Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ballymun Garda checkpoint

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 shamboo

Well thanks for your help. Off to lighten my pocket by a couple of grand then. Fingers crossed they'll be gentle with me!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, as long as you have the main part of the V5 with you, you should be grand, that's all they wanted off me.

esp. if you have an older car (if it's a couple of grand I'm guessing it probably is) they probably won't even ask to see it. mines a 96 pajero bought for 4k and vrt'd for just over 2k and they didn't even want to see it.

one thing tho, they normally don't/can't accept cash. i was planning on paying with laser at my local VRO in navan but they haven't had their laser yokes working since they moved offices a few weeks back, so i had to get a total off them then get that drawn as a bankers draft and take it back to finish up.

oh, and good luck. ;)

i was nice, pleasant and friendly to the woman there and she was equally so back to me and aside from giving her a load of money it was actually a pleasant experience.

EDIT: just got home and there's a receipt come in the post for my paid VRT, but still no paperwork. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

furtzy wrote: »

Could she not simply park it up until its VRT'ed etc?

Nope, the Revenue can still enter your private drive way and haul the car away! Even if you are still waiting for paperwork. That is harsh.

@Kbannon, I have every intention of speaking to any canvesser RE VRT when they speak to me about lisbon, I'm in the middle of exams at the moment so don't have time to be crafting perfectly worded emails that TD's might pay attention to. As I said, the next car I buy will be after I move to the UK so VRT won't effect me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

astraboy wrote: »
    As I said, the next car I buy will be after I move to the UK so VRT won't effect me. :D

Nope you'll just pay extra fuel tax instead....£1.20stg unleaded. You won't be able to avoid that tax :D

can't wait till the government brings out a smug soapbox tosser tax. the forum will be a lot quieter that day. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

vibe666 wrote: »
    can't wait till the government brings out a smug soapbox tosser tax. the forum will be a lot quieter that day. :rolleyes:

Yeah! well until that day comes we will stick to the existing laws whether we like them or not and hope that customs and excise snag as many tax dodgers as possible!

There is nothing smug about people paying their taxes, it's called the law, when it's done on a system where you have to pay it yourself it known as common decency, which a lot of people on here seem to lack.

Just noticed your location , a tight Navan man, well I never!

Nope you'll just pay extra fuel tax instead....£1.20stg unleaded. You won't be able to avoid that tax :D

Perfect. I'm a total advocate of removing road tax and taxing fuel instead. Way fairer. I'll be getting busses and tubes to work so it'll be a weekend car really. In fact my alfa is a weekend car nearly at this stage, yet I still pay over 400E a year to only drive it 3 days a week. Fuel tax is the way forward, you pay as you go and no one can con the system.

Edit: Just read this. Off topic I know
    KBANNON wrote:
    There is no evidence that the leader of this country has taken backhanders.

Sure, the money was "Resting" in his account and he decided to take out money to renovate his constituency office in cash, and transfer it to sterling or some such nonsense. Amazing how the normal people are forced under duress to pat VRT, bordering on extortion, while if your a TD/minister you can get away with most things and it only results in an expensive(for the state) tribunal with no convictions.

With VRT there is no direct way to prove your innocence and its up to the particular cop/customs officer. Guilty until proven innocent.

Victor_M wrote: »
    There is nothing smug about people paying their taxes, it's called the law, when it's done on a system where you have to pay it yourself it known as common decency, which a lot of people on here seem to lack.
    so it's common decency when your government f**ks you to bend over and take it is it?
    Just noticed your location , a tight Navan man, well I never!
    lile most of the people living in Navan, I'm not a Navan man. I just can't afford to live in Dublin and have to commute, thanks again to the government f**king people over with the high cost of living.

I think I found this dv form in with the bmw manual and old mot forms that the chap had that I bought the car from. It's a small green slip of paper with the car details on it. Is this the right one? Another question, there is no date written on the form so would it be possible for me to put todays date on it when paying the vrt even though I have the car a couple of weeks? I just don't want to get stung for anymore cause it's a high spec '01 BMW and someone has told me that the quote on the vrt site is for a bog standard model. This has everything from mfsw, half leather seats and m3 wheels!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

so it's common decency when your government f**ks you to bend over and take it is it?

lile most of the people living in Navan, I'm not a Navan man. I just can't afford to live in Dublin and have to commute, thanks again to the government f**king people over with the high cost of living.

You can qualify your actions however you please, it doesn't make it right.

The government is greedy, ineffective, callous and incompetent. That doesn't excuse any of us from paying tax. You won't pay it, fine. The rest of us have to make the shortfall as the rates rise. Your idea has the benefit of giving you a few extra bob a year cheating the taxman, and the disadvantage that your other taxes may rise (and thus everyone elses) because a few ****s cheated the taxman out of few quid. The selfishness of modern Irish people is frankly, disgusting. They can justify anything as long as they get something out of it, doesn't matter how many others they negatively affect by it.

• Advertisement

maoleary wrote: »
    You can qualify your actions however you please, it doesn't make it right.
    it never ceases to amaze me how many people on internet forums know how to write, but don't seem to be able to read. :rolleyes:

there are several posts by me on this very page of the thread mentioning that I ALREADY PAID MY VRT, doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it.

just for that you can pay double on the soap box tosser tax. :p

it's really not hard to justify avoiding a tax that was renamed by the government so they could avoid having to abolish an illegal import tax under european free trade laws. even more so when you look at how much tax revenue the government squanders at every turn. we pay things like VRT and other high taxes to make up for their incompetence. I have no problem with anyone who trys to avoid that especially when you read about the people earning the most money getting big tax breaks while the little guy keeps getting shafted.

someone mentioned higher taxes on fuel if VRT was abolished? bring it on. come to think of it, include the cost of road tax in that too. At least that way the people using the road the most will pay more tax for it. the current system is exceptionally unfair in that regard.

Perfect. I'm a total advocate of removing road tax and taxing fuel instead. Way fairer.

Wouldn't work here with the border. People from the 6 counties already avoid their fuel tax by buying their petrol in the south. Same thing thing could apply in reverse if the governement in the south adopted the same regime. In the 80's and early 90's everyone in the border areas bought their petrol in North so the Irish government would have lost a shed load of revenue if a fuel levy was applied.

This thread is going around and around......it was simply started to highlight the fact that the gardai have started the long overdue process of removing illegal cars from the road instead of turning a blind eye which surely everyone can admit is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Nope, the Revenue can still enter your private drive way and haul the car away! Even if you are still waiting for paperwork. That is harsh.

Are you serious?? That seems a bit much? Can you back that up?

What if you brought a car in on a trailer - not using public roads?

What if you take off the reg of the car in your drive way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I too would be happier with that. I bought a new car a few weeks ago and I checked the VRT calculator for a laugh. 12 fcuking grand the thieving money grabbing government fcukers would take off me for it. Disgraceful.

MrP

you'd probably want it to not be visible from the road if you wanted to be sure they're not going to take it.

i would imagine that (in their eyes at least) if you don't want to pay VRT before the changeover you shouldn't be bringing your car into the country till after it.

like i said though, it's not something I agree with at all, it's all very much a "dick turpin" approach to over taxation.

If you have the car off the road and not visible and take it to the vro after a couple of weeks is there any way that the can find out the date that you purchased the car? My v5 form has no date of sale on it so I could just write the date on it that I'm going to register it. Will this work?

shamboo wrote: »
    If you have the car off the road and not visible and take it to the vro after a couple of weeks is there any way that the can find out the date that you purchased the car? My v5 form has no date of sale on it so I could just write the date on it that I'm going to register it. Will this work?

It doesn't matter when you purchased the car - think about it. The car could have been not driven on Irish roads (or left in the UK if you want to go that far)

you'd probably want it to not be visible from the road if you wanted to be sure they're not going to take it.

i would imagine that (in their eyes at least) if you don't want to pay VRT before the changeover you shouldn't be bringing your car into the country till after it.

like i said though, it's not something I agree with at all, it's all very much a "dick turpin" approach to over taxation.

Again, can you back this up with any documentation/links?

If you ask me, the car doesn't need to be VRT'd until it's actually used as a car. so if it's just sitting in a driveway not being driven it should be ok. Is there a flaw in this logic?

I'm looking for someone with facts here, not speculation.

I don't understand what your saying. Someone could bring a car into Ireland let's say in January and not register it until December hence saving a fortune in vrt!!

I don't understand what your saying. Someone could bring a car into Ireland let's say in January and not register it until December hence saving a fortune in vrt!!

Yes - if they don't drive it.

• Advertisement

Ok! You seem to know what your talking about. Another question. Can they vro find out when you imported the car and can they check up on mileage to see if you were using it?

Ok! You seem to know what your talking about. Another question. Can they vro find out when you imported the car and can they check up on mileage to see if you were using it?

Well, I'm open to correction on this. This is my interpretation of the law.

To be honest, I don't think there's any way for them to prove that you did, say, 2000 miles on Irish roads. Who's to say that you didn't do the 2000 miles since purchasing the car on UK roads? There's nobody from the VRO on the ferry checking your cars mileage if that's what you mean?

However, if you are driving the car on Irish roads without VRTing it you're running the risk of hitting a checkpoint and getting the car taken off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you ask me, the car doesn't need to be VRT'd until it's actually used as a car. so if it's just sitting in a driveway not being driven it should be ok. Is there a flaw in this logic?

The law is that you have to VRT the vehicle on the next working day following importation.

I brought in a camper once on a Friday and discovered a serious hidden fault on the Sunday ...so I was going to bring it back (after a lot of wrangling with the seller)

Informed the VRT people about this on the Monday, and they had no problem with me not VTR'ing it, even though it sat on my drive for another three months before everything was sorted and it left the country again.

Excellent, I feel a bit better now. I got a great deal on a bmw and I didn't want to let it go so I bought it and decided I'd worry about the vrt when I got home(no doubt I'll be chastised over that by someone on this site, can't afford the vrt don't buy the car!!!!) but anyway, I was worried that I could get caught with mileage cause being honest I did drive it around for a few days when I got back just showing friends and that and getting new tyres but you've put my mind at ease a bit.
    Thanks for the advise.

I didn't do my VRT immediately, but there were no Irish records of the mileage done before, during or after I bought it into the country other than what I told her the mileage was when she asked in the VRO office when I went in to pay the VRT (remember, it's an old motor so she didn't even come out to look at it) so I think you're free and clear in that regard.

I seem to remember from a thread on here that a few years ago that there was a clampdown on people buying new cars in the UK and then doing 6k miles on them here (so they were no longer classed as brand new) before registering them with the VRO to save themselves having to pay the full whack of VRT (and VAT too iirc) so I don't think there's any way they can tell unless they catch you before you VRT it.

You say about it being an old motor so they don't check. Is that always the case? I got a '01 318se full spec and the omp is €11,000+ on the vrt website and the vrt is €2,900. On autotrader there going for €19,000. Could they lump even more on me than what they've quoted on the vrt calculator? I mean being honest the car looks like new and people can't believe I have it for so cheap. I know I shouldn't be moaning seen as I got such a good deal but I hate the thought of giving them more that need be.

MrPudding wrote: »
    I too would be happier with that. I bought a new car a few weeks ago and I checked the VRT calculator for a laugh. 12 fcuking grand the thieving money grabbing government fcukers would take off me for it. Disgraceful.

MrP

Disgusting I know, but "its the law, we should all bend over and take it with a big smile" according to some people on this thread! Shar why bother questioning it because its the law. So much for the Irish fighting sprit. Like I said I hate tax evasion, especially when some of our leaders were clearly at it, yet VRT is just another way for the motorist to be screwed. I pay all my taxes BTW(for the high horse bandits) but that does'nt mean I have to agree with VRT nor the gestapo way it is enforced. Hauling people out of their cars like a bunch of Nazi'd for not paying a farcical tax is way OTT. Only worse are the smug bastard laughing at others misfortune.

There was a time when condoms and even being homosexual were Illegal in Ireland, not that long ago in fact. Should everyone have obeyed those laws too without question becasue "its the law"?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Disgusting I know, but "its the law, we should all bend over and take it with a big smile" according to some people on this thread! Shar why bother questioning it because its the law. So much for the Irish fighting sprit. Like I said I hate tax evasion, especially when some of our leaders were clearly at it, yet VRT is just another way for the motorist to be screwed. I pay all my taxes BTW(for the high horse bandits) but that does'nt mean I have to agree with VRT nor the gestapo way it is enforced. Hauling people out of their cars like a bunch of Nazi'd for not paying a farcical tax is way OTT. Only worse are the smug bastard laughing at others misfortune.

There was a time when condoms and even being homosexual were Illegal in Ireland, not that long ago in fact. Should everyone have obeyed those laws too without question becasue "its the law"?

here here !!!!
    nice rant.

But VRT is unfair and a stupidly high tax on the poor old motorist. If you can get away with it, fair play to you

Like I said I hate tax evasion

Make up your mind

• Advertisement

Make up your mind

I already said VRT was the exception that proves the rule as far as I am concerend. Taking pieces of my posts out of context proves nothing. People eveding corporation tax, income tax etc I hate, but anyone getting away without VRT is only screwing over a Gov. that is attempting to screw them over in the first place. Vrt is grossly unfair, end of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement