Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test in left hand drive?

Options
  • 11-05-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

there was a thread about this years ago. don't know where it is gone. but are you allowed to do the test in a left hand drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

towel401 wrote: »
    there was a thread about this years ago. don't know where it is gone. but are you allowed to do the test in a left hand drive?

NO, it would be an automatic fail if you turned up in a LHD car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why the hell is that?

there are legitimate reasons for someone driving a LHD car so does that mean they can never pass their test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What reasons would someone have for driving a left hand drive car when we drive on the left?

They can get a correct car for Irish roads, then pass their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cremo wrote: »
    there are legitimate reasons for someone driving a LHD car so does that mean they can never pass their test?

I have to disagree, what situations? I mean if you're going to be staying in Ireland for long enough that you must take a driving test, you should be driving a right hand drive car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I would imagine if the car is properly, taxed, insured and nct'd then it wouldn't be a problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my dad's friend lost his left arm, after he passed his test. what would happen if he hadn't passed his test before his accident?

he had a prostetic arm but he found he couldn't changed gears efficently enough. he got a LHD so that he could change gears with his right arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Cremo wrote: »
    my dad's friend lost his left arm, after he passed his test. what would happen if he hadn't passed his test before his accident?

he had a prostetic arm but he found he couldn't changed gears efficently enough. he got a LHD so that he could change gears with his right arm.
    Wouldn't it be easier for him to get an automatic? Either left or right hand drive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Holsten wrote: »
    What reasons would someone have for driving a left hand drive car when we drive on the left?

They can get a correct car for Irish roads, then pass their test.

Lot of Foreigners come over here to work and bring there car with them with intentions of going back home why would they bother to change.

I work for a large multinational and half the carpark is LHD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I have to disagree, what situations? I mean if you're going to be staying in Ireland for long enough that you must take a driving test, you should be driving a right hand drive car.

back in the 80's you were allowed to do your test in a left hand drive, but the [SNIP] are after changing it. they change a few things every year to make driving / getting a license harder, and they will continue to do so.

i'm surprised they havn't banned the LHD altogether, because thats something they would do. I happen to prefer the lhd and i'm used to driving one but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

are you allowed to do the test in a left hand drive?
    you were allowed to do your test in a left hand drive, but the [SNIP] are after changing it

Are you answering your own question?

• Advertisement

no the first guy who replied did :pac:

<SNIP>

Try that again towel401 and you can take a break for a couple of weeks. If you are unhappy with the modding on this forum, take it to the Feedback Forum

AFAIK there is no restriction on which side the steering wheel is. The vehicle however must be registered in Ireland and be taxed, insured and have NCT/DOE if applicable. It must be in a roadworthy condition.

For a category B test, the vehicle must have 4 wheels, passenger accomodation for not more than 8 persons and have a DGVW of not more than 3,500kgs.

Bear in mind lads that some cars and other vehicles are not available in RHD.

Lot of Foreigners come over here to work and bring there car with them with intentions of going back home why would they bother to change.

I work for a large multinational and half the carpark is LHD
    They would not be permitted to do a driving test here in a foreign registered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Eitherways, you'd be just making it harder on yourself - so why bother?

Zulu wrote: »
    Eitherways, you'd be just making it harder on yourself - so why bother?

the car I have is a left hand drive. i'm used to driving it now and i drive it better than the damn school car. i know in theory i should be able to drive any car at any time but i'd rather do the test in something i'm used to driving. i sent them an email .. just to be sure. will post back here when they reply.

i sent them an email .. just to be sure. will post back here when they reply.
    I sent them an email also but no reply yet even though I'm 99% sure that there would be no problem with doing a test in a LHD vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

From Standard Procedure for Conducting Driving Tests - Practical Part of the Test
    Hand Signals

After the reverse or turnabout manoeuvre ask the applicant to lower the window in order to demonstrate hand signals. The demonstration should include the five hand signals from the 'Rules Of The Road'. On completion, tell the applicant to readjust the window as they wish. Where the driver's window will not wind down, or in wet weather, hand signals may be demonstrated in the vehicle. This also applies to vehicles with left-hand-drive.

So, left hand drive vehicles are acceptable.

Only type of vehicle I can find that they will not conduct a test in is
    Tests should not be conducted with tricycle or quadricycle 'ATV' type vehicles - (disabled candidates only).

Which is a shame. There are a few examiners would love to see on the back of an ATV

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

From Standard Procedure for Conducting Driving Tests - Practical Part of the Test

So, left hand drive vehicles are acceptable.

Only type of vehicle I can find that they will not conduct a test in is

Which is a shame. There are a few examiners would love to see on the back of an ATV

awsoem.

@wishbone - they havn't replied to me either. which is bad form. so I'll try calling them. i need to be 100% sure. test is in a few weeks and my driving of the damned school car isn`t too good at all. the instructor already thinks i'm going to crash it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Yes, can do the test in a left hand drive car. Provided nct'd etc.

Why did your instructor not drop into the test center and simply ask the examiners ??

Advertisement