Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German baked cheesecake

• 11-05-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

can anyone recommend a not terribly complex recipe for German baked cheesecake, either in German or English, please?

the only recipe I have for baked cheesecake is apparently an Austrian one and it features cottage cheese and cream cheese and the issue I have with that is I am not sure I ever saw cottage cheese on sale in a German supermarket and effectively I guess I was expecting something that had fromage frais in it (ie, Quark).

Also, the image I have of cream cheese is Philidelphia so we're like, all wrong here.

Most of the ones I have found online involve biscuit bases. This feels a bit wrong as well.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They definitely have cottage cheese in Germany .. it's called Hüttenkäse, so there's no reason it wouldn't be a genuine recipe. As for the 'cream cheese', I'm not sure .. it would depend on who translated the original German recipe, but most German cheesecake recipes have quark in them, so I assume this would be what they meant by 'cream cheese'. Translating ingredient names can sometimes be a bit of a minefield when exact equivalents aren't available in the one language.

I don't have any recipes myself though unfortunately. Good luck, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Pikeirl

The "Hüttenkäse" in Germany is some sort of a crumbly stuff and not used for a "real" German cheesecake. Curt is what you use for it, or in some recipes Philadelphia indeed. Here you go:
    http://www.chefkoch.de/suche.php?suche=K%E4sekuchen&wo=0
    hundreds of recipies, all in German though :)

Advertisement