Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VNC Software

• 11-05-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for software for a small business. Basically I'd like to remotely access any computer which may have a problem from one PC for support etc.

Basically I'd like to give each computer an individual number which would be stuck to the side of the PC and if there is any issues the person could ring me quote the PC number and I could log in by typing the PC number and nothing else - is any software this easy to use available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Would you have access to their network, i.e - can you VPN in to either the network or a single computer?

From there you can access the computers using Remote Desktop Connection which is built in Windows machines (remote assistance / connection)

The downside I think is that only one user can be logged in at a time, which would mean the office worker won't be able to see what you're doing on screen, but you would be able to fix it.

If thats not an option, I've used TightVNC in the past, along with the Mirage driver for improved performance.

Regarding the easness of the software, VNC requires an IP and user/pass from your end, and would purely need the end user to quote the IP address, or just the last part - e.g 192.168.1.101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Hi zAbbo

Don't fully understand your answer - apologies...

Basically all the computers are hooked up to a central server... If any collegues have issues I'd like to be able to show them on screen how to fix etc.

Also one PC will be on the whole time (play out PC) if something happens to this I'd like to be able to log in from home if that makes sense...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sorry, I think I've confused things, will you be fixing the PC's locally or remotely?

For showing colleagues how to fix, use TightVNC, it's quite lightweight and runs in the background, and is really simple to use.

There are 2 questions you have

1. Which local solution to use

2. Remote login from home

Generally all remote software will work once you have established a connection to the local network, I don't know what your setup is, you could either VPN in, or port forward RDC to the always on PC/Server, then VNC to other machines as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

I'd like access them both internally and externally.

Another issue is that staff computers will have only certain priviledges when i log in could I have my full priviledges?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you move the mouse over the vnc icon then it will list the IP address

you can use runas to gain elevated privilages on the client once you connect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I use logmein to connect to my office computers, it allows you to control or see what is going on, and its free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The enterprise version of realvnc is useful, if you are not put off by paying.
    You can just scan the network and remote deploy the vnc client without messing around with psexec, or going machine to machine.

Then the clients are listed by hostname, right click and connect with the deployment tool.

So all the user would have to tell you would be the hostname, which could be labeled on the side of the machine. The hostnames might be changed to a standard format of your choice.

It should be less hassle than using the IP addresses and having to register each MAC with the DHCP server/ set each to static ip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

VNC is indeed good, but not really suited if you want to connect from outside the office too. (are you sure you don't just want to log in remotely to use the office connection for downloading? :P)

You could always go for a remote-support thing like Webex (http://www.webex.com/smb/remote-support-software.html). Our support department use it here and it's not too bad from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

would radmin suit? yeah you have to pay for it but it allows you to create AD groups so when you sign in if you are a domain admin you get admin rights. also you don't get the issue with the screen not changing wone the mouse or scroll like in VNC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

VNC is grand even when you take control from Home, providing you have VPN access then access the Pc's over the LAN IP address...

Works quite well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Looking for software for a small business. Basically I'd like to remotely access any computer which may have a problem from one PC for support etc.

are they xp+ workstations? if so why not just use remote desktop, its free :)

Second option is Dameware Mini Remote Control, its not free but relatively cheap. installs the client remotely too.

if you are handy with the command line, use psexec. i find it infinitely better for server administration.

As for the "computer number" you could use bginfo http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx to place the ipaddress on the desktop wallpaper, then they could just quote that to you :) cuts out all the shíte of changing ip's etc.
    Another issue is that staff computers will have only certain priviledges when i log in could I have my full priviledges?

as for the limited user rights, use runas /user:domain\username cmd from cmd once connected to the pc. from a command prompt there is very little you cant do/launch:

Computer management: compmgmt.msc
    msconfig:Start msconfig
    add remove programs: appwiz.cpl
    system properties: sysdm.cpl
    services: services.msc

etc

Advertisement