Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ballymun Garda checkpoint

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

furtzy wrote: »
    Good. So what was this fantastic car that he was so jealous of and that you couldn't wait to drive illegally

It seems you thrive on others misfortune, or maybe you don't...who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

how long have you been "Waiting for the registration book from England" . Come off it., thats the worst excuse I've heard on this thread.
    It's your responsibility you get the registration book. Blame yourself.
    The car was on private plates in England and there has been alot of trouble trying to get the log book, the previous owner has not yet completed the reg transfer onto his new vehicle. Benn ringing the DVLA nearly every second day to no avail. If I wanted to screw the system 1> I wouldnt be posting here and 2> I wouldnt have got the car taken off me because I would have had an excuse ready my mother would be proud of. I got nailed becasue I told the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the guard was so "jealous" as you claim they'd have taken it excuse or no excuse. Wait, you used an excuse as it was. Doubt any other one would have held water, "jealous" guard or not.

You know the obligations to bringing a car into the country, one of them is registering it the next working day - if you've not got the docs, don't bring in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

MYOB wrote: »
    if you've not got the docs, don't bring in the car.

Which may be a tad impractical ...leaving X grand worth of car unguarded on a public car park in England :D

Informing the VRT people and leaving the car sitting in the drive until the documents arrive on the other hand would be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

cashmni1 wrote: »
    It seems you thrive on others misfortune, or maybe you don't...who knows?

Not at all. just glad the gardai are finally taking illegal cars off the road. Her attitude regarding the Garda beiing jealous of her car hints at her attitude towards law enforcement and that is all

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Which may be a tad impractical ...leaving X grand worth of car unguarded on a public car park in England :D

Informing the VRT people and leaving the car sitting in the drive until the documents arrive on the other hand would be an option

Where any passing coppers ANPR system would flag it as off the road too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Not at all. just glad the gardai are finally taking illegal cars off the road. Her attitude regarding the Garda beiing jealous of her car hints at her attitude towards law enforcement and that is all

FFS. The high horse attitude strikes again. Amazing how such perfect citizens are only on boards, you never see them in real life. If the cops confiscated my car when I could not genuinely register it, due to a document error beyond my control, I would be pissed too. It says nothing about her attitude to the law in general, she stated she would register it when she got the documents. Yet again we have another citizen screwed over by the systematic enforcement of VRT because they told the truth. A bit of discretion and common sense go a long way when it comes to law enforcement. I'm sure she would have respected the cop much more if he registered the UK reg and told her to get is sorted as soon as possible.

Claiming she has no respect for the law in general is a step too far and a blatant rise out of a typical high horse bandit. Sometimes you know, the law is an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

How Pathetic can you get. Gloating that people are getting caught with uk reg cars. If it wasn't such a rip off to buy a car here most of them probably wouldn't need to go to the uk to buy cars. Good on them I say if you can get away with it.

astraboy wrote: »
    FFS. The high horse attitude strikes again. Amazing how such perfect citizens are only on boards, you never see them in real life.

How does obeying the laws of land equate to a high horse attitude :confused:
    If the cops confiscated my car when I could not genuinely register it, due to a document error beyond my control, I would be pissed too.

Could she not simply park it up until its VRT'ed etc?
    It says nothing about her attitude to the law in general, she stated she would register it when she got the documents.

But until then she'll drive it illegally anyway. Does that not say something of her attitude?
    Yet again we have another citizen screwed over by the systematic enforcement of VRT because they told the truth. A bit of discretion and common sense go a long way when it comes to law enforcement. I'm sure she would have respected the cop much more if he registered the UK reg and told her to get is sorted as soon as possible.

The onus is on the owner to have a legal car. She obviously knew she had to VRT it to drive it legally but instead she choose to not wait. The cop was only doing his job. I'm sure you'd be the first to complain about the cops if they weren't doing their job if it affected you.
    Claiming she has no respect for the law in general is a step too far and a blatant rise out of a typical high horse bandit. Sometimes you know, the law is an ass.

Claiming that the cop was jealous of her car is childish and IMO hints at a rather stupid attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

But until then she'll drive it illegally anyway. Does that not say something of her attitude?

The onus is on the owner to have a legal car. She obviously knew she had to VRT it to drive it legally but instead she choose to not wait. The cop was only doing his job. I'm sure you'd be the first to complain about the cops if they weren't doing their job if it affected you.

Claiming that the cop was jealous of her car is childish and IMO hints at a rather stupid attitude.

+1

Boards.ie is rampant with high horsers, I agree and they drive me bananas, but in this case it is black and white.

Astraboy and the 'I don't agree with VRT brigade' and the rest of the tax dodgers, get a grip, it's a law. There are plenty of laws I don't agree with, it deosn't give me immunity from them!

I for one am delighted to see the VRT being enforced, If I didn't pay my car tax, I would be fined and summonsed if I was stopped, they could take my car off me if the tax was long enough out of date. Why should it be any different for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

shamboo wrote: »
    How Pathetic can you get. Gloating that people are getting caught with uk reg cars. If it wasn't such a rip off to buy a car here most of them probably wouldn't need to go to the uk to buy cars. Good on them I say if you can get away with it.

What a load of cock, why not complain about the price of cars in the USA while you are at it. If you can't afford the Irish prices or the UK +VRT prices, then you can't afford the car!

An answer for everything, let me guess, you are a civil servant!!! I have had the money for the VRT since I brought the car over, thats not the issue, Im not trying to screw the system. You seem to think I am posting so I can argue about what happened. Yes I slipped up but do I deserve the fine that I will have to incur?? Of course you will say yes because that is your attitude. I can prove with phone records that I have rang the DVLA every second day for the last 2 months. So Furtzy give me a break and stop being a know all with your HIGH HORSE attitude, go for a tea break!!

An answer for everything, let me guess, you are a civil servant!!! I have had the money for the VRT since I brought the car over, thats not the issue, Im not trying to screw the system. You seem to think I am posting so I can argue about what happened. Yes I slipped up but do I deserve the fine that I will have to incur?? Of course you will say yes because that is your attitude. I can prove with phone records that I have rang the DVLA every second day for the last 2 months. So Furtzy give me a break and stop being a know all with your HIGH HORSE attitude, go for a tea break!!

Not a civil servant....do you have something against them? You never did tell us what your fantastic motor was that caused such a jealous reaction from the cop which was one of the stupiest statements I've heard in a while.

Of course you deserve the fine. All you had to do was wait until you had the correct documentation and pay the VRT and then drive the car. Its not rocket science. You are the one with the high horse attitude as you think you above the law and that you are so special and need to be treated differently. So go for a tea break yourself or maybe someone should bring it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yes I slipped up but do I deserve the fine that I will have to incur??

Whether you "deserve" or or not isn't really the issue, the fact of the matter is that it is illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered car.

You got caught, they will make you pay :D

(And don't try to tell me that you didn't know that there was a chance that this might happen when you started driving this car anyway)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

First off, you don't need to go back to the UK for 6 months of the year. You need to have permanent ties with the UK, ie, you may be working here for a year and go back every few months. Plus, any car owned by a person living in another country for more then 6 months is exempt from VRT. There are many genuine reasons for a person to be driving a foreign reg car here ligit.
    I have described in detail, my wife's experience with the VRO. Your post is not correct - they may reside here for 6 months and then go home. Taking an occasional trip home isn't enough - it needs to be backed up with bills etc.
    As for owning a car for 6 months before coming here, you must still register with the VRO.
    I do actually believe they are robin hood characters, hell, its ok for the leader of the country to take backhanders, but God forbid someone from the lower classes might try it. I normally don'y condone tax evasion, but VRT is a plain rip off, maybe you should be questioing it instead of those getting away without paying it. And these people are not stealing from me, they are, as far as I am concerned, getting away without paying a tax everyone else just lies down and accepts. If more people objected to it the Gov might consider what a stupid and unfair tax it actually is, however for the meantime we have people like you ensuring we are all compliant with it. You must have such a fullfilling life. Grow up, and rat out some real criminals. Like I said, as far as I'm concerned, its the Gov stealing and ripping us off with VRT, open your eyes to that FFS.
    There is no evidence that the leader of this country has taken backhanders.
    What are you doing about it now - who have you canvassed in the run up to the Lisbon Treaty and next year's local elections?
    If the answer is nobody then, pipe down!
    mikeruurds wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. I live in Stillorgan and I'm a foreigner who pays insurance, tax etc. My neighbours own two Polish reg cars and don't pay a cent. It does my nut.
    Well report them then!
    sports cars and high performance cars are hugely more expensive and combined with VAT safety features on cars become massively more expensive too. For years Irish motorists were driving around in poverty spec cars with little base spec equipment, including safety features that were optional in Ireland but standard everywhere else, all because of VRT. Hopefully the new rules will negate this to a certain extent, and people will stop buying base model cars with poor standard spec. Still though, we have 2K road tax to look forward to on any half decent new sports car. Thank you very much Mr. Gomerly.
    The inflated prices on new cars due to VRT has not stopped people buying them!
    stevec wrote: »
    When the EU outlawed VRT (in it's current form) under "free movement of goods", they invented the new and improved carbon based version.
    The EU did not ban VRT and the tax (in its current form) is still called VRT!
    GavMan wrote: »
    AFAIK, the government pay a fine to the EU every year coz of VRT.
    That should tell you everything you need to know on the wright and wrongs of VRT.
    Each country is free to decide its tax rates and is therefore allowed to have a VRT.
    As for it stopping the movement of goods angle - technically it doesn't stop it!
    The Eu may not like our VRT system but there is sweet FA they can do about it unless they harmonise taxes!
    The car was on private plates in England and there has been alot of trouble trying to get the log book, the previous owner has not yet completed the reg transfer onto his new vehicle. Benn ringing the DVLA nearly every second day to no avail. If I wanted to screw the system 1> I wouldnt be posting here and 2> I wouldnt have got the car taken off me because I would have had an excuse ready my mother would be proud of. I got nailed becasue I told the truth.
    Have you discussed this with the VRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I was in the VRO in March queueing to pay the VRT on my car and a chap in front of me who had come in to pay the VRT on his car did not have the V5 as the person he bought the car off had posted it to the DVLA, the girl in the VRO told him to get in contact with the DVLA and get the V5 sent to him, she told him she would give him a letter just in case he gets pulled by customs or the Gards.
    I cant see how they can enforce the 24hrs rule as if I was to buy a car from the UK and bring it back on a Friday afternoon and lets say its a bank Holiday that means I wont be able to VRT the car till the Tuesday.
    Also with regards to it being illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign registered car. Well then why do insurance companys insure you if its illegal for you to drive it. Also how are you suppose to get it into the country and to the VRO if you cant drive it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The letter is actually fairly common - my boss has one at the moment.
    As for the 24hours - its not 24 hours - its one working day.
    As for the insurance companys covering someone driving a foreign registered vehicle, they don't provide permanent cover - AFAIK they have that to cover people importing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

before I start, I just want to say that I'm not a fan of VRT at all, I hate it in fact, but I did pay it when I imported my car from the UK. €4,000 for the car + €2131 in VRT which is daylight robbery IMHO, but as has been said, it's the law and as much as I hate the idea that it's yet another way for the government to grease us up and give us all a good seeing to, I chose to live in Ireland (from the UK) so I must expect everything that comes with that, from lots of rain to lots of guinness and the craic etc. etc.

I'd heard lots of nasty things about the VRO, but the lady was lovely and as it was an old motor she didn't even want to see it. thge only downside is that the laser machine was broken so i had to get a bankers draft drawn from the bank to pay the fee.

if you live, work and pay tax in Ireland then you are a resident. I'm not an Irish citizen, but I am an irish resident and as much as I hated paying over that money, it was my choice. my choice by buying the car abroad and my choice by living here.

i don't have to like it, but short of challenging it in court (which I'm not willing to do) there's not a lot I can do about it.

that said, I did actually have the same problems as legalbird12 did. The seller of the car had it on a private plate and sent off the docs to swap it back to the old plate just before I went to pick it up after I'd booked the flight over and ferry trip back so it was either a case of 'chance it' or swallow an extra few hundred quid and put off getting it for a few more weeks. I took a chance and didn't get caught, but I'm seeing now from other posts here that it could have gone very badly for me if I'd been caught.

that said, axa had no problems insuring me and it doesn't sound like quinn would have either. I did have insurance on it and UK tax on the vehicle and being from the UK might well have made a difference if I had been caught, but it was still quite a risk all the same. :o

I'm right on the fence with the whole 'paying vrt' thing.

on the one side: half of me believes it's bad and wrong and just an import tax by another name and thinks that the government should spend more resources on reducing revenue wastage than spending them bleeding more out of the taxpayer.

but then there's the other side that believes that the law is the law and we can't just pick and choose what ones we obey and what ones we don't and anyone who doesn't like things the way they are should vote with their feet or actively do something to change things. if you aren't willing to do anything to change the way things are then what right do you have to moan about them?

the world seems to have changed for the worst in the last 10-20 years.

it used to be that if people didn't like the way things were, they'd all get together and change them. didn't matter if it was taxes or government policies or fuel prices or whatever. when something wasn't right people did something about it, but those days seem to have gone. :(

now all that's left is a couple of hippies waving banners at the tara roadworks on a friday afternoon whilst the rest of us moan abut things and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

Many so-called "VRT dodgers" driving UK registered cars that I've heard of are merely waiting until the 1st of July to register them, as the cars will be on a lower rate then. I think this is fair enough, as the government announced 2008 would be the year the VRT changed to reflect lower emissions, then plucked a date (1st July) out of the air, and still drivers are being penalised for jumping on the VRT bandwagon early.

