Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Info

Options
  • 11-05-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi everyone just thought I'd share this little insight i was lucky to witness first hand.
    Last summer I lived in the states working for a Manhattan PR firm as a runner/assistant (they tried to label me an intern, but I wouldn’t accept it as I wasn’t there to learn, i just fixed and lifted things). This company organises the AGM's for the National Education Association, the largest Union for public school teachers and last year's was in Philadelphia. The NEA is strongly aligned to the democrats, and at this convention they had all the potential democratic nominees (I think 8 at this stage...) invited to speak and all attended. Obviously the two biggest where Barrack and Hillary, and because of secret service security, I was restricted to the control room back stage for both speeches.
    Hillary was the first to speak in front of the crowd of 10000 delegates. She has been a long time friend to the NEA and got the woman dominated audience on there feet for the majority of the 20mins she spoke. Without an auto cue script. Behind the stage, where there were no cameras, she had no time for handshakes or hellos, leaving the convention centre as quickly as she arrived.
    Barrack spoke the next day, getting the crowd on their feet again (a shock as the majority of the representatives of the NEA are middle aged ladies weighing over 16stone) for another 20mins, even having to be ushered off stage by the music rising in signal twice. However, he read from the two glass autocue boards to his left and right constantly, word for word.

Take from this whatever you want, but Clinton spoke about public school policies for 20mins without a script.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Were her policies any good?

I mean, I can waffle on about the merits of agricultural policies for 20 mnutes without a script, doesn't mean to say I have any great solutions or know what I'm talking about. Who made the best actual points between the two?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 feaven

She had spoken to this crowd several times before, so she knew exactly what buttons to press. Not all of it was about the education, some was why she should be elected ect.

heres a small video i found
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gpaSBXKso

sums up the first 10mins anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 feaven

found this one of the other fella
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gpaSBXKso

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

feaven wrote: »
    Take from this whatever you want, but Clinton spoke about public school policies for 20mins without a script.
    Not much.

Specific instances and anecdotes aside Clinton has often used scripts and teleprompters and Obama has done without on many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

feaven wrote: »
    Take from this whatever you want

The only thing I take from it is that you appear to see someone's ability to speak publically, on occasion, without notes as being somehow indicative of qualities one should want in a President.

What those qualities are, I'm a at loss to determine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Before I even opened this thread I knew it was going to be slating Obama! Honestly what is the point of this thread are you actually trying to say that because Obama uses auto cues that hes somehow a lesser candidate?

Before I even opened this thread I knew it was going to be slating Obama!

That's a bit sensitive. The OP said that he got a standing ovation, just used autocue. One can't say anything about Obama without it being taken as some serious attack. He's taken drugs! He slammed bitter small town America! His friend is a lunatic priest! Hilary has been way too soft on him, the GOP won't be so easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's all irrelevant. Hilary Clinton has lost the Democratic Primary campaign. Auto cues or no auto cues, Obama will fight a general election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

That's a bit sensitive. The OP said that he got a standing ovation, just used autocue. One can't say anything about Obama without it being taken as some serious attack. He's taken drugs! He slammed bitter small town America! His friend is a lunatic priest! Hilary has been way too soft on him, the GOP won't be so easy going.

Nothing like that I just knew that this insider information wouldn't really a big a deal because if it was it would be in the news and then I thought why would someone post such uninteresting and unimportant information?

then it hit me,

Someone who prefers Clinton and is a bit annoyed about Obama winning the nomination.

Anyway it doesn't matter now Obama's got the nomination, Clintons gone. Thank god!!

Anyway it doesn't matter now Obama's got the nomination, Clintons gone. Thank god!!

Has he? Whaddid I miss?

Think they were two good candidates. Just thought Bilary had a better chance of getting in if selected. I shall now put my house on McCain if what you say is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Has he? Whaddid I miss?

Think they were two good candidates. Just thought Bilary had a better chance of getting in if selected. I shall now put my house on McCain if what you say is true.

I think you are smart enough to know that the primary campaign is finished as a contest. Right?

And at this stage putting the house on McCain would be a pretty bad bet imo.

Advertisement