Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It was 20 years ago today...

Options
  • 11-05-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

...well, yesterday :lol:

Megadeth + Sanctuary in the Olympic Ballroom, 10th of May 1988, my first gig. Man I feel old. I remember Warrell Dane's hair being particularily impressive and Battle Angels, what a ****ing tune. I still have the bootleg from Megadeth's set. Ellefson played the intro to These Boots for a few minutes and that was what inspried me to play bass. Chuck Behler's drum solo was brilliant, he was a much better drummer than he was allowed be on the album. Jeff Young definitely looked all wrong but he was a great guitarist and Mustaine, well, he had balls back then. I remember the crowd going nuts for the whole thing, but especially for Anarchy... it was an eye opener for me as a kid. Moshing and ****ers flying through the air was all new to me but the ferocity of it was nuts. What's most noticeable from the tape is how much more vocal the crowds were back then, you always think things were better back in the day but, no, modern crowds are bleedin wussies. Fact. :pac:

The notorious Antrim Forum gig was the 11th, wasn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Afraid I'm a bit too young. Unfortunately I missed some of the best gigs, due to be being born slightly too late. Didn't start going to gigs until the early 90's.

Thankfully have managed to see almost every band I like over the years, so it's all worked out for me. Only big bands left to see are Manowar & Rammstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Doctor J wrote: »

Megadeth + Sanctuary in the Olympic Ballroom, 10th of May 1988, my first gig. Man I feel old. I remember Warrell Dane's hair being particularily impressive and Battle Angels, what a ****ing tune. I still have the bootleg from Megadeth's set. Ellefson played the intro to These Boots for a few minutes and that was what inspried me to play bass. Chuck Behler's drum solo was brilliant, he was a much better drummer than he was allowed be on the album. Jeff Young definitely looked all wrong but he was a great guitarist and Mustaine, well, he had balls back then. I remember the crowd going nuts for the whole thing, but especially for Anarchy... it was an eye opener for me as a kid. Moshing and ****ers flying through the air was all new to me but the ferocity of it was nuts. What's most noticeable from the tape is how much more vocal the crowds were back then, you always think things were better back in the day but, no, modern crowds are bleedin wussies. Fact. :pac:

I have in my hand at the moment said bootleg tape, I had to do a bit of digging to find it but yes the gig was the May 10th 1988 in the Olympic ballroom, I remember it well!! LOL Was an amazing gig alright, I remember some yahoo jumping off the balcony onto the crowd to surf, Everyone moved out of his way, the poor fcuker broke both his legs AFAIK!!!

Thinking about buying one of those USB tape decks to convert all my old Metal Bootlegs to Digital before the old tapes disintegrate! I so want to listen to other gigs from that year, Ozzy, Metallica in the top hat, great year 1988!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

I'm fairly certain I know this story but tell it again there wont you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Was it the Antrim Forum or Maysfield Leisure centre? But yeah, IIRC correctly it was the following night. And no, I wasn't at either gig...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

judas101 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain I know this story but tell it again there wont you....

Depending on who you hear it from, Mustaine said something along the lines of "This one is for the cause" or "Give Ireland back to the Irish" before they played Anarchy In The UK and got a little more anarchy than he bargained for, resulting in them having to be removed from the venue by the R.U.C. in an armoured bus.

Kids, don't do drugs, mmmmkay :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

It was 20 years ago today...

Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Depending on who you hear it from, Mustaine said something along the lines of "This one is for the cause" or "Give Ireland back to the Irish" before they played Anarchy In The UK and got a little more anarchy than he bargained for, resulting in them having to be removed from the venue by the R.U.C. in an armoured bus.

just to add my 2c to this but i remember years ago hearing an interview with mustaine, who went a little way to explaining it. i dont know what happened at the gig but the interview took place post rust in piece, and is about the song holy wars...

(paraphrasing, working from memory)

"we played in northern ireland and we discovered that some guys were selling bootleg tee shirts and we wanted to put a stop to it. we were told "no you cant, they're selling shirts for the cause" and i'm like, what the ****s the cause?" (actual response cos the way he says cause is halarious in mustaines accent)

...and the cause was explained to him. long story short he was amazed that bootleg deth shirts were funding "the cause" and it inspired him to write holy wars.

cant remember if they stopped the guys selling....man i'd love to hear that interview again, i think it was part of some limited edition single or something.

*edit* just found an interview where he explains it:

http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=397&Itemid=52
    8. What's the best story about you that you don't remember doing, but were told you did?
    The famous Antrim story about the IRA. I was drinking and someone said a person was selling bootleg t-shirts out in the audience. The only problem was they were shirts he was selling to raise money for "the cause." I did not know what "the cause" was, and some decent [seemingly] person told me that this big complicated problem with the Catholics and the Protestants is just prejudice religion. He said that I should let them sell the shirts. Once onstage, after four or five pints of Guinness lager, I introduced Anarchy and said, "Give Ireland back to the Irish, this one is for the cause, Anarchy in Ireland!" This did not go down as good as it did when Paul McCartney said it, let me tell you.
    We were then taken out of town in a bulletproof bus and David Ellefson was so pissed the next day he would not talk to me. I had no idea what I had done until he told me. Looking back it was funny, but being there, I guess it was not.

..so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

guinness lager:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

that was the last time a gig was played there, a lad died at that gig didn't he...
    he fell from the balcony.

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Smack down!!! I love that story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Megadeth + Sanctuary in the Olympic Ballroom, 10th of May 1988, my first gig. Man I feel old.

2 weeks before my Communion. :p:p:p

Doctor J, time to preserve the sh1t outta that corpse!

Rest of boards.ie: Its a personal joke. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shamowen

I was at that gig, my first gig too, I remember Dave saying both "this one is for the cause" and "give Ireland back to the Irish" . Half the crowd cheered and the other half booed. I remember someone through something at Dave, a coin I think and Dave took his guitar off, held it above his head and challenged the guy to come on stage. Oh and there were no balconies and no one died. Ps Sanctuary were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Haha, opened this thread thinking it was something to do with the Berlin Wall.
    Close enough I guess.

Opps a daisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭dasdog

This was my first gig also (aged 13). Someone jumped from something, I don't know if it was a balcony or what, and broke their legs but nobody died. As for Mustaine rallying up the crowd I remember the "Is this the IRA?" line from Anarchy getting a huge roar from the crowd. One of the best gigs I was ever at. I lost my audio bootleg somewhere along the way but I recently got a video from a tv broadcast of them playing in Germany 10 days after this show. What a fvking technically brilliant band. Far better than Metallica in Oct of the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

Wasn't at the megadeth gig but l saw Metallica in the old SFX hall with Cliff Burton on bass (only a couple of weeks before he died)
    Support on the night came from Anthrax, first thrash metal gig in lreland-1986!

CPL 593H

Advertisement