i feel.I could of been easily walking back from the chipper/shop/pub at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

An Fhile wrote: »
    I heard about this incident first thing after waking up this morning. Scared the sh!t out of me when I found out. I didn't know him, but apparently the guy used to live quite near me, even used to hang around with one of my friends.

How fu(ked up is it that a 16 year can go out some night and kill anther child? I'm no wise old man myself, but 16 years of age is still childhood. It's insane. Stories of this kind would be absolutely dominating every headline if it happened in England. I hate to sound like a reactionist muppet, but this sort of crime can only be summed up as "Grand Theft Auto mentality". I can't think of anything else to compare it to. It's serious violent crime with no thought whatsoever about consequences or repurcussions.

I've got younger siblings, both of whom have friends in Corbally, and it's fu(king scary to think about what could happen, being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

(Also, I think RTÉ have changed their headline to say County Clare instead of Limerick.)

that is reactionist, not to mention stupid, people were getting stabbed long before GTA ever came out, typical blame games and movies not the fact the people involved decided to do it themselves, must be all those tv shows they watched warping their fragile little minds

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I dont think he was actually blaming GTA

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

krudler wrote: »
    that is reactionist, not to mention stupid, people were getting stabbed long before GTA ever came out, typical blame games and movies not the fact the people involved decided to do it themselves, must be all those tv shows they watched warping their fragile little minds
    jackncoke wrote: »
    I dont think he was actually blaming GTA

Thanks jackncoke, you're right, I wasn't actually blaming the game.

@ Krudler: What I meant was that, having played nearly all the games in the series myself, and having seen friends play the others, there is nothing I can think of that lends itself more readily or appropriately for comparison. I f***ing hate the people who come out putting the blame on Rockstar Games/Marilyn Manson/Saw movies, etc.

Obviously stabbings have been happening for a long time, probably for 1000s of years before pop-culture was ever even dreamed of. But what the f*** could make one kid murder another? There's no way of justifying it, even if one can imagine a reasoning for the fact the people involved decided to do it themselves.

Children, teenagers and people in general should not have to think twice before going outside just in case someone is waiting for them with a weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

radio was saying this incident was in Co Clare all day? Was it Westbury or Corbally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Just up from westbury, its just co.clare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I know the lady in her 70's that was found dead, they first thought it was suspicious but thats been cleared now

An Fhile wrote: »
    It's serious violent crime with no thought whatsoever about consequences or repurcussions.

Ya it is unbelievable! What ever happened to having a disagreement that a couple of punches at each other could solve!

Since I posted last I met the guy that was first on the scene. That wasnt a good story to hear, though he did say the ambulance was brilliant and had arrived within 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi I am a new member, but live in that estate too.

Very sad.

anyone know "which" wasteland they found the knives? Out the front?

They were in searching the ditch that runs along side Shannon banks too.

A second person has been arrested in connection with the fatal stabbing of a 16-year-old in Co Clare.

A 19-year-old man was arrested shortly before 7pm this evening.

He is being detained at Mayorstone Garda Station in Limerick.

RTÉ news website

Just an update for anyone still following this story.

So thats a 16 and a 19 year old arrested so is it? Is the 16 year old still in custody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

No, he was released without charge and a file prepapred for the DPP.

Advertisement