Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exams delayed to September:any penalization because of that?

Options
  • 11-05-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi I'm studying part-time Computing at DIT, and because of personal reason I hadn't enough time to prepare the exams and I'm thinking to attend all of them (are 6) in September.
    My concern is, do I get any penalization in the mark for attending the exams in September and not in May?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no, but attempt them in May, you can make your job easier in September if you pass even just one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You could talk to the course head about a re-sit. you could take the exams
    at a later date as a first sitting unlike the repeat exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

You could also fill out a Personal Circumstance form, this would take into account your situation when your being marked.Talk to SU about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I missed an exam once. (I slept in!) Since I missed it completely it did not count as an attempt.

Unfortunately however I had to pay for the September examination the same as if it were a repeat. (50 euros at the time, I think it's gone up to 55)

So 6 * 55 = 330 euros. Definitely not worth it. Listen to joeybloggs who speaks great wisdom, fill out a Personal Circumstance form.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

If you have to repeat all of them its not €55 per exam its €55 regardless if your repeating one exam or ten exams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iUseVi wrote: »
    I missed an exam once. (I slept in!) Since I missed it completely it did not count as an attempt.

ahah yeh i remember that, was hilarious, the whole class was doing the post-exam post-mortem outside gleeson hall and in you waltz in.

then it was straight to the cornerstone (before it turned bad) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Cremo wrote: »
    then it was straight to the cornerstone (before it turned bad) :D

That place was never good. Now the feckers are charging nearly a fiver for a pint! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spupazza

joeybloggs wrote: »
    You could also fill out a Personal Circumstance form, this would take into account your situation when your being marked.Talk to SU about it.

Well to be honest, my father died in January. I was absent for all february plus several absences during march and April.
    The director of the course as the teachers are aware about that. I even brought a certificate for that.
    I barely managed to do the assignments and still I have to finish 2.
    I have no idea of what really the teachers and Director think about that, as I got anyway penalizations for bringing late some assignment.
    The fact is that this is the last year and very decisive for the grade.
    So it's not matter of a week or 2 ,it's a matter that I would prefer to quietly prepare the exams during the summer.
    I don't mind if I'll pay 55 euro of fee, I just want to be sure I won't get penalization on the results (as example:only 80% or 40% of the mark..).
    I just want to be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

If you fill out a personal circumstances form there's a good chance you will be allowed to sit the exams in late august/early september as a first sitting i.e you would not be penalized. Get a doctor to verify you were stressed etc, a doctor's note is a big plus.

Otherwise it will be at the discretion of your department head, and if the exams in sept are classed as repeats it will impact your overall final mark, and you may be limited to a pass grade no matter what your score. If it wasn't your final year it wouldn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭ModeSkeletor

This is a crazy idea! Those exams in september aren't a 2nd set of exams for you to choose, they are repeats. Which usually means you will not get a percentage grade for them, and be marked "PASS" or "FAIL". If you pass the grade will be exactly 40%. This is a quote directly from my course document:
    For the purposes of calculating the overall award at the end of the programme, a student repeating any component of any module will be credited with a maximum grade of 40% for that module. This will ensure that the stage average cannot be improved upon by a repeating student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spupazza

This is a crazy idea! Those exams in september aren't a 2nd set of exams for you to choose, they are repeats. Which usually means you will not get a percentage grade for them, and be marked "PASS" or "FAIL". If you pass the grade will be exactly 40%. This is a quote directly from my course document:

The fact is that actually it would not be a repetition for me, it would be the first time as I will not attend the exams in May.Anyway I'm going to speak today with the director of my course directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Yes but only if the exam is actually classed as a repeat. In certain circumstances, such as serious personal difficulties, illness etc, you can be allowed to sit August/Sept exams as a first sitting, meaning you get your full mark. This is at the discretion of the department head and would be assessed on a case by case basis, normally you'd have to submit a personal circumstances form which can be got from the exams office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I am sitting an exam in September as a first sitting because I missed one at christmass after totalling my car the week of exams. They were very accomdating of it in Bolton St and it will not effect my grades at all i.e. no penalties. I did have a doctors cert and a personel circumstances form.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Hey spupazza, as far as I know, if you've been having a hard time, fill out the personal circumstances form and if its accepted, you're still eligible for honours in the exams in September. If you simply just dont turn up to your exams now, you will be classed as a repeat student and no matter how well you actually do in the paper, you are eligible for no more than a pass grade i.e 40%. So fill out that form as soon as possible with supporting docs and you'll be grand. They'll be very understanding. Good Luck.

Advertisement