Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Works in Killeagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

dutchy15 wrote: »
    One small street takes this long. Ridiculous

There is a hell of a lot of work to be done in fairness. Anyway here's an update:

UPDATE ON KILLEAGH VILLAGE ROADWORKS FROM NOW TILL THE EXPECTED FINISH DATE

With respect of the works which are ongoing on the N25 through Killeagh Village the following programme outlines the sequence of works, subsequent parking restrictions and traffic management arrangements until substantial completion. It is anticipated that the works will be substantially complete by the 30th of June nonetheless it should be noted that given the complex & sensitive nature of these works, delays may be encountered and this date and the dates outlined below may be subject to change.
    Village Centre – Footpath Works:
    It is anticipated that the footpath works in the village centre i.e. from the bridge to the Mogeely Junction will be complete by the 09th of June.
    24th April – 12th May
    Footpath paving works on the southern footpaths i.e. Londis side of the road in the village centre side will be completed during this period.
    12th May – 09th June
    Footpath works on the northern footpaths i.e. Centra Side of the road in the village centre will be completed during this period.
    12th – 28th June
    Footpaths and pedestrian crossing works at the Thatch pub junction will be undertaken during this period.
    Parking:
    In the village centre parking will be restricted adjacent to the works on a rolling basis for both carriageways as the works progress. As works are completed parking bays will be restored.
    Pavement rehabilitation, Storm Drainage & Footpath works:
    24th April to 19th May:
    Bulk excavation and reconstruction of the East and West bound Carriageway from the Bridge over the River Dissour to a point approximately 300m East.
    22nd May to 09th June:
    It is anticipated that the Kerbing and footpath works from the Bridge over the River Dissour to a point approximately 300m East will be undertaken during this period.
    Traffic Management.
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0630hrs to 1930hrs. Additional VMS (Variable Message Signs) have been erected on both approaches to the village informing motorists of the expecting queuing times. A traffic light system will be in operation during night time hours.
    Two-way traffic will be maintained over the May Bank Holiday Week end.
    Flag men will be in operation over the week end of the 06th and 07th of May. However, it is anticipated that after this date two-way traffic will be maintained at weekends until project completion.
    Ancillary Works: Landscaping / public Lighting / Signing and lining.
    09th to 30th of June
    It is anticipated that the planting and landscaping works including street furniture will complete in June. The new public columns will be erected and all signage and lining undertaken.
    Final Surface Course:
    The Final wearing course will be laid during the final two weeks of June.
    Pedestrian Access:
    Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times to both Business’ and private dwellings.
    Deliveries to Businesses:
    Deliveries to shops and businesses will be accommodated at all times during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dutchy15

Beyond angry with that update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

There was official update on Facebook page....

They don't even seem 100% certain it will be done by then....The whole thing is a bit of a farce now...

Beyond angry with that update

Why? Have you an actual workable solution to get it done faster? Have you contacted the company to voice your concerns? I'm no fan of roadworks believe me but this has to be done right. There is no point in doing a half arsed job and then having it to be redone again in six months which is the way stuff like this was handled in the past. As I've said there is an alternative route from Youghal side of Killeagh to Castlemartyr if you want avoid the works.
    The people of Buttevant (and the people passing through it) are happy to have suffered the inconvenience it took to complete their works for the proper condition of the place now

mordeith wrote: »
    Why? Have you an actual workable solution to get it done faster? Have you contacted the company to voice your concerns? I'm no fan of roadworks believe me but this has to be done right. There is no point in doing a half arsed job and then having it to be redone again in six months which is the way stuff like this was handled in the past. As I've said there is an alternative route from Youghal side of Killeagh to Castlemartyr if you want avoid the works.
    The people of Buttevant (and the people passing through it) are happy to have suffered the inconvenience it took to complete their works for the proper condition of the place now

The alternative route is not a safe road and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
    A workable solution would be to meet the targets they claimed they would when they won the contract. A. Month over is simply not good enough. They can do it on time without doing a half arsed job as you call it.

The solution is for them to be sanctioned to work overtime to get the work done ASAP.

Also the time and money should have been spent on a bypass.

As for buttevant I pass through there from time to time. I disagree. That job was a total disaster and not worth the stress and inconvenience it caused. Again the town should have been bypassed by the planned motorway linking Cork and limerick which the government refuse to fund in order to prioritise infrastructure in Dublin is up to scratch.

• Advertisement

The alternative route is not a safe road and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Well that's your call of course.
    A workable solution would be to meet the targets they claimed they would when they won the contract. A. Month over is simply not good enough. They can do it on time without doing a half arsed job as you call it.
    No road works are ever held to a timeframe they claim for in a tender because you can't budget for delays due to archaeology or unexpected geological issues. There is also the fact that the electricity network, water supply and telecommunications need to be addressed at the same time and you are looking at three separate entities there so delays can't be all levelled at the road contractors.
    The solution is for them to be sanctioned to work overtime to get the work done ASAP.
    As I've said before that would completely erode their tender.
    Also the time and money should have been spent on a bypass.
    While this would of course be the optimum solution, I spoke to David Stanton before the last election and he said straight out that the money just wasn't going to be given for that project. What's happening now is the best we were going to get
    As for buttevant I pass through there from time to time. I disagree. That job was a total disaster and not worth the stress and inconvenience it caused.

Are you saying the place should have left like it was? The road didn't have a single section of remotely level surface and the footpaths were buckling everywhere.
    Again the town should have been bypassed by the planned motorway linking Cork and limerick which the government refuse to fund in order to prioritise infrastructure in Dublin is up to scratch.

Again this wold have been preferential but there's no point in flogging that as there is still no definitive move on starting that project.

It's a nightmare right now. Massive delays. disaster of job gets even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

This week is even worse than ever.

jontr wrote: »
    This week is even worse than ever.

I'm Hoping things will improve a lot once they finish the road surface on East Side of town. Digging up the road surely all done now

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

CORK: A stop/go system is in place for works at Killeagh on the N25 Cork/Waterford Rd until Fri 30th June.

Only 5 weeks to go

• Advertisement

And thats something to look forward to but they were supposed to be finished already.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

It seems to be better this week (fingers crossed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

CORK: A stop/go system is in place for works at Killeagh on the N25 Cork/Waterford Rd until Fri 30th June.

Only 5 weeks to go

Has the the stop/go system not always being there? Or am I misunderstanding?

Just came through 20 mins - I just haven't a clue what they are up too really....10 minute delay which isn't the worse - it's just driving through I am thinking the whole time looking around 'What the hell is going on? What they delay?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

jontr wrote: »
    It seems to be better this week (fingers crossed)

It's the hope that kills ya :D:D

Let me preface this by saying I heard this from a guy who was taking to another guy (albeit one of the lads operating the stop/go signs).
    Apparently from this weekend the main road crew won't be present for a couple of weeks so should be two way traffic. The pavers will still be working on the paths. Of course this doesn't mean that the esb or eircom or whoever won't cause other issues if they are doing work in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Latest Update from Facebook

"Breaking news we have 2 way SYSTEM in killeagh for next 2-3 & apparently & while the final surface is being put on also , please spread the word & don't forget to Shop local & support all local businesses at this time when you can , they all really appreciate it , Also we have had reports of dangerous driving in back roads towards Burgess There's a lot more using that road now because of road closure at The Thatch so please be careful & mindful of other road users & there are horses & lots of machinery on that road too so slow down & be careful, thanks ..."

Dear God. Will it ever end. 2 months over already. They have nothing for last few weeks now we have stop go system again. Contractors should be embarrassed with the job

Just back after 2 weeks holidays yesterday, thought it would be finished.
    Went through Killeagh Monday morning no problem, not finished but surely not much to do.
    Sailed through Castlemartyr on way home, great, then hit the traffic. As bad as it was when the road was dug up. Same again today and the traffic lights are back in the morning.

End of March, ah sorry... end of May, further apologies end of June. I take it that it's now the end of July?

I was talking to a lad working there and he said they hoped to be finished in time for builders holidays the first 2 weeks of August.

I was talking to a lad working there and he said they hoped to be finished in time for builders holidays the first 2 weeks of August.

Oh my god. What a disaster.6 more weeks. If they got sufficient staff working full days for 2 weeks they could get it finished if the will was there. One god dam street takes this long. Madness

• Advertisement

Oh my god. What a disaster.6 more weeks. If they got sufficient staff working full days for 2 weeks they could get it finished if the will was there. One god dam street takes this long. Madness

More staff won't make any difference as you can only have so many people working in one place at one time. The only way to do that would be to close the street completely. At this stage it looks like eircom/esb are holding things up because they haven't buried most of the existing cables underground yet. My understanding was this to be completed while the contractors were off site for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What are the delays like through it at the weekend these days? Planning on passing through on Saturday morning (heading east) and in early afternoon (heading back west).

Bacchus wrote: »
    What are the delays like through it at the weekend these days? Planning on passing through on Saturday morning (heading east) and in early afternoon (heading back west).

I don't think there are any stoppages at the weekends but you'd never know.

• Moderators Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Passed through last weekend at 12.30 and there were maybe 3 lads I could see working (2 were just turning lollipop signs). Google says we waited about 10 minutes:
    421644.png

Heading back on Sunday afternoon we didn't stop at all.

mordeith wrote: »
    More staff won't make any difference as you can only have so many people working in one place at one time. The only way to do that would be to close the street completely. At this stage it looks like eircom/esb are holding things up because they haven't buried most of the existing cables underground yet. My understanding was this to be completed while the contractors were off site for the last few weeks.

