Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ballymun Garda checkpoint

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

astraboy wrote: »
    Also, MR Rat, the person in a UK reg car only has to RETURN to the UK(or poland etc etc for our EU members) every 6 months, not return there for 6 months a year. If you are going to report people at least make sure they are breaking the law first.

Incorrect. If you're going to insult someone and accuse them of being wrong, at least make sure you're right first.

You must be residing here *temporarily*, which is less than 180/181 (leap year) days per annum on Revenues definition. Blipping the car over the border for a day does not give you another 6 months.

The fact that the VRT on importing a car you already owned when you moved here is *tiny* assuming you can prove it makes it even more ridiculous that theres people trying to avoid it.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt2.htm for details. Heading back to the UK once every 6 months isn't "regularly", and I suspect paying your tax here instantly dooms you to being deemed resident. But I note its now 12 months they have, not 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

MYOB wrote: »
    cvoffice@revenue.ie - central vehicle office in Rosslare. They should be the correct people...

Did you get a reply or confirmation they would look into your report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Wrong, the Government are stealing from my pocket with VRT. And no, I don't agree at all with drink driving. There are plenty of laws I don't agree with, in fact I took up VRT with a canvasing TD in my area at the last election. But alas looks like we are stuck with it. I hate uninsured muppets, but VRT is a totally unfair tax and its in fact a Tax upon a tax(VRT on top of VAT). Its also added to possibly life saving safety features, which is a disgrace. But its grand, the Government says its ok so it must be.:cool: Try thinking for yourself for once and don't tar everyone that drives a foreign reg car as scummy or law breaking, maybe they are not.

Begrudgers like you are what is wrong with Ireland. Go on, report them to the customs, ya rat.

EDIT: There are plenty of laws I disagree with, just because its a law does not make it right, nor should we refuse to question the law or its merits, or the way it is applied. VRT is not only unfair, it is applied unfairly.

Also, MR Rat, the person in a UK reg car only has to RETURN to the UK(or poland etc etc for our EU members) every 6 months, not return there for 6 months a year. If you are going to report people at least make sure they are breaking the law first.

Mr Rat?????.....you are such a clown. You seem to protray these tax dodgers as some sort of Robin Hood characters. Do you not realise they are stealing from you. Any other laws you think people should just ignore if they feel like it. You are what is wrong with this country. The "ah fair play to them" idiots. If someone wants to steal from me I'm damn sure not going to let them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

furtzy wrote: »
    Mr Rat?????.....you are such a clown. You seem to protray these tax dodgers as some sort of Robin Hood characters. Do you not realise they are stealing from you. Any other laws you think people should just ignore if they feel like it. You are what is wrong with this country. The "ah fair play to them" idiots. If someone wants to steal from me I'm damn sure not going to let them

First off, you don't need to go back to the UK for 6 months of the year. You need to have permanent ties with the UK, ie, you may be working here for a year and go back every few months. Plus, any car owned by a person living in another country for more then 6 months is exempt from VRT. There are many genuine reasons for a person to be driving a foreign reg car here ligit.

I do actually believe they are robin hood characters, hell, its ok for the leader of the country to take backhanders, but God forbid someone from the lower classes might try it. I normally don'y condone tax evasion, but VRT is a plain rip off, maybe you should be questioing it instead of those getting away without paying it. And these people are not stealing from me, they are, as far as I am concerned, getting away without paying a tax everyone else just lies down and accepts. If more people objected to it the Gov might consider what a stupid and unfair tax it actually is, however for the meantime we have people like you ensuring we are all compliant with it. You must have such a fullfilling life. Grow up, and rat out some real criminals. Like I said, as far as I'm concerned, its the Gov stealing and ripping us off with VRT, open your eyes to that FFS.

'going back every few months' is completely and utterly different from what you claimed, though. You went and claimed someone was wrong, insisting you were right with something entirely inaccurate. Permanent ties means a hell of a lot more than going back every few months - people working in Intel with Scottish 'ties' have been stung for VRT + fines for UK registered cars despite going home every few weekends (see Liffey Champions past for numerous years).

As goes the (former) leader of the Government - its not acceptable and I didn't vote for the chancer, for his party or for anyone currently in Government.

Odd that you can't see that anyone defrauding the state is stealing from you - directly - by causing higher taxes. Or do you not pay any? Find it impossible if you're a driver not to. And yet you think its not OK for Bertie to take backhanders - I find them one in the same. Condone one, condone the other.

And I find it very odd that someone who has to use terms like "Mr Rat" and thinks its OK to "get one over" per se on the government by defrauding them can even consider telling someone else to 'grow up'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Great to see that, But they should do it in other places as well. For example on N11 etc as there are many uk and Eu cars around there.

Agreed 100%. I live in Stillorgan and I'm a foreigner who pays insurance, tax etc. My neighbours own two Polish reg cars and don't pay a cent. It does my nut.

'going back every few months' is completely and utterly different from what you claimed, though. You went and claimed someone was wrong, insisting you were right with something entirely inaccurate. Permanent ties means a hell of a lot more than going back every few months - people working in Intel with Scottish 'ties' have been stung for VRT + fines for UK registered cars despite going home every few weekends (see Liffey Champions past for numerous years).

As goes the (former) leader of the Government - its not acceptable and I didn't vote for the chancer, for his party or for anyone currently in Government.

Odd that you can't see that anyone defrauding the state is stealing from you - directly - by causing higher taxes. Or do you not pay any? Find it impossible if you're a driver not to. And yet you think its not OK for Bertie to take backhanders - I find them one in the same. Condone one, condone the other.

And I find it very odd that someone who has to use terms like "Mr Rat" and thinks its OK to "get one over" per se on the government by defrauding them can even consider telling someone else to 'grow up'!

The Intel case proves my point, VRT is not only unfair, it is implemented in a police state manner, in effect you are guilty until proved innocent with is inherently wrong IMO. I pay plenty of taxes thanks, my car is Irish reged etc etc, but I'll admit I do like to see one taken over on the Gov in relation to VRT(just VRT mind). I forgot, we get great value for our motoring taxes, miles and miles of untolled motorways, smooth road surfaces, safe B roads, O wait.......:mad:

I'm condoning avoidence of VRT, no other tax though. I do find it rich we need to confrom with a law bought in by bertie himself as Finance minister when he could not even get a tax cert! When VRT was intorduced in 1993 it was another nail in the coffin for the irish motorist(literally for many as VRT is charged on safety features making them more expensive).

I think tax evasion is wrong, but VRT is the exception that proves the rule. VRT is the Gov screwing us over(for a change:()

Regardless we are stuck with it, hence another reason for me to move to the UK. :) Back on topic, I am glad to hear there is a better guarda presence and that they are stopping uninsured drivers.

VRT just replaced excise duty - how does replacing something with the same thing become 'another nail in the coffin'? Surely whenever import tarriffs were brought in on cars (50s?) was then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

I am glad to hear there is a better guarda presence and that they are stopping uninsured drivers.

HUH:confused:guarda

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can we send the "rats" and "clowns" to bed now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

night night ;)

VRT just replaced excise duty - how does replacing something with the same thing become 'another nail in the coffin'? Surely whenever import tarriffs were brought in on cars (50s?) was then?

It was bought in because the Gov needed another source of tax. Excise duty and VRT are totally different. VRT is implemented in a manner bordering on undemocratic, and enforced like most other laws in this country are not. As I previously stated, you are guilty until proven innocent in the case of a VRT clampdown. It must really impress our European visitors to be harassed about their car when they are on holiday. Believe me, it happens. :mad:

Its a nail in the coffin for Irish motor enthusiasts, sports cars and high performance cars are hugely more expensive and combined with VAT safety features on cars become massively more expensive too. For years Irish motorists were driving around in poverty spec cars with little base spec equipment, including safety features that were optional in Ireland but standard everywhere else, all because of VRT. Hopefully the new rules will negate this to a certain extent, and people will stop buying base model cars with poor standard spec. Still though, we have 2K road tax to look forward to on any half decent new sports car. Thank you very much Mr. Gomerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

peasant wrote: »
    Can we send the "rats" and "clowns" to bed now?

please do. One thing I've noticed in my short time on earth is that debating gets us no-where, especially on an online forum. Some people have one view, others have other views - They are not going to change by repeatedly argueing the same points.

Lets all have a nice sleep and forget our differences :)

Damn right Cionad.

I was about to post:
    "you guys talk about ratting like it's a bad thing. Dodgers are shafting You and Me. Shaft them back. If you're going to shaft you need to accept the risk that you will be shafted in return."

But then I read how this is just going to go back and forth and back, so I agree. Points for and against are made. 'Nuff said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

To any motorist who thinks VRT is fair:

I'm a wallet inspector, please PM your credit card and bank account details so I can check their validity.

Complimentary vaseline with each checkup.

Anyhoo.. The main gripe I have with the tax and VRT dodgers is that I feel they are also likely to be insurance and roadworthiness dodgers as well - this affects all of us far greater than a few pence extra in yearly income tax and I am glad to see them being taken off the road.

These motorists also have immunity from speeding & parking prosecutions as it seems that in most cases, the Guards don't have the resources to track them down.*

*it actually hurt to write that - you all know my opinion on speed tax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Wasn't excise duty brought in to promote domestic car manufacturing back in the day? It was outlawed under EEC rules under "free movement of goods". AFAIK VRT was always there albiet insignificant.

When the EU outlawed VRT (in it's current form) under "free movement of goods", they invented the new and improved carbon based version.

When global warming is found out to be a big fat lie, they'll invent something else.

There's not much wood left in the coffin now, its nearly all made of nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I hate VRT. I feel it is totally against the spirit of the main principle of the EU, the "free movement of goods and people within the EU"

That said, If you feel like I do, vote for a political party that wants to abolish this tax
    I'm condoning avoidence of VRT

I'm not condoning (people promoting) tax avoidance on here. Tax dodgers make the bill for tax payers even higher. That's a warning, by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

furtzy wrote: »
    Great to see the Gardai seizing untaxed, un-vrted and uninsured cars yesterday just off the M50 at the Ballymun exit. Both sides of the dual carraigeway blocked off with a lot of gardai present. They had the car transporters there loaded up with numerous seized foreign and Irish reg cars ready to take away. Hopefully a sign of things to come.:)

Hopefully next time its in Foxrock.

I think tax evasion is wrong, but VRT is the exception that proves the rule. VRT is the Gov screwing us over(for a change:()

Read this statement aloud. Think about why you think tax evasion is wrong! The governement take in around €2bn from VRT every year. If its abolished, like you seem to be advocating, they will simply raise it through other means or even better, as proven in the past, simply call it another name like tyre tax etc. The thread was started to highlight the fact that at last I have seen evidenece of the Garda seizing illegal cars and they are to be commended for this. Hopefully this will become a common sight on our roads.....end of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

I got my car taken off me at the weekend. Waiting for the registration book from England. The guard on his own didnt want to know. He called for back up then told me he was taking the car. Now i have a nice fine of 10% the value fo the car, nicccccccccccccce!! he'll never have a car like that, he was just jealous and wanted to ruin my day, well he didnt!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I got my car taken off me at the weekend. Waiting for the registration book from England. The guard on his own didnt want to know. He called for back up then told me he was taking the car. Now i have a nice fine of 10% the value fo the car, nicccccccccccccce!! he'll never have a car like that, he was just jealous and wanted to ruin my day, well he didnt!!

how long have you been "Waiting for the registration book from England" . Come off it., thats the worst excuse I've heard on this thread.
    It's your responsibility you get the registration book. Blame yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

S**t buzz. How long did you have the car in the country? Could you not have got a letter from VRT office to say that you were waiting for the logbook?

10% of the value of the car???? Man, that's nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Mairt wrote: »
    Hopefully next time its in Foxrock.

They were close by yesterday morning, just off the M50 at Leoparstown. Apparently they were dipping some of the cars too!

It's quite amusing to hear on all the radio stations that traffic is bad on the Leopardstown Road - no mention of why at all!

Good. So what was this fantastic car that he was so jealous of and that you couldn't wait to drive illegally

What kind of car is so great a Guard will 'never have a car like it' - I know of one with an 08 S-class, as it happens.

Its your obligation to VRT the car the working day after you bring it in the country, you should have got the V5C before you brought it here. Ignorance of the law - or possible specific disobedience in this case - isn't an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

AFAIK, the government pay a fine to the EU every year coz of VRT.
    That should tell you everything you need to know on the wright and wrongs of VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

GavMan wrote: »
    AFAIK, the government pay a fine to the EU every year coz of VRT.
    That should tell you everything you need to know on the wright and wrongs of VRT.

The wright2.jpg and bigwongsign.jpg?

:D Sorry... i couldn't resist.

I heard that too by the way - I'd love to know for definite if it's true.

VRT itself has never legally been tested in Europe

I believe an equivalent in another country has been and was allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Good to see the Guards and C & E finally upholding the law regarding foreign reg'd cars, it's only taken them 8ish years to start.

@legalbird, everyone knows the law regarding VRT'ing your car within 24hrs. Your comments about the Guards upholding the law are a bit misplaced you broke the law not them.

A few more weeks of confiscation and soon everyone who has forgotten to pay their taxes will be forced to do so.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I hate VRT. I feel it is totally against the spirit of the main principle of the EU, the "free movement of goods and people within the EU"

That said, If you feel like I do, vote for a political party that wants to abolish this tax

I'm not condoning (people promoting) tax avoidance on here. Tax dodgers make the bill for tax payers even higher. That's a warning, by the way...

I'm not promoting avoidence of VRT, I'm not posting up how to get away without paying it. :rolleyes: I was mearly saying I disagree with it. Should we all agree with everything FF does?! Ban me if you like, kind of tired of all the begrudgers like the ones above, delighted that someones car got taken off them when they were waiting for the tax book.

I'm just posting up my personal opinion, I thought this was a discussion forum no?!:confused:

As for the law stating the car must be VRT'd after 24 hrs, what bull. A lot of UK seller prefer to have the logbook sent to you by post. How can you VRT the car then?:rolleyes: What a farce of a law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement