Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esatbt upgrade?

Options
  • 11-05-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

i have read that eircom will be upgrading their existing 3mb to 6mb in june, does anyone know if esatbt have similar plans
    i am in limerick city and ntl/chorus have just entered the market and are offering 6mb 60gb d/l a month for the same price as esatbt who i am currently with with no great complaints but the extra bandwidth and usage has me thinking pretty seriously about making the jump

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The upgrade is supposed to be to 7.6 m/bit. Most of the DSL providers just resell Eircom products so they will all offer the upgrades at the exact same time as Eircom. NTL / Chorus 6m/bit would be just as fast as Eircom 7.6m/bit DSL because of ATM DSL overheads. If you can get rid of your phone line and it's cheaper over all it would probably be worth your while!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

thanks for the reply praetorian
    the caller said that ntl/chorus would offer phone calls as well, the contention rate with ntl will be 17:1 as opposed to 30:1 with esat and double the speed and double the d/l allowance. it has to include the telly as well but it looks the same as sky and i don't watch it anyway, so i just have to sell the idea to the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

No problem. Contention ratio isn't a real issue in Ireland on DSL so don't mind that. The extra download allowance could come in handy. It would be great to get rid of the line rental! Seriously what do we get for line rental? Some of us don't even get our very own dedicated line thats what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

expatoz wrote: »
    i have read that eircom will be upgrading their existing 3mb to 6mb in june, does anyone know if esatbt have similar plans
    i am in limerick city and ntl/chorus have just entered the market and are offering 6mb 60gb d/l a month for the same price as esatbt who i am currently with with no great complaints but the extra bandwidth and usage has me thinking pretty seriously about making the jump

Personally if i was you i'd wait till the upgrade to 7.6mb until you should consider changing. If its not broken don't fix it. NTL have a very bad reputation and you could regret it big time if your stuck in a 12 month contract.

Advertisement