Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA not telling size of property !!

Options
  • 11-05-2008 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Recently i come across an EA from North Dublin having a lot of enlisted property but none of those has size of rooms/ property. I called their office yesterday and got a reply "we don't measure rooms, You can have a look and get an idea". Is it appropriate way to deal with customers.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Like car dealers and many other sales staff, the celtic tiger brought the arrogance in a lot of people. Give it time and they will come down to earth with a hefty bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

confuzed wrote: »
    Recently i come across an EA from North Dublin having a lot of enlisted property but none of those has size of rooms/ property. I called their office yesterday and got a reply "we don't measure rooms, You can have a look and get an idea". Is it appropriate way to deal with customers.

No it is not an appropriate way to deal with a customer.

In a market on the down turn it is a crazy way to deal with someone.

You'd love to be able to contact the owner and let them know what the EA ins't doing for their fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Profiler wrote: »
    You'd love to be able to contact the owner and let them know what the EA ins't doing for their fee!

Drop a note in the letterbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Onikage wrote: »
    Drop a note in the letterbox?
    Good idea !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It could be a legal issue, because there can be differences in measuring the property, do you measure the floor area excluding walls because in old houses they can be up to 2ft thick or if there included is this a false measurement?

I know of an Estate Agent being brought to court over measurements being incorrect, so maybe this EA is just playing it safe. The OP should really make an appointment to look at the property to get a feel for the property as they already know how many rooms are in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Floor area isn't that hard a concept to grasp. It should not encompass the walls in my opinion. It is the size of the room that matters and that doesn't include the floor are covered by the walls.

I used to live in other countries where even in rental ad, the floor area was included. In France, there is a standard by which internal measurements are given (there are issues in rooms with sloping ceilings, for example). It would be no big deal to implement a standard and have people apply it. It should be mandatory in the ads.

I don't really care how many rooms are in a property. there is no point in me going if all three bedrooms are too small and a little forward planning by the EA would prevent both theirs and my time being wasted.

The response from the EA is inadequate. What I would say to that - were I to get it as a response - is that "I am not interested in seeing the property then. or indeed, any other property you are trying to sell. There are plenty of other houses/apartments on sale at the moment". A few more people doing this and suddenly measurements will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A complaint to their representative association may be in order - check if they are IAVI or SCS members.

The usual area used by estate agents is the "carpet area", that is everything between the skirting boards, measured across fittings and excluding the thickness of walls.

Construction is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

It can be a legal issue but Victor is right about carpet area. Most of the ads on Daft show carpet area.
    I have seen two bed apt larger than 3 bed apt. My present requirement (and affordability) is two bed but i don't want to stuck in a shoebox.
    I live in an apartment and I can easily firgure out dimensions by comparing my present apt.
    Number _____comes to the market in excellent condition throughout and consists of modern style graphite kitchen, dining area / living area which boasts laminated wood flooring, two good size bedrooms, master bedroom with a fully tiled en-suite and fully tiled guest bathroom.

Viewing of this property comes highly recommended

Now tell me what do i get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Heh, that one's written as though it's a 4 bed. is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

TBH I would just walk away..

If they are not bothering to measure the place, it means they are cowboys [if they have a brand name over their door or not]. Who knows what other ways they will mess you around moving forward with a sale.

Feck that, plenty more stuff for sale these days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Victor wrote: »
    ...The usual area used by estate agents is the "carpet area", that is everything between the skirting boards, measured across fittings and excluding the thickness of walls.

Construction is different.

Most of the ads I see list length by width. I assume they pick the longest possible length e.g. the wee bit the door opens into is included to make the room sound bigger than the usable area?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of the ads I see list length by width. I assume they pick the longest possible length e.g. the wee bit the door opens into is included to make the room sound bigger than the usable area?
    It depends on the shape of the room. If the room is a rectangle you state is as such, you can't add the thickness of wall up to the door.

However, if the room is L-shaped, all the carpet area is included. One would measure across minor projections (columns), but not major ones. Alternatively an average could be given.

I susggest the following are reasonable for dimensions (but not areas) http://localhostr.com/files/217711/Room+dimensions.GIF I'm not an estate agent and they might have specific rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davidtutty1970

Would this Agent be affiliated to Remax or Ready-mix as I call them, as it sounds familiar to what I came across dealing with one of their agents. Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Would this Agent be affiliated to Remax or Ready-mix as I call them, as it sounds familiar to what I came across dealing with one of their agents. Dave

Most remax estate agents have no qualfications, other than they can pay their office fee every month so it would'ent be surprising

Advertisement