You so you can only have so many people. They had nobody for weeks and there was loads of work that could have been done. As it stands now they have half the staff they had at the start making it a very slow job. It appears to have been an extremely poorly managed job for so so many reasons. The could be finished in a week if they upped staff numbers and hours but no they will continue on inconveniencing the public. Town should have been bypassed in first place. I will intentionally never stop in Killeagh and contribute to the local economy such is the frustration it has caused me for 8 months and counting

You so you can only have so many people. They had nobody for weeks and there was loads of work that could have been done. As it stands now they have half the staff they had at the start making it a very slow job. It appears to have been an extremely poorly managed job for so so many reasons. The could be finished in a week if they upped staff numbers and hours but no they will continue on inconveniencing the public. Town should have been bypassed in first place. I will intentionally never stop in Killeagh and contribute to the local economy such is the frustration it has caused me for 8 months and counting

Its not the locals fault I bet they are taking it worse then anybody passing through.

Its not the locals fault I bet they are taking it worse then anybody passing through.

Yeah true it's not. I know it must be annoying for them too. I'm just so angry about the whole thing and feel there should be some accountability. It's our taxes paying for these works and its a disgrace what has gone on and is still going on

Yeah true it's not. I know it must be annoying for them too. I'm just so angry about the whole thing and feel there should be some accountability. It's our taxes paying for these works and its a disgrace what has gone on and is still going on

Does anyone know of a local politician in the area who one could contact a out this?

Does anyone know of a local politician in the area who one could contact a out this?

David Stanton is the TD for the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Last Nights Update on Killeagh Facebook

UPDATE ON KILLEAGH ROADWORKS FOR COMING WEEKS TILL END , THANKS CCLR MARY LINEHAN FOLEY
    With respect of the works which are ongoing on the N25 through Killeagh Village the following programme outlines the sequence of works and traffic management arrangements until project completion. Unfortunately due to a resourcing issue the project has been delayed from the end of June date and it is now anticipated that the works will be substantially complete by the 11th of August. Nonetheless it should be noted that given the complex & sensitive nature of these works, delays may be encountered and the dates outlined below may be subject to change.
    Programme of Works:
    Thatch Pub junction to the Railway Bridge:
    06th to 14th of July
    The remaining paving works in the village centre will be competed as far as and including the Thatch pub junction with the N25. In addition all snagging items over this section that require traffic management will be undertaken during this period.
    Youghal Side of the Dissour Bridge.
    17th to 21st of July
    The remaining footpath and watermain works will be completed on the Youghal side of bridge. In addition all snagging items over this section will be undertaken during this period.
    Western side of Railway Bridge:
    24th to 28th of July
    An additional 300m of pavement overlay on the Western side of the Railway bridge has been approved by the TII. This work is additional to the original scope of works as this section has deteriorated further inthe past year. Preparatory works will be completed during this week which will include the planning of the existing surface and laying of the base and Binder courses.
    01st to 11th of August.
    The final surface course over the extent of the works will be laid during this period.
    Traffic Management.
    05th July to the 14th of July.
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0700hrs to 1900hrs. As the snagging items and sections of work are completed that length of Traffic Management system in operation will be reduced thus reducing the queuing lengths. Two way traffic will be in operation from 1900hrs to 0700hrs
    17th to 21st of July
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0700hrs to 1900hrs. The traffic management system will be in operation on the eastern side of Fitzgibbons garage and we will endeavour to reduce the length of the system to a minimum in order to minimise the delays. Two way traffic will be in operation from 1900hrs to 0700hrs
    24th to 28th of June
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0630hrs to 1930hrs. A Traffic light system will be in operation from 1930hrs to 0630hrs
    01st to 11th of August.
    During week days Flagmen will now be operation from 0630hrs to 1930hrs. A Traffic light system will be in operation from 1930hrs to 0630hrs. It should be noted that there are a number of pinch points that will require a 10 minute all stop system to be enforced in order for the final surface course to be laid. These will be programmed to be undertaken at off peak times however long delays may be expected.
    Two-way traffic will be maintained at weekends until project completion.
    Ancillary Works: Landscaping / Street Furniture
    14th – 18th August
    It is anticipated that the planting and landscaping works including street furniture will completed during this week. There will be very limited traffic management required for these works.
    Pedestrian Access:
    Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times to both Business’ and private dwellings.
    Deliveries to Businesses:
    Deliveries to shops and businesses will be accommodated at all times during construction.
    Should you have any question please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Regards,
    Eoin Bennett BE MIEI

Advertisement