Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend your dvdr media (wii)

Options
  • 11-05-2008 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

i picked up a GDR LG drive today for a tenner :)
    next step is to start backing up my wii game collection onto my usb hard drive.

after that ill burn out copies of everything.
    in the meantime, what reasonably priced media would you recommend?
    a bit of googling suggests verbatim, but before i put down the cash, can anyone recommend something cheaper / better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Nothing better than verbratins. But they are crazy dear.

I have been using Tevion DVD+R from aldi . Burning at slow speeds with img burn and have a 100% success rate so far

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tazer

You can get 10 Verbs for E4 in PC World. Cant go wrong with that. All have been succesful for me at 4x.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭antor

I have been using benq, find them great.Burned about 120 games and not one coaster. Cost €20 for 100 got them at Digital Media Direct - behind Dominics shopping centre in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just noticed ive close to 75 blanks in a drawer,
    im going to try them out and will report back on what i find.

if anyone has any other cheap alterntatives, lets hear em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

TBH i dont think you'll have issues. Just use img burn and burn them slow (2.4X or 4X)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the blanks in the drawer were cds, thatll teach me to pay attention.

anyway, picked up 100 verbatims from elara today for 26eu and theyre working great.
    started off at 8x and that was a bit hit and miss (2 working and 3 coasters)
    burning away now at 4x and everything working great.

id recommend the elara discs if you can get out that way, delivery is around 11e if you cant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Verbatim discs can vary greatly in quality as they use many different manufacturers at different times. Many recent batches have been made by Taiyo Yuden who are one of the most highly regarded manufacturers in the industry. There's a good FAQ here (other useful info in the two links at the top of the first post). The easiest way to tell if they're Taiyo Yuden (assuming they're not fakes, which they hopefully won't be if they're Verbatim or whatever brand bought in a legit shop) is by their distinct cakeboxes.

Got a 50 pack of Taiyo Yuden-made Verbatim DVD-Rs recently and they haven't let me down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Have used DVD-R, DVD+R and even DVD-RW Verbatim's successfully on my Wii. Haven't tried beyond 2x burn speed...
    (Modded with an argon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

The cheapest place in Ireland to get Verbs is Soundstore. One in Limerick not sure about the rest of the country. 15 euro for 50. Thats better than SVP.co.uk

And the DL +R Verbs 15 euros for 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Most the Verbatims I've seen in shops recently aren't Taiyo Yudens any more - Verbatim use several other manufacturers, including MCC (the parent company) who are good, but also CMC and Ritek which are cheap junk. Look them up online before buying (see http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia, http://www.cdfreaks.com/, maybe some other places).

Don't just assume Verbatim are good. Their CD-Rs I've bought (made by CMC) are pretty woeful :(

Panasonic DVD-Rs are currently Taiyo Yudens and their DVD+Rs are Ricoh (pretty decent) - quite cheap on SVP too

• Advertisement

you don't want to buy DVD DL-R for xbox 360 games. You want to get DVD DL+R. I've never had any issues or coasters with the discs I got in soundstore. Over 100 to date.

lol just released this post was about the Wii. Never mind my post about -R, +R !!!I haven't a clue about Wii burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ROC1977 wrote: »
    lol just released this post was about the Wii. Never mind my post about -R, +R !!!I haven't a clue about Wii burns.

Evidently.

Achilles wrote: »
    Evidently.

constructive post Achilles. Take you long to come up with that?

Still true about soundstore being cheapest about.

Advertisement