Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Bank

Options
  • 11-05-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Anybody been in there yet?
    Whats it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Over 21's and its not all opened. I heard it was crap. Apparently he wanted a tunnel built from the bank across the road to the Hibernian, planning permission said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

I don't think Plug's informant will be winning any awards for good taste in the near future. The Left Bank is in fact very pleasant. High ceiling, plenty of room. A kind of a cross between upstairs in Morrisson's and the Hibernian.

Only thing is, I suspect it'll be taking much of its clientele from the Hibernian, which will surely defeat the purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dodgerkk

I have to say that I really like it (tastefully done) and I don't think it will pull from the Hibernian. Obviously it will initially as people will want to check it out, but the Hibernian is all about comfort and there's hardly ever music playing whereas the Left Bank has music playing and it seems to be less confortable than the Hibernian.

I know that come December, I'll be in the Hibernian sitting near the fire and Christmas tree! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

Purry Cat wrote: »
    I don't think Plug's informant will be winning any awards for good taste in the near future. The Left Bank is in fact very pleasant. High ceiling, plenty of room. A kind of a cross between upstairs in Morrisson's and the Hibernian.

it's a1+ i love it cant wait until it all opened:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

with the bouncers on the doors in suits im guessing its a strict dress code policy is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Left Bank?

I assume it's the old Bank Of Ireland on the Parade (not been home in a few weeks)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mick_irl wrote: »
    Left Bank?

I assume it's the old Bank Of Ireland on the Parade (not been home in a few weeks)?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ah it's opened early so. I was told before it wasn't due open until the weekend of the Cat Laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

Overall I'd say it's like a bigger and cheaper version of the Hibernian (and given how rich looking the Hibernian building is, that's not an insult).

I popped in last night (Monday) for a drink and it's quite nice. However, as one person pointed out, despite the massive effort and money put into it, it looks like they got the artwork and paintings from Woodies DIY.

Also, personally, I'm not a fan of bars with high ceilings. So while there was plenty of little nooks and private areas, it didn't feel cosy. However we still have the upstairs to come (in about a month when they have a full compliment of staff trained in) and the smoking area too (which I told is something special).
    Plus they definitely don't want a teeny-boppers crowd so I'd say the bouncers will be more strict on age than clothes.

I was a big fan of Carpe Diem until the Hibernian and Left Bank owner sold it (it's still the same building but not the same buzz) so I was looking forward to the Left Bank. The high ceilings have put me off for now but we'll see how things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dogerster

eh most of the art work is from local artists, :o some from when 12 artists had an exhibition in the bank. I think it great to support local artists. I really like the left bank I can t beguin to imagine how much work went into it and I have been the 3 times already lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bigmurt

I'm not keen on the muddy brown colour of the place , but on the whole it's fine . the main bar is nice and airy . but he should have done more to differentiate the smaller bars , give them a slightly different look .

It'll be interesting to see how it beds down and what type of crowd it's getting in a month or two . :) It's sort of licorice all sorts at the moment .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

i actualy popped in the other day. i liked it nice decor but the staff looked really tired and were a little snappy for my liking. It was different to go up in a lift to get to the toilets but the view was cool looking out over the parade. i am sure when they do food it will be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 warrenstown

dogerster wrote: »
    eh most of the art work is from local artists, :o some from when 12 artists had an exhibition in the bank.

Local artists? Fair play, it's a nice touch but I mustn't have seen those pictures. The painting I saw was behind the bar that's located straight in front of the front door. There is also art work of a similar style up along the wood panelling by the large windows on the side. It's kind of bland stuff, I hope this isn't our local effort, it really does remind me of the stuff you'd see in Woodies!

But it's only a small aspect of the overall pub which is only 1/3 open. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a nice alternative to Langtons front bar which can be a nice spot to meet when it's not jam-packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Haven't been in yet but silly name and cheap signage looks poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Brian Cowen was in there this evening with a host of other FF'ers

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bigmurt

was in there tonight .

one barman told me he worked over 120 hrs last week - no wonder they look tired ! :p

as for art work - the ground floor has assorted stuff ( much of it france themed ) that gerry picked up at various times . a barman said there's other stuff that will be used on the other floors that may be kk work .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

mfitzy wrote: »
    Haven't been in yet but silly name and cheap signage looks poor

have to agree. I thought they'd done a nice job cleaning up the front and the windows they put in were in keeping with the style of the building and then they stuck those tacky cheap looking signs up - hoping they are just temp jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

was in there last friday i think it was? It was packed couldn't move at all... the place looked nice alright though, or maybe my judgement was being distorted by all the pretty ladys I can't remember... I'll be staying away on the busy nights but will give it another chance in another month or two..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

ztoical wrote: »
    have to agree. I thought they'd done a nice job cleaning up the front and the windows they put in were in keeping with the style of the building and then they stuck those tacky cheap looking signs up - hoping they are just temp jobs.

Cheap looking signage? Are you nuts? There's nothing cheap about the signs. And the lettering is meant to look French.

I heard its gone to over 23's is this true? And also you can't have your tattoos visible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I was there Monday afternoon, and must say I was impressed with the amount of work done and with the character and style of the building. The top two floors have alot of work to do but I'ts going to be a huge pub.#

I like the high ceilings and the length of bars around the place plus the two different entrances.

Didn't like the 3rd floor toilet(even if you had a view of the taxi rank) and the dark stairs up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I heard that story about the tattoos alright. And that lads can't wear t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baby bear

its not over 21's,im 19 and i was in there on sunday night!!!i found it like a maze when it came in terms to finding the toilets,and then once i reached them the que was like the que fof the bathrooms in langtons!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i heard whispers were opening a second kilkenny outlet beside the Left Bank, i think they are calling it the Gaza Strip!

^^that was a joke told at the cat laughs.

I was in there last night and tbh, it'll be my last visit. Too many people packed in there, I couldnt hear myself think. Lots of pretentious ar$eholes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Nightwish wrote: »
    ^^that was a joke told at the cat laughs.

I was in there last night and tbh, it'll be my last visit. Too many people packed in there, I couldnt hear myself think. Lots of pretentious ar$eholes too.

I was there last night :p

It was fairly busy alright but it took a while to pack up.
    It's a long way to the top toilets if you don't use the elevator, which I found out last night... And to save everyone the hassle there is a bathroom on the first floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yeahyeahitsted

Id have to advise all to avoid it. I was in there last Friday with friends and was removed by a small bouncer suffering "small angry man syndrome" for simply talking to my girlfriend. Its over priced, the crowds definitely exceed the fire safety cert and the walk to the toilets would have you exhausted all in all i wouldn’t be going back there to waste money in it

I was there last night :p

As long as you weren't the guy who molested me on the way out! I punched him :pac:

Id have to advise all to avoid it. I was in there last Friday with friends and was removed by a small bouncer suffering "small angry man syndrome" for simply talking to my girlfriend. Its over priced, the crowds definitely exceed the fire safety cert and the walk to the toilets would have you exhausted all in all i wouldn’t be going back there to waste money in it
    Im sure you wern't asked to leave because you your talking, thats just stupid.
    you didn't molest nightwish by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Nightwish wrote: »
    As long as you weren't the guy who molested me on the way out! I punched him :pac:
    Plug wrote: »
    you didn't molest nightwish by any chance?

Ha! :D
    It wasn't me! Swear to SIZE="1"]Insert religious deity of choice here[/SIZE God!:)

Advertisement