Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ballymun Garda checkpoint

Options
  • 11-05-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Great to see the Gardai seizing untaxed, un-vrted and uninsured cars yesterday just off the M50 at the Ballymun exit. Both sides of the dual carraigeway blocked off with a lot of gardai present. They had the car transporters there loaded up with numerous seized foreign and Irish reg cars ready to take away. Hopefully a sign of things to come.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

furtzy wrote: »
    Great to see the Gardai seizing untaxed, un-vrted and uninsured cars yesterday just off the M50 at the Ballymun exit. Both sides of the dual carraigeway blocked off with a lot of gardai present. They had the car transporters there loaded up with numerous seized foreign and Irish reg cars ready to take away. Hopefully a sign of things to come.:)

Great to see that, But they should do it in other places as well. For example on N11 etc as there are many uk and Eu cars around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

wish they'd do it down my way.... the amount of young fellas driving with english plates sickens me.can't all holiday makers.:mad: 1 lad surely has his more than a year, would love to see it impounded!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Looked like a very well rehearsed operation so i wouldn't be surprised if its repeated elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

fuppin backstards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

didnt think they could sieze untaxed cars...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i think so, if it's 3 or more months outta date!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Good to see them taking a bit of innitiative in clamping down on illegal cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

didnt think they could sieze untaxed cars...

Coursethey can. Untaxed cars are illegally on he road so they take them off it.
    staker wrote: »
    i think so, if it's 3 or more months outta date!

Generally it's 2 monhs but they can do i anyime after the tax expires if he mood takes them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

I was under the impression that un-VRTed cars was the remit of Customs & Excise, and not the Gardai :confused:

Obviously if a car is brought in from the UK it cannot be taxed until it is registered here. A friend of mine brought in a diesel Audi from the UK last February. He doesn't intend to VRT it until July, when the rates for most diesels will go down, but he's driving around every day, even parking on public roads. The gardai stopped him one day and just warned him "Don't let customs catch you" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

the gardai are people too ya know.... i know one gardai that has been going around with a uk plate BMW for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Looked like a very well rehearsed operation so i wouldn't be surprised if its repeated elsewhere

I've seen them there before, transporter fully loaded and a bunch of lads with worried looks talking on mobiles :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

scholes19 wrote: »
    fuppin backstards!

Great first contribution in motors :rolleyes:

Consider yourself warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen one of these on the N7->Nangor northbound bit of the ORR, made sure I came back a different route as I didn't have my licence on me! Everything else legit obviously.

Hope they increase the frequency of these a bit, might be a nice source of revenue to fill the black hole in the economy this year, Honest Revenue's Used Car Sales...

MYOB wrote: »
    Hope they increase the frequency of these a bit, might be a nice source of revenue to fill the black hole in the economy this year, Honest Revenue's Used Car Sales...

Hopefully so....they're €800m down on revenue already this year so expect them to be looking down every avenue to claw some back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

daisychain wrote: »
    I was under the impression that un-VRTed cars was the remit of Customs & Excise, and not the Gardai :confused:

I'd almost gurantee there were customs officers there.
    They probably got the gardai to set up the checkpoint and stop the cars while the customs officers stand aside and make the judgement calls on calls on whether to impound a certain car or not.
    Co-operation at its finest!
    staker wrote: »
    wish they'd do it down my way.... the amount of young fellas driving with english plates sickens me.can't all holiday makers.:mad: 1 lad surely has his more than a year, would love to see it impounded!!!

Help them do their job, make a phonecall.
    Minister Lenihan needs all the cash he can get

Who *do* you contact to snitch in a VRO dodge? I know of a car thats been here well over a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I don't understand the reasoning behind this - I mean maybe if it's some neighbour that's been annoying you or you have some sort of grudge against them, then I could understand people reporting them.

But to just randomly report someone for driving a foreign car seems a bit ridiculous. It doesn't have any affect on your life, why would you be bothered?

Do you just like making phonecalls and talking to the gardai makes you feel important?

I don't understand the reasoning behind this - I mean maybe if it's some neighbour that's been annoying you or you have some sort of grudge against them, then I could understand people reporting them.

But to just randomly report someone for driving a foreign car seems a bit ridiculous. It doesn't have any affect on your life, why would you be bothered?

Do you just like making phonecalls and talking to the gardai makes you feel important?

Theres a very good reasoning for this. Does it not piss you off every time you renew your tax that these guys are just sticking two fingers up and using the services that you paid for. I would have no problem in shopping these ****s

Theres a very good reasoning for this. Does it not piss you off every time you renew your tax that these guys are just sticking two fingers up and using the services that you paid for. I would have no problem in shopping these ****s

No - it doesn't bother me at all. If they can get away with it, fair play to them.

As I said before, if it was someone that had pissed me off then I might think about reporting them but if it's just some random person I couldn't care less.

They're deceiving the state of VRT and of road tax. And I'd wager theres a damn good chance they're not insured either - if you disregard the law in one area it implies you'll disregard it in far more. Don't see that as being any less worth reporting as a benefit fraudster, etc - all end up costing those who don't break the law money.

One of the two cars I know of has an out-of-date UK road fund licence disc, meaning its not taxed there. This probably implies its not insured or MOTed either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

No - it doesn't bother me at all. If they can get away with it, fair play to them.

Would it bother you if you had an accident with one of them and tried to claim off their ... ahem .... insurance?!

As I said before, if it was someone that had pissed me off then I might think about reporting them but if it's just some random person I couldn't care less.

So if they stole some cash from your pocket you'd be fine with that as well? Strange a la carte attitude to the law you have there

I really, really don't get this Irish 'ah fair play to them' attitude to people who are quite directly ****ing the rest of us over. :confused:

Would it bother you if you had an accident with one of them and tried to claim off their ... ahem .... insurance?!

I don't know how you jump from having no tax to having no insurance - they're completely separate issues.

I don't know how you jump from having no tax to having no insurance - they're completely separate issues.

Very few Irish companies will insure a foreign registered car

Very few foreign companies will insure a domestically registered car that is permanently used outside their country

Someone who willfully disregards the motoring laws of a country in *two* regards (vehicle registration and taxation) is very likely to have the same nonchalance to the rest of them.

Surely if a car isn't taxed, the insurance (if any) will be null and void?

Surely if a car isn't taxed, the insurance (if any) will be null and void?

I think it works like that in the UK, but not over here

If their UK insurance is voided in the UK, its quite obviously voided here too!

One of the requirements while obtaining insurance:

Vehicle Requirements ▪ Must be registered in the Republic of Ireland or the United Kingdom in your name, spouse, civil partner or parent's name.

So if I have an english reg car on the roads for a couple of years here, and go to the bother of insuring it, do you really think Quinn Direct will pay out for someone whi I drive in to?! I really think not.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Very few Irish companies will insure a foreign registered car

Very few foreign companies will insure a domestically registered car that is permanently used outside their country

Someone who willfully disregards the motoring laws of a country in *two* regards (vehicle registration and taxation) is very likely to have the same nonchalance to the rest of them.

Personally, I would never drive a car without insurance or tax. But there's way too much risk involved if there's an accident and you don't have insurance. I'd see driving without tax as a much lesser crime.

AFAIK quinn direct have no problem insuring a foreign car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement