Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ntl broadband lite?

• 11-05-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Howdy.
    I have NTL broadband lite 4mb with a 20gb download cap/month.
    I was contacted by them regarding overdoing the auld downloading. I'll be fair, I was. But I asked if the Xbox LIVE was affecting this and I was told, "ntl broadband lite is for checking emails and booking flights, etc, NOT FOR GAMING". Is this true or are they trying to con me out of some money?

I've had no lag and the ping tests are grand. Any ideas, anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

In my house we often have a problem with the download limit and we monitered xbox live for a few days and its really dosent add that much to it.

They are tryin to con you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Net Neutrality anyone?

I think its a bit rich of them to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do over your connection providing it follows laws of the land etc. The line I'm sure states "Internet" and not only "http/websites" which is just one tiny part of the internet. Does the Terms & Conditions or agreement state in any way that you are forbidden to game over the connection?

A lot of people are using NTL/UPC for Xbox Live so you would not be alone in using it for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Its just another crap customer service person trying to get you off the phone.

Either that or a sales person trying to get you to move up a package.

You should feel free to go to town on such a person since they aren't interested in doing their job.

I can't believe they'd say that instead of just saying you went over the cap and its upto you to monitor your usage.

This is a clear case of you went over the cap but there is no way to monitor the cap, you should point that out too and say you'll gladly obey the cap once they tell you how much you've used in realtime or close to it. Since you can't factor in Xbox Live usage using software on a Pc, your dependant on them giving you a way to monitor usage. Since they haven't, you can't and it is really their responibility if they give you a cap, to give you a way to monitor how much they consider that you have used this month.

At the moment, they seem to think its fair to expect their customers to magically determine their usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I got a letter like that awhile ago it actually said "for the sake of your neighbours who use NTL try to keep within the download limit so they dont have slower speeds"

I have been downloading some load but I just laughed at the way they put it!

Also 4mb is not something I would call "lite" serioulsy like 4mb for booking flights etc more like 1mb is fine for that suppose you could always upgrade if it wasn't that much more be worth it for the extra speed..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Thanks lads.

Brim4Brim, that's a very good point. There was no way of knowing I was over the limit. You'd want to be some mathematician to work out what you've uploaded in a month! I'll have to make note of them points incase they contact me again!

I've paid for the year ahead of time, as I knew I'd be a bit strapped for cash later on, so upgrading wouldn't really be an easy option, but I see you point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement