Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you guys vet this custom Komplett build for me?

Options
  • 11-05-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know HWV is cheaper and all that, but my old system died last night and I can't afford to wait until I actually have money in the bank to transfer, so I have to buy on the good old credit card, so I'm going to go with Komplett.

I selected one of their Gamer pre-builds and then modified it to the below. Could you have a look over it and suggest anything different (any different suggestions obviously has to be selectable on Komplett's menu as part of the build).

If there's any potential problems or weak spots below I'd really like to know. The total cost of the below build comes out at €1365 and I don't mind spending another hundred or two if I need to, like if I really need a more powerful PSU or something. I also want to get the best graphics performance I can from the options Komplett present you with.

I've got a 20" monitor already so I don't need anything there. I want a system that will enable to me to play current and future games at highest settings for a good few years to come (Crysis, I'm looking at you!).

Komplett Intel Gamer SLI Edition

Antec Nine Hundred black miditower,

Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS,

XFX nForce 780i SLI, nForce-780i SLI,

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67GHz (8 MB)

Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5,

XFX GeForce 9600GT 650M 512MB GDDR3,
    XFX GeForce 9600GT 650M 512MB GDDR3,

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2

NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200A, IDE,

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng 64bit

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Stick with the q6600
    stick with the p5ne-sli nforcei 650
    id get 2 Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB instead
    Actually disregard my advice ,just click buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Just pay the extra 30 quid to get the samsung 750gb f1 drives, bit faster and your getting an extra 500 gigs for 30 quid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

skuzzb wrote: »
    Just pay the extra 30 quid to get the samsung 750gb f1 drives, bit faster and your getting an extra 500 gigs for 30 quid!!

thanks, I'll take a look at that alright!

Oh and get a SATA dvd drive for the extra couple of quid, will give better airflow through the case and if you have problems doing a re-install of vista or something silly, you could just pop an old IDE one in.

Hmm, had a look at those 750gb samsung drives. The first one is an extra 14 yoyos but the second one is an extra 90! Ouch.

• Advertisement

Your right there, but the second WD drive is 83 quid so its still only an extra 15 quid.....do the full build out again and it works out at 1391 instead of 1360...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Go with the Point of View 9600gt, it'll save you about €20 or €30.

skuzzb wrote: »
    Your right there, but the second WD drive is 83 quid so its still only an extra 15 quid.....do the full build out again and it works out at 1391 instead of 1360...

aha! Silly me never spotted that. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Nice build man.Defo go with the 750gig drives.
    future games at highest settings for a good few years to come
    Heh, just doesn't happen im afraid.:o

Heh, just doesn't happen im afraid.:o

Ah yeah I know. Still, I'd hope to get a good year or two solid gaming performance out of it.

What do yez reckon of the two 9600 graphics cards in SLI? Pretty decent or would you opt for any of the other alternatives available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Branoic wrote: »
    Ah yeah I know. Still, I'd hope to get a good year or two solid gaming performance out of it.

What do yez reckon of the two 9600 graphics cards in SLI? Pretty decent or would you opt for any of the other alternatives available?

For now they are the best value for money around, insane performance for €260

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Just gone ahead and ordered it all now. Happy days!

I've placed the order and I've just noticed that the Corsair 620W PSU I selected is out of stock and they don't have a re-stock date yet, and my estimated shipping date is May 25th!

I want to see about selecting a different PSU. Could you make any recommenations on the options available? If it makes any difference, I've also gone for the Asus Striker II NSE nForce 790i SLI motherboard.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

SickBoy wrote: »

Thanks, but that particular model doesn't look like it's one of the options they give you in the build. You can only pick three Corsair PSUs and the most powerful is the 620W I wanted which is out of stock :(

I don't know enough about the PSU brands or anything available on the list you can pick from to make a good decision.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Try going with the thermaltake toughpower 750w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd second the Toughpower. Though the 550w Corsair or GameXStream would be OK as well in the same price bracket.

Looks like the ToughPower 750W isn't in stock either and isn't expected until June! This is proving problematic!

Would I be safe enough in picking any of the in-stock options or are there any makes or models on there that should be avoided for whatever reason (excessive noise, unreliable etc)?

I think I may just close my eyes and randomly click my mouse on the list!

I've gone for the ThermalTake 850W which is in stock. Probably way more power than I need at the moment, but that's not a bad thing is it?

To offset the cost of that I've decided to go back to the two original 500gb HDDs instead of the two 750gb Samsung drives (which themselves weren't in stock anyway). I've already got a 500gb external drive at home if I really need the space...

as a slight tangent to the above- my old PC has died and refuses to turn on, or when it does turn on it shuts itself off after two minutes. Would it be possible to take my existing harddrive out of the dead of and connect it to the new one even temporarily just to copy data to the new drives? Or would the fact i've got XP installed on the old drive cause problems when trying to turn on the new system with Vista or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

As long as the hard drive itself isnt the reason the computer is acting funny, it should be fine to put it into one of the free slots and get all your data..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

as a slight tangent to the above- my old PC has died and refuses to turn on, or when it does turn on it shuts itself off after two minutes. Would it be possible to take my existing harddrive out of the dead of and connect it to the new one even temporarily just to copy data to the new drives? Or would the fact i've got XP installed on the old drive cause problems when trying to turn on the new system with Vista or something?

Another quality AtomicHorror build suffers a critical failure... well at least you got a few years out of her. It looks like you'll get your new system long before I get mine at the rate things are going. :(

Another quality AtomicHorror build suffers a critical failure... well at least you got a few years out of her. It looks like you'll get your new system long before I get mine at the rate things are going. :(

Ah yeah, can't complain, she served me well. And I was a hard master - cramming the little case with all sorts of upgrades the in-built shuttle components just couldn't handle. It was a matter of time really, and it died as soon as the weather got hot! I'm sure something overheated and fried. At first it turned on for about 2 minutes and then shut itself off. Now whenever I flick the power switch at the back it just whines painfully, and pressing the On button does nothing. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Ah yeah, can't complain, she served me well. And I was a hard master - cramming the little case with all sorts of upgrades the in-built shuttle components just couldn't handle. It was a matter of time really, and it died as soon as the weather got hot! I'm sure something overheated and fried. At first it turned on for about 2 minutes and then shut itself off. Now whenever I flick the power switch at the back it just whines painfully, and pressing the On button does nothing. Ah well!

If the old Pentium 4 CPU is still in there it may simply be the heat- they'll switch themselves off to protect the core if the temperature gets too high iirc. TBH those old shuttle cases are buggers for overheating.

Advertisement