Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted on renting 2-bed apartment

Options
  • 11-05-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

I'm strongly considering renting a 2-bed apartment, either in the city centre or along the Maynooth rail line (maybe as far out as Ashtown). I want to then rent out the other room to someone else. The reason for this is I've always just rented rooms in houses, and I'm sick of living with ignorant, lazy people. This way I have control over who I live with.

Problem is, I don't really know how to go about it. I've checked Daft and the prices seem to be roughly €1100 - €1500. I've checked Seamus's guide in the sticky thread and that was helpful. Still, I'd appreciate any general advice that people could give, especially what the 2nd person would be expected to pay (1/2 the rent?)

Thanks,
    Brian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I have done something similar with a three bedroomed house. The rent is split according to the room size, eg, box is least, ensuite is most. I have ensuite.

You will need to ensure that your lease does not preclude you from subletting the spare room and also recognise that any vacancy in the room means you are still liable for the rent.

Choosing flatmates is basically hard. Until they actually move in, there is no guarantee that they won't turn out to be fruitcakes. I've lived with some fruitcakes.

Me, if I were downsizing to a two bedroomed apartment, I'd want to live in it on my own.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Why not get the flatmate first (e.g. friend, coleague, etc) and then you can both search for a flat and split it equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement