Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

E-Journals

• 11-05-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some help regarding the E-Journals available via the library website. Before now I've had no problem accessing journals...
    Today I was pointed towards a certain journal; Nature Journals Online (nature.com). Every time I try to access something on the site it asks me to login with my user and pass, both which I naturally don't have.
    I've tried installing off campus access, which didn't work, I also tried to navigate to the site via UCD Connect (as the library site suggests), which also didn't work. Creating an account with Athens and logging in just provided another brick wall... I'm actually posting this for a friend, they need a certain article to finish off an essay, so would anyone have any ideas to help out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I have had problems with JSTOR of late, accessing it through the library website should work, if not you may have to do it on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I've got in, no problem. I just went to 'Log In' and when the page loaded, I clicked on 'Athens Log In'. I was redirected to the UCD Library page, clicked on the link and inserted my UCD Connect username and password.

If you're still having problems, what is the year, date, issue and page numbers of the article? I can send you an attachment of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious (I don't mean to patronise, just mentioning it in case) but have you clicked the Athens login link under the login button on the login screen. I'm off campus and it's working fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm actually on campus myself. Personally I don't have an Athens login, but my girlfriend does (shes having the problem). When she tries to log in to the Nature Journals with her Athens details, it just returns her to their home page with no completed log in.
    Chakar wrote:
    If you're still having problems, what is the year, date, issue and page numbers of the article? I can send you an attachment of it.

Thanks a lot. I've been trying this for ages now. The paper details are:
    1980 Nature, 288, 329-333

Doing what you said above, clicking on login doesn't redirect me to the UCD Library page, but just back to the Nature.com page. Quite frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It's not allowing me access to the article or indeed any of the articles. I had just initially logged in there but it's not allowing me access to the articles. There's something wrong with the Library subscription. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Chakar wrote: »
    It's not allowing me access to the article or indeed any of the articles. I had just initially logged in there but it's not allowing me access to the articles. There's something wrong with the Library subscription. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

No problem at all, and thank you very much trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Weird. It let me in last week. Won't work for me either now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I've just accessed loads of papers, several off Nature which worked fine (I'm at home btw). Some papers are just restricted. It's the same on Blackwell-Synergy, lots of their older, archived papers you can't seem to access.

Your mates best bet is to read the abstract and jump to a few semi-knowledgeable conclusions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Most journals have restricted access to their archived papers around the 1995/1996 year mark, so even with normal library/athens access you wouldn't get these. Best bet would be inter-library loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

They may still have the written versions around in the store too which you could order.

I know they have a few issues with subscriptions - one of the girls in my class went to the library about a journal she couldn't get access too and whilst UCD had been paying the subscription you couldn't get access to the papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

If you click on the connect button in the catalogue, you'll see that the online version is only available from 02/01/1997.
    The paper version in the library however goes back to 1892 in the library and everything before is in the store.

Advertisement