Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clarity Required

Options
  • 11-05-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to find out the answer to this but nobody seems to know :mad:

I have a full licence in category B, a car up to 3500kg. I got my licence in March 2007, using the theory test that I had completed in April 2005.

Now with the laws governing towing a trailer being enforced, I need to get an E+B licence.

My question is how do I go about this. I believe that what was called a provisional licence is now a permit. Can I apply for this using my existing theory test, bearing in mid that the test has been changed since I did it.

How long will the permit last for, is it one years or two?

If I have the permit, will I require an accompanying driver beside me when I tow a trailer?

Any help would be appreciated as my local tax office were most unhelpful :(

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I thought a Cat B licence allowed you to tow a trailer? Guess I'm no use to you then...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can I apply for this using my existing theory test, bearing in mid that the test has been changed since I did it
    Yes.
    How long will the permit last for, is it one years or two?
    2 years.
    If I have the permit, will I require an accompanying driver beside me when I tow a trailer?
    Yes, you will be required to be accompanied by a person with a Full E+B Licence and who have held that licence for a continuous period of at least 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

you need a special license to tow an ordinary trailer with an ordinary car these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

towel401 wrote: »
    you need a special license to tow an ordinary trailer with an ordinary car these days?
    It has always been the case but depends on the DGVW of the towing vehicle and trailer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement