Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting new plaster - help!

Options
  • 11-05-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

I recently plastered my master bedroom with a one coat plaster (about a 5mm layer over plasterboard). It was left to dry for 8 days. I thinned down some crown matt white emulsion 50:50 with water to prime the surface and left it to dry overnight. Today I started painting with some Homebase matt emulsion (magnolia) and the roller was peeling off strips of the primer.
    What's going wrong here? Should I have left the plaster to dry longer and will I have to sand down the primer coat now, wait for the plaster to dry more and then try again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You have adhesion problems with the first coat for some reason, possibly because the plaster wasn't fully dried or perhaps because your primer wasn't dry, or maybe the water from the primer, soaked into the plaster layer and is still a bit damp...is it that same type of stuff they use to float walls in timerframe houses? Like gyproc joint filler or similar? It can be a problem to get paints to take to this stuff sometimes...it's very dry and chalky unlike skimcoat.

The problem might be the homebase paint, or it could be your rolling technique (if you're going over the same area too many times, or possibly too heavy a coat).
    Truth is this happens to me and to other decorators some times, usually with pollyfilla ptaches and it can really get on your nerves...if it's only happening in a few spots then I tend to hit those parts with a brush and run a dry roller over them quickly to match it in, then wait for the whole lot to dry for as long as possible, sand down and apply my next coat.
    Should I have left the plaster to dry longer and will I have to sand down the primer coat now, wait for the plaster to dry more and then try again?
    That's about the height of it. I would advise sanding it down before priming or any subsequent coat. You don't have to go mad, just a quick rub of a sanding pad or a well worn piece of sandpaper (it'll scratch it otherwsie).
    It's decent weather ATM...leave the b'room to air for another few days then try it again...no point in rushing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Thanks for the reply. It is very chalky - probably due to it being my first attempt - I may have over trowelled it a bit to get it smooth.
    I'll give it a few days and try again after a light sand.

Advertisement