Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies freaking out here HELP

Options
  • 11-05-2008 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I posted a while ago in gardening forum but no response. Just hoping other ladies out there like me. been geting bad smell outa sink lately. Well as i was out watering plants I discovered dead thing in drain outside kitchen window. At first it looked like a rodent type thing now it kinda looks like a bird :eek: cant figure out. Thing is cant lift up grill thing. Poured parazone down drain, but seriously cant wait around till the 'thing' disintegrates. Ladies I'm desperate:( any advice reeaally appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring a company that specialses in drains to clear it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Thaedydal those guys cost a fortune, the grill thing seems to be clicked into place, I dont want to break it by forcing it, surely someone can advise me how to get the grill off without breaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

hairymolly wrote: »
    I posted a while ago in gardening forum but no response. Just hoping other ladies out there like me. been geting bad smell outa sink lately. Well as i was out watering plants I discovered dead thing in drain outside kitchen window. At first it looked like a rodent type thing now it kinda looks like a bird :eek: cant figure out. Thing is cant lift up grill thing. Poured parazone down drain, but seriously cant wait around till the 'thing' disintegrates. Ladies I'm desperate:( any advice reeaally appreciated.

You may have to crack the little bits of concrete around the grill to get it out. As far as I know, they are meant to be freely accessed at anytime anyway, in case an emergency arises?

Is there anyone around to give you a hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Maybe if you took a photo of the grill so people knew what type it was ?

c - 13 wrote: »
    Maybe if you took a photo of the grill so people knew what type it was ?

right on the money, phone pic or dig-camera pic.

I get the feeling its one of those skinny grills the OP means. but just incase..

• Advertisement

Its just a plastic type grill with 4 click ins, top, bottom and 2 on sides, does'nt look like it was meant to be removed, without breaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just a thought, but what if you spray down a load of oven cleaner; ideally one of the stronger mixes. Once the bird is above the water it should be able to burn through the flesh (not sure about the bones though) so it'll get rid of the smell.

Yes, it know it's a bit unorthodox, but in theory it should work, and my excuse is I'm a bloke so I shouldn't be here anyway!!

Not really sure about the environmental impact of spraying oven cleaner down the drain but f*ck it you have something dead down there already.

Problem is that I have a Bio septic tank and harsh chemicals could cause problems. Catch 22, maybe Mod should bump me to Green issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

go inside,crack open a bottle of wine ,continue to get nicely plastered,then armed with shovel smash the grid and pull out dead thing!
    as ur nicely plastered no smell or object will come in your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

You'd want to get rid of it cos it may attact more unwanted guests. Did you not try to force the grill, use a shovel and you wont have to pick it up with you hands.

If you've no success, call the council where ever you live in the morning, and they may be able to help you out

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    Just a thought, but what if you spray down a load of oven cleaner; ideally one of the stronger mixes. Once the bird is above the water it should be able to burn through the flesh (not sure about the bones though) so it'll get rid of the smell.

^ That made me lol

Tbh though HM, I've a feeling that if you called someone out, theyd break and repleace the grill. I mean if you can still see the bird, it seems like the easiest method. Is it like one you might see in the hardware?

Can anyone else confirm my point about drainage coverings / grills?

Afaik, they have to be easily accessed in case of emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

1. Go to Woodie's or similar and buy a replacement grill of the same dimensions, get rubber gloves, plastic bag and a crowbar from your car, lever off grill whilst wearing rubber gloves, deposit corpse in plastic bag, wheelie bin the lot. Apply new grille, have shot of preferred beverage.

2.Relax.

go inside,crack open a bottle of wine ,continue to get nicely plastered,then armed with shovel smash the grid and pull out dead thing!
    as ur nicely plastered no smell or object will come in your way!

:eek: I plan to do just that. I just went out armed with gloves and thongs:o fire thongs, twisted the pipe to the side and UGH lifted the f***** out UGH IT WAS'NT A BIRD, IT WAS'NT A PLANE, LOOKED LIKE A SMALL RAT UGH UGH Problem now is since there is a river nearby, and the fact it fell in!!!??? whats to stop one of its relatives from actually coming up the pipe :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

It's very likely there's more where he came from, you'd want to take rat-stopping measures asap! Well done tho!

Abigayle wrote: »
    ^ That made me lol

If that made you laugh, my first was to trying pouring some petrol down.

Think I need to find the "Not acting your shoe size forum".

If it's rats, you'll need to do something alright, investing in a few bait boxes would be a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

well done molly
    dunno how to stop em though.. :o

:eek: I plan to do just that. I just went out armed with gloves and thongs:o fire thongs, twisted the pipe to the side and UGH lifted the f***** out UGH IT WAS'NT A BIRD, IT WAS'NT A PLANE, LOOKED LIKE A SMALL RAT UGH UGH Problem now is since there is a river nearby, and the fact it fell in!!!??? whats to stop one of its relatives from actually coming up the pipe :eek:

On your trip to Woodie's also buy very fine wire mesh - like chicken wire only much finer - and cover all exposed pipe endings etc. with it. Use nylon cable ties to secure it in place and this will stop any nasties getting up drainpipes. This is a big problem with the wildlife where I grew up (in Oz), and this always worked!

Thanks everyone, its hard to take measures living in the country side, especially with a river nearby. Anyone know if they can come up the pipe into kitchen sink? UGH :(i'm cringing at the thought.

allabouteve thanks for that, looks like its the way to go UGH cant stop saying that. I feel so invaded. Do you know can they come up the drain into the sink?

It'd be unlikely.

• Advertisement

Anyone got a bag of cats to give to a loving home :) No offence meant by the 'bag' part, seriously though it might be the only route to go. Only thing is we have lots of pheasants nesting nearby, would the cats kill the little ones?

allabouteve thanks for that, looks like its the way to go UGH cant stop saying that. I feel so invaded. Do you know can they come up the drain into the sink?

And up the pipe into your loo....yes, really!!!!

Gillo wrote: »
    It'd be unlikely.

Exactly. I assume have the standard plug hole. he wouldnt get in. Do you have a couple of those ultra sonic pest deterrents.

I second the wine first, problem second motion :pac:
    Shh, she wont be able to sleep tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sharkie2008

you'll creep us all out saying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Did he look like this ? If so you have nothing to worry about no way he'll fit up the pipes to your toilet :D

If your worried about them get some bait boxes and "Storm" bait blocks (dont leave the blocks lying around on their own in case someones pet eats them). You can buy both of these in most hardware stores.

Also although its possible that a rat could get into the toilet from outside its very, very unlikely. The bore of the pipe is reasonably small and the pipes would be very slick from constant water to make it difficult for them to climb up into the toilet. Also add the slickness to the fact that theres a fair amount of vertical piping to make it even more difficult.

No to say they couldnt make it if they really tried. There was some guy on the Nature/Wildlife board that says he saw a rat walking along the telephone lines outside his house.

Anyone got a bag of cats to give to a loving home :) No offence meant by the 'bag' part, seriously though it might be the only route to go. Only thing is we have lots of pheasants nesting nearby, would the cats kill the little ones?

Don't want to freak you out again Hairymolly, but cats sometimes give you little 'gifts' and sometimes those 'gifts aren't quite dead.......!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Don't want to freak you out again Hairymolly, but cats sometimes give you little 'gifts' and sometimes those 'gifts aren't quite dead.......!

+1. I had a cat once who used to show how much she loved me by bringing 'gifts' into the house in the middle of the night, waking me up and killing them in front of me. No matter how many times i told her that i'd really prefer some jewellery, or a box of chocolates....cats!

Hairymolly, i hope you're feeling a lot more relaxed now after a few drinks and justifiably proud of yourself - go you!

Ok thats it, wont sleep a wink tonight, the vino is not working :D yet. WHAAT WAS THAT:confused: Had a wonderful collie dog that loved to bring a collection of dead animals eg rat, toad and ancient wellie... lol my son and I were playing badminton, in the countryside,:D our lawn:D actually field, when I spotted the collie heading towards us with a trophy in her mouth :eek: I shouted at my son to run to the house, meanwhile shouting at the dog to **** off, the faster we ran the more the collie liked the chase to the door :eek: Could'nt have the trophy right outside the door, so with trepidation and the help of my son to park it on the shovel, I disposed of it, except our collie had an attachement and duly brought back her trophy, I tink mbe d vino effect takin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, we're done. I'll lock the thread on the Gardening forum as well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement