Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220 Swift

Options
  • 11-05-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Is the 220 Swift making a comeback ?

I ask because two of my local gun dealers have said to me recently that the sale of swifts has increased dramatically as has the amount of enquiries about them.

Or are Supers refusing 223's and granting swifts ?

Personally I have gone back to a swift from a 223 for fox shooting. It was my choice for the record as I had a 223 licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

is the 220 not louder,with more recoile?
    what advantages do you see over the 223, i always though it was only popular because we were limited in calibre?
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

IMO it's got a flatter trajectory and more retained power at longer distances (eg over 200 yards), bucks the wind better at longer ranges, quality ammo is cheaper than equivalent 223 ammo. I can get federal 52gr BTHP for €28 per 20, remmy accutip is currently €36 per 20.

Drawback it is louder, slightly more recoil, which I can live with for the benefits above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

My take on this bunny is that the 220 swift should have enjoyed much more use in ireland especially as it could be licenced quite easily , the thing that was off putting to most people was the ammo cost, dedicated foxhunters would use them but for lamping and zeroing only, there were very few people out rattling off rounds at targets cos it was simply to expensive for the average guy. The 223 gave hunters the opportunity to
    own a good varminting calibre that was easier on the pocket..so you could take a 223 and practise without emptying your wallet.
    I have often thought that if reloading were introduced this would really close the gap as the reloading costs are fairly close, the only difference really is in the amount of powder burned so a reloaded swift round is only
    20 cents or thereabouts more expensive than a 223.
    But with the relaxation in firearms licensing laws and other calibres easier to get { up my way anyway} then it would be more sensible to reload for a 22-250 0r 243 as they can be used for both deer and foxing , and the reloading costs are similar to the swift- and in real terms the 243 remington loaded with a 58 grain v max bullet is a flatter shooter than
    the swift over 400 yards.
    The 220 swift will always have its followers, im one of them but other factors always hold back its popularity..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

I've just ordered a .220 Swift. The ballistics are better than the .223
    (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R220S1*R223R1)
    The major disadvantage has always been the lack of ammo availability (Where do you gets yours, Bunny?)
    Also, the velocities heat the barrel faster, but if you leave the barrel for a while, and dont fire too many together, you should be fine..
    Also, the noise. If you're shooting something, surely everything close by if going to hear it? or is it that much louder?

I dont understand why you cant shoot deer with a swift, anyone?

Oh, bunny - What's the recoil like off it? not that it's a problem, it cant be more than a 12 bore/ .270, but just curious.

_Kar.

PS: info on swift- www.gunsandhunting.com/model700.html (actually a review of the Rem. VS-SF II, but has some nice info about the calibre.)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I'm considering purchasing one myself, solely as a foxing gun..... what's the reccommended make to buy? Then again, would I be as well off sticking with the .243 and using 58gr.?
    I've always had this thing for a swift though...... so if there's more people thinking like myself they probably are becoming more popular!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

IMO it's got a flatter trajectory and more retained power at longer distances (eg over 200 yards), bucks the wind better at longer ranges, quality ammo is cheaper than equivalent 223 ammo. I can get federal 52gr BTHP for €28 per 20, remmy accutip is currently €36 per 20.

Drawback it is louder, slightly more recoil, which I can live with for the benefits above.

Where do you get Federal ammo for 28euro?? I use the same but cannot get it cost 10 quid more:(

Hezz

Kareir wrote: »
    I've just ordered a .220 Swift. The ballistics are better than the .223
    (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R220S1*R223R1)
    The major disadvantage has always been the lack of ammo availability (Where do you gets yours, Bunny?)
    Also, the velocities heat the barrel faster, but if you leave the barrel for a while, and dont fire too many together, you should be fine..
    Also, the noise. If you're shooting something, surely everything close by if going to hear it? or is it that much louder?

I dont understand why you cant shoot deer with a swift, anyone?

Oh, bunny - What's the recoil like off it? not that it's a problem, it cant be more than a 12 bore/ .270, but just curious.

_Kar.

PS: info on swift- www.gunsandhunting.com/model700.html (actually a review of the Rem. VS-SF II, but has some nice info about the calibre.)

Federal, Paul O'Halloran, Drangan.
    Got Winchester Silvertips, Casale 2000, Cashel
    Hornady Stakelums, Urlingford
    I buy where I get the best deal

Recoil, not a problem, I have a remmy VSSF. Has a ruger sporter and that was fine too.

Good links !

E. Fudd wrote: »
    I'm considering purchasing one myself, solely as a foxing gun..... what's the reccommended make to buy? Then again, would I be as well off sticking with the .243 and using 58gr.?
    I've always had this thing for a swift though...... so if there's more people thinking like myself they probably are becoming more popular!

243 with 58 grain would be better ?

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Where do you get Federal ammo for 28euro?? I use the same but cannot get it cost 10 quid more:(

Hezz

Paul O'Halloran, Drangan

Advertisement