Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fish oil

• 11-05-2008 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

What brand fish oil do you guys take if any?

I did a little driving around my neighborhood's pharmacies today and so far I've found 2 brands I liked, Eskimo-3 and morEPA.

Do you take any of the above? or is there maybe something better out there with more EPA and DHA levels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Both of those supplements are supposed to be quite good.
    I use Vegepa as it has no DHA in it. DHA is supposed to somewhat counteract the theraputic effect of EPA as DHA is inflammatory and EPA is anti-inflamatory. I used to take MoreEPA but switched to VegEPA as it is a supplement that has been used in some of the better known studies into the affects of fish oils. This is the website :http://www.vegepa.com/ .
    I would say whatever supplement you decide to try, do not buy it in your local pharmacy. You can usually buy these oils at a significantly cheaper rate online if you shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

chilly wrote:
    DHA is supposed to somewhat counteract the theraputic effect of EPA as DHA is inflammatory and EPA is anti-inflamatory.
    I'm not so sure on that. Do a quick google of "DHA inflammation" and you'll see lots of studies linking it with reduced inflammation. DHA is also, quite literally, brain food. I'd say very important to get enough of.

From what I've read, it appears inflammatory eicosanoids (short lived messenger hormones) are triggered by excess omega6 fatty acids like AA (arachidonic acid) i.e. from vegetable oils, margarine's, seed oils etc. EPA is AA's direct opposite counterpart. If you've got problems with inflammation chilly, you might try cutting out nightshades (potatoes, bell-peppers, tomatoes and aubergines) for a few weeks and see if that does anything for you?

But chilly is right, you shop around on the net and you'll get some great value. I personally get this one from iherb http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=7908&at=0
    It really doesn't taste fishy at all, it's top quality, and a great price.

Things to look out for are smell, if it's really fishy then it's gone rancid and you've got a jar full of lipid peroxides. This can happen in capsules too, just you won't notice unless you bite open. Also you want it free from contaminants PCBs, mercury etc. It has to be "pharmaceutical grade" rather than your regular healthfood grade.

For any noticeable change, it's best to take at least 15mls (that's 1 tablespoon) per day, which is easy. Taking 15 single gram capsules a day is... well just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

That looks great apex - what does it taste like???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

CyberGhost wrote: »
    so far I've found 2 brands I liked, Eskimo-3 and morEPA.

I use morEPA. 3 for 2 in boots. Best thing about them is no repeating / aftertaste. In short, they're ggrrrrreat!

tony-new.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Lemony. It's ok though and a hell of a lot cheaper than eskimo oil. THe eskimo stuff is extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Yeah it's kinda neutral flavour. Mild fish "essence" I suppose you'd call it, and mild orangy essence (there's orange oil in it too). Quite palatable, but I'd not use it as a dressing or anything. Keep it sealed and refridgerated and it should stay well. If it's exposed to sunlight or air it'll go rancid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks guys!

Apex, Are there any problems with customs when importing supplements?

I'll give Nature's Answer a try or morEPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

CyberGhost wrote: »
    are there any problems with customs when importing supplements?
    It can vary from site to site. Herb-wise tribulus terrestris, Ginkgo Biloba, yohimbine and a variety of others are on the IMB banned list and would be likely to be seized. Fish oils or 'regular' vitamins should be ok although anything with over 100% of the RDA of Vit B may be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I'm not so sure on that. Do a quick google of "DHA inflammation" and you'll see lots of studies linking it with reduced inflammation. DHA is also, quite literally, brain food. I'd say very important to get enough of.

Firstly I'm afraid my scientific knowledge does not rival your own so this is not a counter argument...just additional information. I'd just take issue with your last point.

From what I have read a supplement with a high EPA to DHA ratio is acknowledged to be the most effective in alot of adult brain related conditions(depression,CFS,.Huntingtons, schizophrenia etc). While this has been the subject of some debate in the past ,the majority of the most widely published doctors (Horribin, Puri ,Peet and Stoll) in this area are now agreed upon this. I am not sure of the exact scientific whys and wherefores but I remember it relating to DHA encouraging some form of inflammatory process in the brain and inhibitting the efficacy of EPA. I know DHA has an important role in the structural development of the foetal and the infant brain but I have also read that it is of lesser importance in the fully developed brain and that as only small quantities are needed supplementation is rarely an issue. Another reason DHA is meant to be less imporant is because the EPA molecule can be converted to DHA in the body where required but the reverse of that is not true for DHA. I don't know anything about the roll of DHA outside of the conditions I've mentioned above so it might well be helpful for other things. I don't know why you chose your supplement but it has quite a low EPA to DHA ratio. If you're using it for any of the above type of conditions you might like to investigate trying a different one.

I'm sure you'll glean from my explanation here that I am no expert. I take fish oils for a post viral illness and my knowledge on the subject of EPA and DHA relates primarily to the conditions I mentioned above. I have read quite a bit on the subject and attended a talk by Dr Bassant Puri when he was in Ireland. If there is now information contrary to the above I would be genuinely interested to learn.High EPA to DHA ratio supplements are much more expensive too! :)

I find www.nutriglow.com to be a good site for buying from btw. They have a wide range and regularly offer 10 - 20% off deals and the postage to Ireland is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

chilly wrote: »
    Another reason DHA is meant to be less imporant is because the EPA molecule can be converted to DHA in the body where required but the reverse of that is not true for DHA. .

I don't think that true, human as far as i known can human can produce only one member of this family Arachidonic acid (omega 6).

those lipis them are not the real anti inflammatory agents it the production produce from the via the eicosanoids pathway. one of the major enzume in involved is COX and it this enyme to which aspirin attacks and inhibits inflamation

COX and other enzyme can use DHA/EPA to produce serious one and three products, there are literally thousands if these

where as Arachidonic acid produce series tow that is believed to be pro inflammatory (but there is an exception)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Thanks for this discussion lads, I've wanted to find a good fish oil supplement for ages but have been put off by the fishy aftertaste I've experienced with a couple of brands.

Advertisement