Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to have my first HIV test: SUPER-ANXIOUS - Whats ur first like?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

MYOB wrote: »
    I believe it may be an issue in the UK (where they're allowed ask questions on application forms that they're absolutely not here) but I'm nearly certain it isn't here.

Why would having been found *not* to have it have any effect on premiums anyway? There are times (for certain medical procedures for instance) when you're obliged to get a full STI screening when you could be at absolutely no risk - a friend of mine had to get one while still a virgin for instance. Loading/refusing premiums due to this would almost certainly be baseless and not stand up in court.

I'm guessing its that if you had a test done its percieved you have had exposure to high risk group & therefore its possible you'd be more likely to have exposure again.

The GP I mentioned is a practice in Dublin, don't know why he'd tell me not to have it done if what he was saying about mortgage insurance was untrue. In the end I just decided peace of mind was more important than a mortgage in the future.

Someone mentioned the waiting time being two weeks. If you go to Dr Freedman in ranelaigh it only takes 1 week & he'll give you the result on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The issue is in relation to the mortgage assurance cover. This is where a mortgage is taken out in joint names and should one or both parties die, the mortgage is automatically paid off. Many banks will not give mortgages without this cover and this is why they ask medical question such as "hve you ever had an STI test". I know of one building society what had/has a standing policy of not allowing two males get a joint mortgage because of the presumption of homosexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which building society is it? That assumption would fly very close to breaking the Equal Status Act (which allows discrimination on grounds of risk, but which needs to be proven - assumptions are not prove). I'd also like to avoid giving them my business in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Can't name the building society/bank in question. Friend worked in their mortgage department and had huge trouble trying to get a mortgage for two brothers authorised despite there being no clear reason for it being blocked. Having asked around apparently it was common enough for these type of mortgages to be slow balled massively. As far as I recall the solution was that one of them re-apply on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

MYOB wrote: »
    Obviously you have to say if you were diagnosed with it. But you don't have to say you were tested for it, which is what some people are claiming.

Oh i didn't realise that, thats crazy. It's none of their business, whether you've been tested or not is totally irrelevant.
    Boston wrote: »
    I know of one building society what had/has a standing policy of not allowing two males get a joint mortgage because of the presumption of homosexuality.

That's pathetic and really saddening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Why would you have to tell your GP you are gay to have a HIV test?
    And why would telling your GP you are gay have anythign at all to do with insurance or anything else ?

As regarding it affecting any insurance policy etc , as i understand it this is something that happened immediately after the appearance of AIDS/HIV and these days is little more than a myth

I have been asked by my GP before, and he said it was because (for curable infections) stronger doses or even different perscriptions are needed if you have had sex with men, or people from the US west coast, southern florida, or the far east (China, Japan, Korea, etc.)

Also, I was young when I moved to the US, and was listed under my parents for health insurance. Once I had to get my own insurance, (most) companies are not allowed to ask questions like that before they accept you. However, they may raise or lower rates depending on your condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Obi77

Will know by tomorrow morning....anxiety overdrive now !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

Well I really hope it was great news....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Obi77

cybrandian wrote: »
    Well I really hope it was great news....

it was...whew!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Obi77 wrote: »
    it was...whew!

While its not very likely you'll get something - its always better to know isn't it.

Now just treat it like a car servicing, every 12 months or 12,000 men :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement