Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaking out, dead rodent type thing in outside drain

Options
  • 11-05-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Too freaked out to know if i'm posting in right place.Ugh, been getting strong smell from kitchen sink lately. Just discovered the problem, dead rodent type thing in drain right outside kitchen window. cant lift the grill thing, I really need help here. What am i goin to do, and how the **** did it get there. Country living has its drawbacks UGH PLEASE ADVISE ME:mad: Just dawned on me, could it or others come up the pipe into the sink? Jez I'm really freaking out now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Come on people surely someone can help me out here, pleeaasse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

it's dead! you gotta lift the trap, take him out and bag him... gloves/ clothes peg on nose recommended. dump him out a remote field/forest!(without the bag) is there another drain leading into this drain? hemight have got in there:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Cant lift the grill, clicked in place, Mod can you bump me to D.I.Y please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i'd bust it with a hammer and replace later??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Use something to force the grill, and use a shovel if you have one to lift the dead fella. You could wrap him in a plastic bag and into your refuse bin, if you'd rather not leave him in a field close to you as this may attract more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Grilles should lift up easily enough, and if you break it only cost about € 9.00 for a replacement. Otherwise try flushing as follows:
    Fill sink with water and also have a bucket of water ready as well. You should be able to flush it down into drain by unplugging sink and pouring water simultaneously.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Grilles should lift up easily enough, and if you break it only cost about € 9.00 for a replacement. Otherwise try flushing as follows:
    Fill sink with water and also have a bucket of water ready as well. You should be able to flush it down into drain by unplugging sink and pouring water simultaneously.

Good luck.
    I don't think attempting to flush the remains is a good idea. It will probably just cause a blockage and be more difficult to remove.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The grille should lift. They're not really supposed to be installed so that they don't lift, because then you can't clear out blockages, so if it won't lift, break it, remove the dead rodent thing and then replace it.

Once it's gone, give your sink a thorough clean - depends what you want to put down your drains, but I'd be surprised if a dead rodent outside your window in a vented drain was making your sink smell in the house. It's more likely to be sludge in the u-bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Closed because hairymolly has posted the same thread on the Ladies Lounge and eventually fixed it herself by removing the dead thing. Hip hip etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement