Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test tomorrow - Coasting Question

Options
  • 11-05-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My test is tomorrow (feckin hell I'm nervous), I've been driving for about six months and feel confident behind the wheel, I keep to the speed limits, my positional sense etc. is good, but one MAJOR problem I just found out about yesterday...COASTING!!

I had a pre-test just to check up on how I was doing and I mentioned that I tend to do this and now it has me freaked that I'm going to fail tomorrow because I generally do it when stopping.

Could somebody please define what exactly coasting is in the testers mind, i.e. when are you coasting when are you not, and can you fail on coasting alone if everything else is ok?

Thanks

Also, they will ask a question on how you wuold check anty 3 of the following: Maybe you could tell me / correct me? Thanks

Tyres
    Answer: check the thread depth. must be minimum 1.6mm (Any other way to check?)
    Lights
    Answer: ... turn them on whilst parked and get out and look (? lol what am i supposed to say?)
    Reflections
    Answer: ??
    Indicators
    Answer: again, put them on whilst parked and get out and look (I'm going to sound like an idiot tomorrow amn't I? :p)
    Engine Oil:
    Answer: Lift the bonnet, take out the dipstick, clean it, put it back in and take it out again and check that it is between the minimum and maximum measurments on the stick.
    Coolant:
    Don't know :confused:
    Windscreen Washer Fluid:
    Answer: I know where it is, but I usually don't "check" as it ran out on my recently so I filled it back up...but I can't say that :)
    Steering:
    Answer: If the steering is either too loose or too rigid, it may require attention, also ensure you top up the steering fluid (?) in the car.
    Brakes:
    Answer: If breaks are too "weak" ... don't know, how do I phrase these?
    Horn:
    Answer: Press it :cool:

Lol, I'm going to fail amn't I? :p Help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

I had a serious problem with coasting leading up to my test, my instructor told me to press on the brake lightly before I needed to then become stronger and even to come to a stop in 2nd gear if it kept me off the clutch until i needed to press it to stop me cutting out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

like when you stop. dont push the clutch until the engine is about to cut out. they dig that. for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah leave it in gear (2nd) when stopping and press the clutch as late as possible.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

towel401 wrote: »
    dont push the clutch until the engine is about to cut out.

You shouldn't let the engine struggle in anyway when coming to a stop, put the clutch in before this happens. As the other have said stop in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

[Jackass] wrote: »

Lights
    Answer: ... turn them on whilst parked and get out and look (? lol what am i supposed to say?)

drive up to a wall and turn them on, they will reflect off the wall so you can tell if they are working or not. Same with the back lights, reverse up to a wall [or shop windows are really good] and check.
    Reflections
    Answer: ??

you can shine a torch into the reflectors to check them.

Indicators
    Answer: again, put them on whilst parked and get out and look (I'm going to sound like an idiot tomorrow amn't I? :p)

yep thats what you do - it does sound silly when you first think about but alot of the test is very straight forward stuff.
    Engine Oil:
    Answer: Lift the bonnet, take out the dipstick, clean it, put it back in and take it out again and check that it is between the minimum and maximum measurments on the stick.

you also check what the oil looks like as well
    Coolant:
    Don't know :confused:

there should be a marker outside - mine is really hard to see on my car, you have to look really close.
    Windscreen Washer Fluid:
    Answer: I know where it is, but I usually don't "check" as it ran out on my recently so I filled it back up...but I can't say that :)

They usually just ask you were it goes which you know as you've filled it up :)

Lol, I'm going to fail amn't I? :p Help much appreciated

just try and relax. Do your best and if you do fail its not the end of the world. Focus on being a good driver and not on failing or passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Thanks for those tips, they are very useful. Do you have to demonstrate all these things or just explain to the examiner how you would do them?

Also, just check brakes and horn by using them? How do you check your steering? For tyres is it just the thread depth of 1.6mm...?

My head is wrecked. For the driver checks, do you just get in, adjust your seat, mirror etc and put on seatbelt

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

missmatty wrote: »
    Do you have to demonstrate all these things or just explain to the examiner how you would do them?
    The examiner will request that you start the engine and he will remain outside the vehicle while requesting that you switch on lights indicators, press brake pedal etc.
    Also, just check brakes and horn by using them?
    He will request that you press brake pedal and he will check that the brake light works. They don't check the actual brakes but you would have signed a disclaimer that the car is roadworthy.

How do you check your steering?
    Steering fluid in resevoir.
    For tyres is it just the thread depth of 1.6mm...?
    At least 1.6mm over 75% of surface area.
    For the driver checks, do you just get in, adjust your seat, mirror etc and put on seatbelt
    Get in, put on belt and start engine.

(You shoulddn't really have to adjust mirror or seat as presumably you will have driven the car to the test centre).

Reverse into the parking bay so that you can drive straight out. The last thing you need at the start of a test is a reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Hate to say it (although it is prob too late for it to worry you now) but I got failed for coasting alone. It was the biggest error on my sheet. Marked four times but tester told me it was a lot more!

Advertisement