Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to replace existing tap covers - help!

Options
  • 11-05-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I want to replace the tap covers on the taps on my bathroom basin. They are standard size fittings, I think. They work fine. No problems with drips etc. Just become tatty looking.

I have found replacement tap covers on various websites, but am not sure if I can replace these myself - or would I need a plumber (very expensive for such a small job!),

Anyone out there able to tell me how I could do this? Thanks.

Comments

I'm not sure what you mean by covers, but if you mean the circular tops red and blue, you can simply prise them off with a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I'm not sure what you mean by covers, but if you mean the circular tops red and blue, you can simply prise them off with a screwdriver.

Ours are "Westminster" plain white and about the size of a 20c coin and have either hot or cold written in larger writing, these just screw off or screw back on, whichever you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Sorry, not making myself clear. I mean the whole handle/twisty part of the tap. The bit you turn! (You can see that plumbing is not my area!!).

Basically the cap bits that you just either twist or click off (which often has a red or blue band around it)are badly scratched and I do not think you can buy them on their own. You need to buy replacement taps.

What I want to know is, is it easy to replace the tap handle bit or will I need to disconnect water etc.?

Thanks for responses so far.

Advertisement