I include myself in the above. I brought in a car in mid-April. I insured it no problem (Quinn Direct) but it's parked around the back of my house until July 1st (which will, I suspect, be an extremely busy day in VROs around the country) To VRT it now would be 30% of the OMSP (€25k according to the revenue - I purchased it for Stg£11,200 from a main dealer with a 1 year warranty that I can transfer to my local dealer should I need 2) My VRT bill will be 20% in July so for a saving of €2500 I am willing to keep it off the road for another 6 weeks, but I don't think it's fair. I've heard of cars being confiscated recently when the drivers are only waiting til July 1st to register them, and TBH I am sympathetic for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

daisychain wrote: »
    I include myself in the above. I brought in a car in mid-April. I insured it no problem (Quinn Direct) but it's parked around the back of my house until July 1st (which will, I suspect, be an extremely busy day in VROs around the country) To VRT it now would be 30% of the OMSP (€25k according to the revenue - I purchased it for Stg£11,200 from a main dealer with a 1 year warranty that I can transfer to my local dealer should I need 2) My VRT bill will be 20% in July so for a saving of €2500 I am willing to keep it off the road for another 6 weeks, but I don't think it's fair. I've heard of cars being confiscated recently when the drivers are only waiting til July 1st to register them, and TBH I am sympathetic for them.

I thought that anyone registering their cars before July 1st had a choice of old or new systems? If I'm right, then the above argument is BS. If I'm wrong, I humbly apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fey! wrote: »
    I thought that anyone registering their cars before July 1st had a choice of old or new systems? If I'm right, then the above argument is BS. If I'm wrong, I humbly apologise.
    That applies to 2008 cars only. And only in relation to road tax. There are threads here with all the info.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 betty*boo

how were the drivers on the M50 meant to get home...walk down the M50? was often tempted to just abandon and go on my feet?.probably a lot quicker!!!
    whats the toll for a pedestrian??!

betty*boo wrote: »
    how were the drivers on the M50 meant to get home...walk down the M50? was often tempted to just abandon and go on my feet?.probably a lot quicker!!!

Depends what size you are and if you are carrying a bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

betty*boo wrote: »

A huge fine as pedestrians are not allowed.

shamboo wrote: »

Lovely attitude, glorifying criminals. You don't happen to think Berties "a lovely man" and Liam Lawlor "ah sure did nothing wrong" by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Several.....actually the majority

Happy days :D

A few more of these checkpoints with the same MO required so to take the number of LHD's off the road.

Two LV Audi A8's and a PL reg'd 5 series on my estate for as long as I can remember :rolleyes:

I've read people mentioning about a dv form with the car details on it that you bring to the vro when reg'ing the imported car. I bought a bmw and have the car parked up while I was waiting for this form, or a log book or whatever I was going to get but nothing came. I rang the dv office in the uk and they said they don't send forms to Ireland. My question, how the hell do I register a car that I have absolutely no documentation for?????
    It was a private sale and I paid cash so I've no idea what to do.
    Do I just go to the vro and say I just bought the car and I want to reg it in Ireland but I got no paperwork??

the person who sold it to you is supposed to send off ONLY the part of the V5 that states that the car is being exported. you take the rest of the form with you when you take the car.

in my case where the V5 was with the DVLA when I picked the car up having it's plates changed back to the old one (so he could keep his private plate), I had to wait for the form to come back to him and then he sent it on to me minus the export part which he posted back to the DVLA. you'd want to be VERY sure that he was going to send you the forms tho or you'll be stuck. ;)

when you take it to the VRO here, you give them the V5 so they can register you to get your irish plates and your pockets emptied and (afaik) they send those forms back to the DVLA in the UK once the whole process is complete.

that said, it's being a good few weeks since i registered mine and i still didn't hear anything back from the VRO or get my irish documents. does anyone know how long it normally takes for your Irish registration paperwork to come back once you've been to the VRO?

So if you've been waiting a few weeks how have you been able to tax and have the plates changed on yours. No doubt they've taken the vrt from you already!!

• Advertisement

well my intention was to tax it online when they sent me the new docs, but I think I'm stuck without them until the come through. according to the motortax website, the form I need is the RF100 which the VRO should be sending me, but nothing yet.

I might just call the motortax office and see if they'll do it over the phone. I can't see why they need all this PIN number nonsense, it's not like someones going to go around randomly paying people motortax online for them is it? you'd think having the registration number and insurance policy would be enough?

they do give you a printed form with your new registration on it though and you just take that to your nearest motor factors and get them to make up a set of plates for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement