Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dubs in accomodation

Options
  • 11-05-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

i hear the accomodation for ucd is based on distance... would there be any chance a dub would get in then? i live in walkinstown in the south west and it would be awkward for me to get to ucd. i want to get the full college experience as well so moving to ucd would be great :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

conbob wrote: »
    i hear the accomodation for ucd is based on distance... would there be any chance a dub would get in then? i live in walkinstown in the south west and it would be awkward for me to get to ucd. i want to get the full college experience as well so moving to ucd would be great :pac:

Get the 17 from the Submarine straight into UCD.
    If you're in Walkinstown you can't be more than a 20 minute walk to the Sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

Zamboni wrote: »
    Get the 17 from the Submarine straight into UCD.
    If you're in Walkinstown you can't be more than a 20 minute walk to the Sub?

heard the 17s a bit hit and miss off my mates brother who goes to ucd....whenever he's out at night he gets a lift home off his da so on campus is the best option i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Yeah the 17 is not an ideal service to say the least.
    But it is good in the early morning.

I wouldn't count on accomodation on UCD from the allocation policy.

Distance from home to UCD will be the most significant criterion when evaluating applications.

http://www.ucd.ie/residences/allocation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Absolutely no chance coming from Dublin (a lot of places in Leinster are pushing it) unless:
    i) You get a scholarship.
    ii) You speak fluent Irish and can demonstrate in an interview how you will contribute to the use of Irish on campus.
    iii) You become the auditor of a society.

Sorry! :( On the plus side, 2nd years don't tend to get campus accommodation anyway, so after a year of getting to know people you can rent somewhere with your mates from further afield, who'll all be getting places.

thanks for the responses everyone
    Breezer wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance coming from Dublin (a lot of places in Leinster are pushing it) unless:
    i) You get a scholarship.
    ii) You speak fluent Irish and can demonstrate in an interview how you will contribute to the use of Irish on campus.
    iii) You become the auditor of a society.

Sorry! :( On the plus side, 2nd years don't tend to get campus accommodation anyway, so after a year of getting to know people you can rent somewhere with your mates from further afield, who'll all be getting places.

no worries. ye renting in second year sounds cool. could be an auditor but i'd need some experience. i'd rather drink than do the books anyway :p better get craicin on the auld irish then haha :)

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    Wait auditors can get on campus accommodation?

I'm intrigued
    Yep, no idea where to find the details and my mind is somewhere else (guess where) this week so not looking it up, but my friend from Dublin's been living in Merville all year because she was an auditor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There's a number of places on campus for contribution to student life.

Students interested in applying under this category should apply as normal through the UCD Accommodation Office and copy the application to Dr. Martin Butler, Vice President for Students, UCD, detailing the grounds upon which the student is making the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My friends from Cabra and Sandyford were both living on campus so it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Tis possible alright. I got campus in first year and Im from Naas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

auditors get campus if they are in charge of a big society.

only 6 auditors got campus this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You do know Naas is in Kildare right? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

They dont have to be in charge of a "big" society. There is alot of competition between Auditors to get places, becuase you are Auditor of a bigger one does not mean you will get preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bowden

I live close enough to you me thinks and I'll be driving after the summer :)

Bowden wrote: »
    I live close enough to you me thinks and I'll be driving after the summer :)

thats my secondy choice...but i cant sleep in my car overnight after a drink or i'll be vewwy sore when i wake up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I know a few lads from Tallaght, a guy from Greystones and a girl from Delgany who got campus for a few years running. It's possible, though I imagine you might need to work the system a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It all depends on who you know. Regardless of where you're from. The only people who can almost guarantee to get campus without having to be underhand are postgrads. It really sickens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

Má tá suim agat áit á fháil sa scéim cónaithe tá níos mó eolas ar fáil ar http://www.ucd.ie/bnag

If you're interested in getting a place on the Irish Residence scheme you can get info at http://www.ucd.ie/bnag

....then again hundreds of people apply and only 8 first years get spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Brimmy wrote: »
    You do know Naas is in Kildare right? :confused:

crap...really?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 slevins

So considering I speak fluent Gaeilge, I should be able to get on campus accomodation? By the way I live in closkeagh!:D

slevins wrote: »
    So considering I speak fluent Gaeilge, I should be able to get on campus accomodation? By the way I live in closkeagh!:D
    Technically yes but you'd have to impress them in an interview and then pay half of it anyway. And yes, some people may be a little annoyed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You might also get banned from the UCD forum by the moderator from Co. Wexford who has to hunt for accomodation...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

only 6 auditors got campus this year!

RUBBISH! My friends auditor of a society which probably has a total of 40 members and he's on campus

slevins wrote: »

If you're the S Levins I know you shouldn't have fluent Irish! Also the interviews are tomorrow so it's actually too late to apply for next year. And trust me the interviews are pretty hard- I don't know if i'll even get it and my username is Tá mé Gaeilge!!:)

If you're the S Levins I know you shouldn't have fluent Irish! Also the interviews are tomorrow so it's actually too late to apply for next year. And trust me the interviews are pretty hard- I don't know if i'll even get it and my username is Tá mé Gaeilge!!:)
    Is Gaeilge thú! :p Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Wait a minute, if you speak fluent Irish and can prove you'll contribute to its use you get preferential treatment? That's horrible! They can't discriminate like that. I speak a national language fluently (English, btw) and can use it to contribute to college life, but I don't expect special treatment.

theozster wrote: »
    Wait a minute, if you speak fluent Irish and can prove you'll contribute to its use you get preferential treatment? That's horrible! They can't discriminate like that. I speak a national language fluently (English, btw) and can use it to contribute to college life, but I don't expect special treatment.

Oh lord I see where this is going.

It's not discrimination! 16 People live in a house and only speak Irish for the year as part of a scolarship- they have a duty to promote the Irish language around campus and the first years even take a module to this affect.

They organise and help out at events throughout the year with Bord na Gaeilge, An Cumann Gaelach, An Cumann Dramaiocht, Oifigeach na Gaeilge Aontas na Mac Léinn and they help organise Seachtain na Gaeilge.

It's just like a sports scolarship but instead of being good at sport and promoting sport in UCD they are being good at and promoting our language. It's part of the Universities way of promoting the language more on campus.

Congratulations on being able to speak English but it is our second official langauge and this is an effort to preserve our first official langauge

Lock it, lock it now before it gets ugly! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

What! no fair. im from up north and i didnt get on campus in first year. Thats really not fair, left me in a right state trying to find somewhere and not having a clue of dublin or buses. who runs that accommodation set-up they should be sack....naas, come on its not even that far.
    im applyin next year and i better get it this time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Breezer wrote: »
    Lock it, lock it now before it gets ugly! :p

Haha, yes indeed....

*cough* lipservice *cough*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 slevins

This ... by any chance? Care to elaborate on the S? And I am actually fluent in Irish, so you must have the wrong person...

Advertisement